Toast with jam, Gatorade, 1/4 cliff bar
Event warmup:

Bathroom, 2 min jog, stretch, dynamic stretch
Run
  • 1h 31m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first Half Marathon that was a road race. I had done a few HM trail runs and a couple 20-25k trail runs. I didn't know what to expect, but from talking to people who had run this race as well as trail runs, I figured 1:35 should be my goal.

With that in mind my goal paces were about 7:15. I started off to fast with the first mile that was flat and intense (typical fast start). I then settled into a good pace for the first 5k. Took the only real "hill" (would be considered a bump in most trail runs :) ) probably too slow. I kept slowing myself down. I would check my garmin and see i was always running around 6:50, then tell myself to slow so I wouldn't hit the wall. My HR was perfect even with some fast splits. Since this was my first one i really kept to my game plan until 5k to go. I felt great and figured with adrenaline and desire I could run negative splits the rest of the way. Well that was pretty much true. I crossed the finish line with much more in the tank than the last trail HM which was 1:45. Some of it may have been training. But i think most of it was 1500ft+ less hills, and sure footing the whole way. The city of windsor and Events with Sole put on a great race. I finished about 4 minutes under my goal of 1:35, and got to see my friend finish 2nd overall with a solid run.
What would you do differently?:

Raced more to my HR. I think i could have pushed it more and started the kick slightly sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

met up with friends, food, drink, talk, cheering. Great weather and beautiful day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability to pace on a road coarse. With proper pacing, i think i could have gone sub 1:30. However talk is cheap, next time I must prove it. Rely on the HR and RPE more than splits.

Event comments:

Gave out bottles of wine to the overall and AG winners which was great. Tech shirts came in the race packet as well as very cool running hats at the finish line. Plus a ribbon for AG win. Lots of vendors for a "smaller" race and breakfast served by the Windsor FD afterwards. Great smaller race venue with a fun course and great volunteers and staff!

Last updated: 2011-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:41 | 13.1 miles | 06m  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 11/652
Performance: Good
6.42...7.14...7.16...6.52...7.04...7.45...6.42...6.53...7.15...7.04...6.55...6.57...6.38...(5.56 for .1) Average HR = 163 HR Max= 175
Course: 300ft total....relatively flat. "hills" were pretty much done at mile 6. Through city, farms, and vineyards.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes