St. Luke's Half Marathon
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 35s
Overall Rank = 763/3027
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, at a bagel with peanut butter and drank some coffee, fed the cats, and loaded up the car. I got there way to early, so I listened to the radio in the car for awhile before heading to the gym to find the pace group.
Event warmup:

It consisted of staying with the pace group in the gym for as long as possible. Our leader ignored the announcements to go outside so as to keep warm (she had short sleeves and didn't have the luxury of homemade arm warmers as I did-- I fashioned them out of old socks). I didn't do any physical warmup at all other than to leave the arm warmers on until the start of the race. I had no problems with temperature after that in shorts and short sleeves. No headcovering needed this year-- this hair comes in handy!
Run
  • 1h 50m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. I went with a slower pace group than last year, basing my estimate on the times I'd gotten in 5- and 10-mi races earlier in the season, and it was just about right. I actually felt really good crossing the finish line. I definitely had to push myself at times, especially around mile 9 or so, but the way I felt at the end made me wonder if I should've done the 1:45 pace group like last year. I didn't turn my mp3 player on at the start, figuring I would when I needed a boost. I tried to at around mile 9 and discovered that it was out of power. I didn't really miss it that much and it's good practice for those races when it won't be an option.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I didn't do any speedwork this year, and it showed. Coming back from my hip injury, I'd kind of decided just to get my mileage base back and not worry about speed yet.
Post race
Warm down:

Much better than last year, because it was above 60 and dry, so I wasn't freezing. Again, having hair on my head helped, too! I did have some trouble breathing right after and wished I'd had my inhaler.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speedwork.

Event comments:

Food wasn't that great, and it's no fun walking down those stadium steps to leave, either, but overall it's a great event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:35 | 13.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3027
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills. Mostly roads, but a section about half-way into it goes through a park and is on gravel/dirt trails. It got kind of crowded and didn't really clear out until around the last third of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes