United States
Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
50F / 10C
Total Time = 1h 36m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/258
Pre-race routine:

Slept better than I usually do. Got up at 4:30 and had half a bagel and got things ready to go.
Event warmup:

Got there early, rested, portapotty visit and just ran around the parking lot a bit to warm up.
Run
  • 1h 36m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year I was way too far back in the coral and had a lot of traffic to get through. They had an area in the front for those of us with "preferred start" on our bibs. Not sure if they based that on previous years times or what but it worked and had me start in a good spot.
Started down Lombardi ave took a left and Holy Wind Batman! No surprise but still sucked. The way the course is laid out it was mostly a cross wind but very strong. I decided to push from the start and see what was left for the last 5k. A couple of weeks age I did Oshkosh with a chest cold and really suffered at the end coming in in about 1:43 so I wanted to see if it was my conditioning or other factors.
I have always wanted to break the 1:35 mark but just can't quite do it. I think I would need to focus just on run to make that happen but I am getting closer.
Race was uneventful and I was pleased with the effort but was dreading the last few miles but to my surprise I felt great and mile 11 was one of my fastest of the day! I started to do the math but the last 1.5 miles had a lot of headwind that made my goal impossible.
As I came to the finish I heard footsteps and a gal passed me at the line. We had gone back and forth a few times in the last 6 miles. When I congratulated her on a great finish she told me she needed to break 1:37 to get into a race in New York so that was awesome.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was happy to set a PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for Mary and Nick but they were not around so after about 10 minutes I got a massage as there was no line at all, then found Mary. Had a beer and brat and headed back to the hotel so they could get the breakfast and I would have time to shower before heading home.

Event comments:

I have always liked this race. It is huge but very well run and if you seed yourself right it does not feel crouded at all after the first mile. Always lots of aid and water stations with tons of help. And as I said nice and flat just the way I like my runs.

Last updated: 2011-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:56 | 13.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/258
Overall: 178/
Performance: Good
Course: Love this course, flat and fast!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 11:04 AM

User image

Marshfield Wi
Subject: Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

2011-05-16 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3501577

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

Awesome race! Those winds were totally brutal - although the full marathoners definitely took the brunt of it. Huge congrats on a PR!! Especially considering the conditions!

2011-05-18 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3501577

User image

Marshfield Wi
Subject: RE: Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

They had us run too far! Glad they corrected the mistake.

New time  1:35:50 at pace of 7:18 per. Much closer to my goal. Perhaps I can break the personal barrier of 1:35 next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon Rss Feed