Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Coming to Phoenix, anyone want a visitor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-18 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: Coming to Phoenix, anyone want a visitor?

I am selling arcade equipment to a company out in Phoenix and will be shipping it out and following it late next week.  The duration of my stay is up in the air, but will probably be for a week or so this time. I might be coming back for a longer stay shortly thereafter.

Once my warehouse is emptied I will be actively looking for work, so I plan on checking out some other companies while I'm out there.  I'm selling to a place called Jambo Fun Park, and I will likely have an interview with Peter Piper Pizza while I'm there, as I've talked to them in the past and the hiring manager for my position(s) is based in Phoenix.  (Position I am looking for is called Technical Manager or similar, depending on the company. Basically I would be the head technician keeping games and attractions running right.)

If I get a chance I'd like to meet up with some friendly BTrs as it would be my first visit to the area and it's always nice to be shown around. I might bring my bike, but the visit might be too short to get much use out of it.  Will depend somewhat on whether I can borrow a case for the flight back. Flying Southwest so it wouldn't be horribly expensive to bring it back, and I could ship it out on the truck with the games if I wanted to.

I know the zip code of where I'm going to be is 85028. Also will be traveling to their Mesa location, 85210.

2011-05-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3506940

User image

Subject: RE: Coming to Phoenix, anyone want a visitor?
Make sure you take the time to hike Squaw Peak, Camelback and if you find someone local to run with, running the trails in the Squaw Peak area is surreal.

Have fun and good luck.
2011-05-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3506940

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd be game but I don't arrive back home for another few weeks.  Definitely Piestewa (Squaw) Peak but watch out for those pesky rattlesnakes!
2011-05-18 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3507052

User image

thebigb - 2011-05-18 5:53 PM I'd be game but I don't arrive back home for another few weeks.  Definitely Piestewa (Squaw) Peak but watch out for those pesky rattlesnakes!

All the years and literally hundreds of times I went up SP, never saw a Rattle Snake there, that's I believe one of the most hiked trail in the USA, too much human traffic for it to be anything other than a very rare occurrence. Now on some of the running and mtn bike trails in the area, that's another story.
2011-05-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3507085

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

crusevegas - 2011-05-18 7:10 PM
thebigb - 2011-05-18 5:53 PM I'd be game but I don't arrive back home for another few weeks.  Definitely Piestewa (Squaw) Peak but watch out for those pesky rattlesnakes!

All the years and literally hundreds of times I went up SP, never saw a Rattle Snake there, that's I believe one of the most hiked trail in the USA, too much human traffic for it to be anything other than a very rare occurrence. Now on some of the running and mtn bike trails in the area, that's another story.

I've seen them on Piestewa mid week when traffic is light but was more referring to some of the other trails that are a blast to run.  Weekend is probably a different story because it does get crowded but I stay away from there and Camelback on Sat and Sun.  If I want a weekend trail I'll head to McDowell Preserve or up into Cave Creek Rec Area.

2011-05-18 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3507091

User image

thebigb - 2011-05-18 6:15 PM

I've seen them on Piestewa mid week when traffic is light but was more referring to some of the other trails that are a blast to run.  Weekend is probably a different story because it does get crowded but I stay away from there and Camelback on Sat and Sun.  If I want a weekend trail I'll head to McDowell Preserve or up into Cave Creek Rec Area.

Did they change the name of Squaw Peak to Piestewa? I have not heard it called that before, but I've been away from there for close to 10 yrs. For about 3 yrs I use to run it nearly every day when I had an office by the Point, short run there do the hike up and jump in the pool when I got back hit the shower and back to work. I can't recall seeing any snakes on any of the running trails, but I'd always keep that in the back of my mind to be aware. Where on the hike up SP have you seen them?

2011-05-18 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3507166

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
crusevegas - 2011-05-18 8:00 PM
thebigb - 2011-05-18 6:15 PM

Did they change the name of Squaw Peak to Piestewa? I have not heard it called that before, but I've been away from there for close to 10 yrs. For about 3 yrs I use to run it nearly every day when I had an office by the Point, short run there do the hike up and jump in the pool when I got back hit the shower and back to work. I can't recall seeing any snakes on any of the running trails, but I'd always keep that in the back of my mind to be aware. Where on the hike up SP have you seen them?

Yeah they changed it a number of years ago because squaw is apparently a derogatory word to the native americans.  So they named it after Lori Piestewa who was a female, AZ soldier that died in the second gulf war I believe.  It is also the Piestewa Parkway now as well although really nobody calls either of them Piestewa, 99% of valley dwellers still say Squaw Peak.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Coming to Phoenix, anyone want a visitor? Rss Feed