DMSE Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 30s
Overall Rank = 1094/2252
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 182/309
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45, ate my half bagel with peanut butter and washed it down with some coffee.
Event warmup:

Walking from the shuttle drop-off to the start line and a little stretching.
Run
  • 2h 12m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a "C" race for me, which is supposed to equate to a training run with 2500 friends. But as usual, I got caught up in the event, and went out faster than planned, averaging 9:15 pace for the first 5 miles. My half mary PR pace is about 9:00/mile, so thought I'd be good. However, the hills quickly pointed out how little running I'd been doing lately (been bike focused lately), and very little hill work. So, I paid the price toward the end... the last 3 miles sucked.... no other way to say it. My HR was WAY too high for the pace I was running, so was forced to walk quite a bit toward the end, resulting in a time that was only marginally better than my run split at Lake Stevens 70.3 (which was also a hilly course). So much for an easy run on a beautiful day.
What would you do differently?:

Train more and stick to my damn race plan!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, streched and found the beer tent. Started to feel better after having two ice cold (free) beers and a pulled pork sandwich while sitting on the lawn listening to a good band...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not the fastest runner in the world, but this was bad even by my standards. Need to do more road work and hill repeats.

Event comments:

One of the best organized and supported races yet (right up there with the Rock and Roll series). My only knock was the transportation (or lack there of) back to the designated parking area (Visitor's Center). We had to rely on the Colonial Williamsburg shuttle along with all the tourists. Decided not to wait in line and walk back with some of the other racers who made the same choice. Turned out to be a lot longer walk than I thought...

Last updated: 2011-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/309
Overall: 0/2252
Performance: Bad
Avg HR: 165 Max HR: 174
Course: Flat for the first 4 miles, then few hills, followed by more hills at mile 6.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-25 8:27 AM

User image

Kingsland, Georgia
Subject: Run for the Dream

2011-05-25 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3517586

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Run for the Dream
Hey Kev,

May not have been your best race but at least you were out there. Chaulk it up to a learning experience. I'm sure you'll kick on the next one.

Rich
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Dream Rss Feed