Redemption Race Productions
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 32m 23s
Overall Rank = 129/279
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at the hotel and made my coffee and oatmeal, packed up and headed over to the race site.
Event warmup:

None. Used the potty (A real bathroom, yea!) and stretched a little, but no actual warm up.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

They were starting the swim by 4 waves (Men 0-29, Women 0-29, Men 30+, Women 30+) but also by time trial, 3 swimmers every 10 seconds. The race director announced that any "stud" swimmers, including ladies could start in the first wave. I took advantage of that and was probably the 4th or 5th group of 3 to go, so no jostling, just nice open water to swim in. My hands hit a couple of rocks under the water, and I fell trying to exit when I stepped on a large slippery rock that I couldn't see underwater. Swim time included the run from the swim exit up to transition. I think the swim may have been longer than 400 meters, this was a slow time for me and I didn't feel I was swimming that slow!

Female ranking: 23/117
What would you do differently?:

Warmed up! I could really feel it in my quads, had to really concentrate on not kicking so much. I felt like I went out too fast, but settled in by the turnaround. Never felt like I got my smooth rhythm going.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Had a good run up to transition... T1 time probably was a little longer than it normally would be since I had covered up my handlebars with a trash bag to keep my Garmin and my glasses/helmet dry. I also took a few seconds to ditch the sunglasses, with the rain, it was obvious I wouldn't need them.

AG 1/4
OA 72/279

Not cover up my handlebars with a trash bag, and decide earlier not to wear the sunglasses.
Bike
  • 45m 34s
  • 13.35 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Worst part was there was light rain the entire ride and the roads were wet. There were quite a few wipe outs, luckily not me! I was able to ride pretty much normally, but slowed WAY down on the sharp turns. Twice I felt my back tire wanting to slip as I braked, but as soon as I let up on the brakes I was fine. Kept my cadence up, but my legs were tired... even after 2 days of rest. I could really feel them the first few miles and even ate a couple of Shot Blox early on. I felt much better by the turnaround. I had a few young guys pass me right at the beginning, then I held my own and passed a few people along the way. A few more speedy people passed me right before we made it back to the dismount area.

Female ranking: 18/117

Warm up the legs a little more! I also should have eaten my Gu as I was finishing up the ride, I needed it on the run... I was happy with my performance considering the road conditions.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I'm still having a hard time getting my running shoes on while standing up! I think I could really cut down my times if I could sit on a *gasp* bucket or milk crate!

AG: 1/4
OA: 91/279

Nothing, pretty good T2.
Run
  • 35m 25s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good running out of transition, and then I hit the hill... short, steep, ugh. Ran as much as I could, but heart was racing, so I walked up most of the rest and then settled into a good pace for the rest. I didn't have my Garmin, but I think I actually got faster as the run progressed. They had no mile markers along the route, which may have been good, I just kept plodding along. Quite a few young guys passed me because I started with them for the swim. At one point I was all alone! Finally I reached the downhill back towards the finish and I had to hold back so I didn't get running too fast! I was able to sprint a little over the finish line. Other than walking a small amount of the hill at the beginning I ran the whole thing...

Female ranking: 75/117

Wear the Garmin? I probably could have sped up my pace a bit if I had that info on my wrist. Need to keep working on the run AND the bike... oh, and eat a Gu/Shot Blox BEFORE I finish up the bike, even if tummy is saying no!
Post race
Warm down:

None... used the bathroom, waited for Tammy to come back from the bike and head out on the run and cheered her into the finish. Packed up my stuff and took it to the car when we got the okay to take bikes out, then waited for awards, Stood in line for some yummy kielbasa wraps!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been putting in some training volume the past few weeks and I don't think I had enough recovery... seems to take me longer to recover from hard training these days, so even though I had 2 rest days before the race, my legs still felt fatigued. I'm still not happy with where my bike fitness is, and as always, never satisfied with the run... I really want to be able to run UNDER 10:00 miles in a race! The rain was also a big issue on the bike.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race and would definitely recommend it... I hope to do it again next year with hopefully better weather! And run faster... I lost 1st place due to the run, I was 1st AG in everything EXCEPT the run, argh! I missed 1st by 01:17!

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 437 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 68/279
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Out and back in a narrow river. Low current. Rocks bottom, and they had marked some swim lanes to avoid large rocks that were underwater.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:34 | 13.35 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 91/279
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, prettiest bike leg I've done in a tri. Narrow 2 lane road with no shoulders, a few rollers but nothing major, nice stretch along the river. Race director said 12.5 miles, Garmin said 13.35.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:25 | 03.3 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 207/279
Performance: Average
Course: 3.3 mile loop, with a short steep hill right out of transition. The rest was pretty flat, all paved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes