HFP Racing
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 49s
Overall Rank = 275/304
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, breakfast; husband had eaten nearly all of the peanut butter so I made a smoothie to go along with my usual pb covered english muffin. Stomach handled the smoothie ok, even though it felt like a brick was in it all morning. Could NOT wake the husband up, but he surprised me by getting up at the last minute.
Event warmup:

Umm, does keeping myself from vomiting count? :) Got in the water, sat down in it, stuck my face in it. It wasn't as cold as I thought it might be, but I was still happy for the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 20m 12s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started by running right into the shallow end. I started swimming when I thought it was deep enough, but my hand was skimming the bottom so I ran again. With all the nerves and excitement, for some reason I didn't want to stick my face in the water, so I swam with my face out of the water and that felt ok. Then I caught up with a mob of people who were running into me, grabbing me, splashing me when I tried to breathe. I realized I was in the deep end and couldn't stop and I panicked. I entertained the thought of just flailing around and screaming so a lifeguard would come get me, but I ended up managing to swim to the island in the middle of the pool and grab the ladder for a minute. Then I swam to one of the buoys and grabbed it. Then I was able to swim back to the shallow end and walk for a minute. The second-to-last thing I wanted to do was to go back into that deep end, but the absolute LAST thing I wanted to do was quit, so I kept going. The second lap went more smoothly and by the end of it, I was able to do a somewhat normal freestyle stroke with my face in the water, but then it was time to get out!
What would you do differently?:

Probably practice more in conditions outside the swim pool. I haven't been in open water yet. Focus on breathing more. Recruit about 30 friends to swim with me and attack me while swimming until I get used to it!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were apparently untimed. Husband came to see me over the fence, so I told him about the horrible, awful swim. "But I'm going to finish, I don't care how long it takes me!" I told him. Getting to see him helped. I didn't forget everything and I clipped into my bike quickly. Wrecking while starting the bike leg was my biggest fear (after the swim) so I was happy.

Nothing
Bike
  • 43m 35s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to enjoy this leg, and I did. I probably could've pushed a little harder, but I was out to have fun and was trying to save some for the run. Some people passed me, I passed some people, just tried to keep up a regular cadence and enjoy the comeraderie and the people.

nothing, not this time around
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Helmet off, running shoes on, couple swigs of gatorade, kissed my little stuffed turtle (my good luck charm), forced my legs to start carrying me. That's about it!

Nothing
Run
  • 35m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Running was one big mental game just to keep myself going. My mind was so far gone, it was kinda like being drunk without the fun part. I broke out every mental trick I could think of just to get to the finish line. My injured leg was not protesting, but my running endurance is still not nearly back to what it used to be. I took several walk breaks but made them short, and they met more of a mental need than a physical need.

I think once I've got my mileage and running comfort level back up, this will come more naturally and will require less thought. That's probably the biggest frustration of recovery - running requires so much more effort now than it did pre-injury. I also probably wouldn't be dealing with the fried brain so much if the swim hadn't been such a bad experience. (Seriously - we ran by the pool and when I saw it, I was fighting PTSD symptoms!) I don't want to ever walk during a 5k again, not even if it's part of a tri!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Panic during the swim, limited experience, still recovering from injury

Last updated: 2011-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:12 | 766 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 280/304
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra vortex 4
Course: Insanity!! http://www.dsagc.com/attachments/3_635T4JSwimCourseLayout.pdf
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:35 | 12 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 237/304
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Down and back on a flat road. A little bumpy at times, but they marked the potholes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good