The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 27s
Overall Rank = 521/1620
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 64/132
Pre-race routine:

I don't normally sleep well before a race and since I was getting up early I slept in the guest room. Got up at 0400 went downstairs to turn on the coffee pot and was greeted by the dog. Guess she was excited for the race. Had a my "normal" pre-race breakfast (bowl of ceral, banana, OJ and coffee). Out the door by 0430 and at the race sight by 0500. I thought parking was going to be a lot worse so I probably didn't need to get there that early.
Event warmup:

Wandered around and stretched a little. Had a bag of gu chomps about 45 prior and a gu just before. I had planned on having the chomps but was feeling hungry/empty (could have been butterflies) so I decided to have it. Swam a bit to warm up but mostly just floated around.
Swim
  • 26m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was a total mosh pit. Much more than I expected and worse than Nation's last fall. Got some clear water halfway to the first turn buoy then it backed up again and never really cleared up. After the second turn buoy I got kicked hard in the head and almost had my goggles knocked off. Inhaled water a couple of times. Luckily I've done that enough in the pool that it didn't really freak me out. Got stressed a couple times but just keep telling myself to keep my head down and swim my swim. This helped me get back in a groove and keep going. Sighting was very good. I had a little trouble seeing the first buoy but it didn't matter because of the giant churning mass moving together. After than I felt like I was swimming very straight and sighting well but started drifting left a little after the final turn.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. Had a great swim. Took two minutes off my time from Nation's. Maybe start closer to the front.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s

I don't know. I apparently I'm really slow in T1...
Bike
  • 1h 18m 24s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. Thought I did a reasonably good job keeping things in check on the hills but I'm not sure given the power data. Quick look says VI of 1.12 (271 NP, 241 Avg). I think I might have take in too many fluids because started to get minor stomach cramps but nothing serious. I had about 20 oz of Gatorade and another 12 oz of water plus a gu. I think this is way too much but I was worried about bonking on the run and thought I should make sure I had enough fuel. Probably erred too far to the fueling side on this one.

Need to learn to pace better a VI of 1.12 isn't very good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s

Probably could be more efficient but not unhappy.
Run
  • 58m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Comments? Basically it sucked. My run training really fell off after the Shamrock HM because I was trying to ramp up my biking and swimming quickly. I thought I could really on my run fitness from the HM to get me through but boy was I wrong. I felt good at the start buy the first hill at 1/2 mile was a soul crusher. I thought I'd be able to keep my pace (target was HM pace which I realize was aggressive) for everything but the hills but by the climb before the ball fields I was starting to fall a part. My left quad cramped up really bad on the first climb in the neighborhood (around mile 3) and then I was reduced to a slow job and walking the hills.

Loose some weight and get my run training back on track.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggered around to get some food then laid down on the hill and watched people finish until my legs cramped up. Then I got up to stretch and wandered down the finish line to see James Blackwood propose to his girl friend (he had announced on the Maryland forum that he was planning to do it).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being overweight, not allowing myself enough time to train after Shamrock HM and not the best advantage of the time I did have.

Event comments:

Great race. Well run event. The course is challenging but not unrealistically so. You just need to be prepared for it (which I wasn't).

Last updated: 2011-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:42 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/132
Overall: 463/1620
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Sort of J-shaped course in Centennial lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No