View Member's Race Log
Mukilteo, Washington
United States
Total Time = 1h 38m 10s
Overall Rank = 1/1
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed all gear last night, rechecked it this morning (mental list). I think I will write out a list for these, since I almost forgot the cap I wear for the bike and run (to cover the wet head).
Event warmup:

Walk from home to the Y (about 5 minutes) then down the hall and to the locker room and pool. Did one lap wramup before starting timer.
Swim
  • 20m 54s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

My usual slow pace, but everything about the swim felt pretty good. Even if my speed does not improve much, I feel comfortable in the swim, and will have good energy for the bike and run legs. There were a few times when I felt I needed more air, so I would take two breaths on one side and two on the other (rather than alternating every time) and this worked OK.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I can do -- except work on a little more speed.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

Since this is indoors at the Y, time is somewhat restricted to the walk from pool area to the bikes. I think my changing of clothes went OK. I wore jog bra under my swimsuit, took off suit, put on shorts, socks, shoes (used shoe horn which worked well for my tighter in the heel shoes), glasses and cap to cover wet head. Took CarbBoom with me to have on the bike.

Wear a light colored tee shirt for the bike and run so the wet water spots from the jog bra are not QUITE so prominent.
Bike
  • 36m 21s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Pedal strap came off one side of the pedal and since it was loudly clunking on the side of the machine, I had to stop pedalling to work the strap off the other side of pedal. Had CarbBoom in middle of ride. Seemed to work OK -- until the end when I felt a little crampy. But that didn't last long, so will try this in my training. It's hard to concentrate and stay at a consistent pace on an indoor! And it is so terribly boring. I did have a little distraction as I kept watching the busy treadmills wondering if I would get one -- "oh that person is getting off -- uh oh, someone else is getting on; hmmm, those two look like they have been on a long time, I wonder....". In the long run, there were two availble to me a the end of the cycling.

Try to ensure that the pedal straps are on correctly and tightly. This may be hard to do since I probably won't be at the bike the morning I start the swim. At least, I will give it a tug when I get on. Put bke seat at #6.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Easy trip to the nearest treadmill -- after worrying that I might not get one.

nothing. Maybe have a plan for in case a treadmill is not available to me. Like maybe do the eliptial.
Run
  • 35m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with a 1 minute walk (for the brick) and 7 minute run and would continue this for the 3 miles (I thought). About half way through, I felt a pain on the inside of my right knee, so slowed to a walk for several minutes (don't know how many as I was concentrating on the knee). Gradually worked from very slow jog up to my faster paced jog until the end. Fortunately the pain did not return -- had it, I would have stopped. One thing more is, as I got closer to the finish I could feel my sock bunching up at the toe -- I would not have been able to run much longer.

Try again to run the entire 3 miles without walking any of it. Get new -- really good running socks.
Post race
Warm down:

5 minutes slow walk on treadmill. Recovery heart rate was around 24 -- not as good as it usually is. During training it is often 34 or more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pedal strap coming loose; knee pain during run; socks bunching a toe; more training need in the run especially.

Event comments:

Doing these Mocks helps me determine what I need to change and/or be aware of for the "real" thing. I will try to do at least one more before June 26th triathlon.

Last updated: 2004-02-20 7:34 PM
Swimming
00:20:54 | 800 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1
Performance: Average
Avg. HR: 146; Max HR: 153
Suit: swim suit with jog bra
Course: Indoor pool -- had my own lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average