Mississippi Track Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 20s
Overall Rank = 66/250
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

I knew I should have done packet pickup the night before...it was a bit of a cluster. They didn't have a separate line for pre-registered runners, so got all situated and headed out for my warmup a little later than intended.
Event warmup:

I really wanted to warmup for at least 15 minutes, but was lucky to get 12 minutes in. Ran easy for 5 minutes and then did 20 second pickups/high cadence to get the heart rate up and to get the sweat rolling.
Run
  • 42m 20s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I had not run more than a few miles easy since doing Gulf Coast, and I had not run very often. So, I figured I would just "cruise" this race. So, it wasn't all out, but I did work it hard. I like out-and-back courses because I try and count how many women are in front of me before I get to the turnaround and then see how many I can pass on the second half. I think I moved myself up from around 22 to 15th or so. I was not expecting to place, so left before the awards. A friend was nice enough to pick up the medal for me (and it is about the cheesiest medal I've ever received).
What would you do differently?:

My effort was fine for this race. I think if I ran harder, I could squeeze in under 42 minutes (still would only have been 2nd; first place was 39 something).
Post race
Warm down:

Ran another easy mile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perhaps a bit more beer than usual the day before...

Event comments:

MTC sucks at getting results out. Takes freakin' forever, so it's not usually worth staying. And the AG awards for this race were really cheesy medals. I have put races on for years. Results are not that hard when there are only 250 runners and a nice, real medal is not that expensive.

Last updated: 2011-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:20 | 04.97 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 66/250
Performance: Good
HR averaged in the 160s. Effort level did not really feel that hard. Warmth and humidity, probably.
Course: Out and back on Highland Colony Parkway, from Soulshine Pizza to a turnaround at Dinsmore. Slightly rolling, but an easy and fast course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?