United States
Tri-PTC club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 1s
Overall Rank = 132/600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/67
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area. Check out the race route for the first transition. Try to stay warm....
Event warmup:

Light strecthing and running. Mental warm-up; talking through the whole swim course. Staying warm by moving/strecthing until the first wave starts.
Swim
  • 13m 4s
  • 485 meters
  • 02m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Weakest leg of my race. This time I managed to maintain a calm swim. Overall, I feel good about the result. I know I have a lot to work in the swim leg. Natural breaststroker -- swam it the entire course. Next season's goal: freestayle all the way!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing -- except develop my freestyle stroke for future races. I also need to spend time to meditate in order to prep the mind for open water swim. Considering I can swim this distant under 12 minutes in a 50m pool, I think I can do better in prepping my mental power and stay calm and relax for the entire swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I was in the verge of pushing off racers in front of me as I struggle to dash to the transition area. Lost time in the swim, no time to waste for the rest of the course.

Nothing -- felt good in general.
Bike
  • 37m 21s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Biked fast for the first 2 miles to compensate for my slow swim. I was expecting a flatter course but all is well. I thought I did what I had planned and overall feels great.

Get a new bike..a better machine and go clipless. Saving up money now .. I know I will improve my biking.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Nothing exciting to report....

With clipless and a new bike next season -- things will be interesting.... Must trim of about 5 minutes here ....
Run
  • 23m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

It took me about a mile to settle into the run. Pacing was delibarately slow for the first mile. It's always good to pick a spot to chase. I was running neck to neck with a good runner until the last water station. I decided it was time to sprint for the last mile. Overall, had a great run however I have someone to chase during the last mile -- I was alone right to the finish line :( It shows, I hate running alone!

Run faster!! I know I have the legs for it. Try not to be too conservative in my strategy and trust my legs. Must try to find run rhythm sooner perhaps by 0.5 miles instead of mile 1. Next goal to trim of 3 minutes in my 5k time.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoy a cold icy botle water and walk around. This time I took advantage of the free massage -- my back was tight throughout the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lacking in swimming skills. I rely on breaststroke. I have had swam the entire 750m and 1 mile swim course with breaststroke before. I need to relearn freestyle in order to be more competitive. Getting a tri-bike with a better machine can definitely cut down my seconds/minutes. But I am extremely happy with my performance as a whole this season, including this race. First tri season is over for me now. Time to rest and re-evaluate my goals and training.

Event comments:

The best organized tri event that I have participated this season. Bravo to the race director and her entire team. I am in favor with the staggered swim start -- never liked massive wave starts.

Last updated: 2005-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:04 | 485 meters | 02m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 48/67
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Average
Suit: NO
Course: Warm waters ..... L-swim course. Muddy lake surface at the end of swim course -- it was a challenge not getting feet stuck in the muddy surface.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:21 | 12.4 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/67
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills -- last mile was the worst for me. A tad hilly for my legs. But, it's a good bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/67
Course: Golf cart course and shady.....first mile is quite hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-27 11:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Tri-Peachtree City Triathlon

2005-08-28 3:12 AM
in reply to: #235601

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri-Peachtree City Triathlon
Congratulations. Looks like you did really well, especially on the bike. Once you get that freestyle thing down, you will be unstoppable.
2005-08-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: #235601

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Tri-Peachtree City Triathlon
Great race!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you, afterwards.  One of the guys mentioned that you were at the race, but couldn't find you when we were trying to put a group picture together.  Looks like you had a good time, though.  You did great on the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Peachtree City Triathlon Rss Feed