MS Heat Tri Club
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 53s
Overall Rank = 40/283
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 3/24
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, Ate a powerbar during the 25 min drive to the race site. Found my transition spot and setup. Chatted with some friends.
Event warmup:

Quick 2 min jog and some stretching.
Swim
  • 03m 25s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since the swim is my strongest leg I like to take it out strong. My sighting was poor and I was even worse at actually swimming where I wanted to go. I also sighted way too often. My next race is longer so I'm hoping that will make me settle down which will help with this.
What would you do differently?:

Swim where I want to go.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

The one piece left slowing me down in T1 is my socks. I've been too much of a weenie to go sockless so I probably can shed between 15 to 20 seconds by scrapping the socks. Once I do that I can try leaving my shoes on the bike and then maybe drop another 10 to 15 seconds. I think I was about as fast here as I could have been while still putting on socks and shoes. (5/24)

Learn to go sockless and leave shoes on bike.
Bike
  • 24m 49s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode pretty hard here and did so hoping that the training for my half marathon that I ran two weeks ago was going to get me through the run. It took me three miles to catch my breath from the swim and T1. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with this leg. It is clearly my weakness and I'm going to concentrate on the bike for my next race two weeks away.

Just need more training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

This went really well considering. I took my feet out of my shoes, tossed my leg over my top tube and coasted to the dismount line. While hopping off the bike my shoe came unclipped (oops) I've practiced this many times before and never had my shoe come off. I continued past the timing mat and lay my bike down and ran back to retrieve it. One of the volunteers tossed it my way. I picked it up and gathered my back and continued on. I suppose I was lucky there weren't too many folks behind me. I was still second fastest in my 'age group'. Fastest guy had my by 4 seconds. If I didn't lose my shoe it would have been close (2/24)

Not have my shoe fall off?

Run
  • 15m 59s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 FLYING. I wasn't sure how this was going to pan out so I tried to set a strong pace that I thought I could sustain. At the turn around I felt good so I just kept pushing. Had a strong kick at the end but not so strong that I felt like I left too much on the course. I'm pretty pleased with my pace. Need to go try another 5k out and see how my speed has progressed. Looks like the next one will be June 11, one week after my next tri (oly)

Probably nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

hands on knees. huffed and puffed. Ate a donut and had a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of time on the bike. I've still got lots of room to improve here. I also have some aero bars I'm going to have installed for my next race. Hopefully that'll help some (if I can get used to riding on them in time.

Event comments:

This is a fantastic race for first timers and a pretty good race overall for what it is. Very short and close to my house :) Well done MS Heat!

I'm also really pleased with my 3rd place in my division. They only gave out hardware for the overall clyde winner so that was a little bit of a bummer. No worries though. I'm thinking/hoping that this will be my last year to be able to race as a clyde. I have another race in my sights for later in the summer that I'll probably race age group regardless.

Last updated: 2011-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:25 | 273 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 9/283
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:24:49 | 08 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 61/283
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the subdivision, turn right, down 2 miles, turn around, 3.5 miles (passing the subdivision) turn around, back 1.5 miles to subdivision entrance. Downhill to TA
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good