2011-06-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3529399

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida
tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:11 PM
Goosedog - 2011-06-02 12:54 PM

tikicult - 2011-06-02 1:50 PM Interesting... another way to make sure the poor stay poor right?

Who does this benefit?

Right now, the only people benefiting are the drug testing centers. They will be paid by the state to run a program which has been proven in the past to be a waste of money. The alternative would be to quit treating drug users like dregs of society and actually address the issues that lead to their drug problems. Get them treatment, and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives. I think this is a much better solution than just saying "No money for you" Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.

I'm just curious, what on earth does "...and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives." mean?

What does this look like?  An individual drug treatment plan and individualized after care for each drug addict?  At whose expense?  What if a drug addict doesn't have a "crappie" life, they're just an addict, what then?  Or is it, in your opinion, a truism that drug addicts must have crappy lives in order to be addicts?

What if by all measuarable standards their lives actually aren't crappy, then what?  Does the government expend money to change the person's life to the person's satisfaction?

Edited by Brock Samson 2011-06-02 1:30 PM

2011-06-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3529429

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
DanielG - 2011-06-02 2:25 PM
tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:11 PM Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.
Neither of which is illegal so that does not follow.

Right. I agree.  The issue that does need to be addressed is that there is a percentage of individuals that receives government subsidies of various types.  The eligibility for these subsidies is economic need based.  However, a certain percentage of these receipients are buying drugs, either directly with government subsidized monies or with the money the save by not having to pay for things that are subsidized by receiving government monies. 

And as DanielG pointed out, buying drugs is illegal.  Shouldn't something be done?

Edited by Brock Samson 2011-06-02 1:29 PM
2011-06-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3529431

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 1:25 PM
I'm just curious, what on earth does "...and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives." mean?

What does this look like?  An individual drug treatment plan and individualized after care for each drug addict?  At whose expense?  What if a drug addict doesn't have a "crappie" life, they're just an addict, what then?  Or is it, in your opinion, a truism that drug addicts must have crappy lives in order to be addicts?

What if by all measuarable standards their lives actually aren't crappy, then what?  Does the government expend money to change the person's life to the person's satisfaction?

Drug addiction has been linked to be heavily influenced by one's environment.

Summary of study with links to the paper: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Rat_park
2011-06-02 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
tikicult - 2011-06-02 12:11 PM

tikicult - 2011-06-02 1:50 PM Interesting... another way to make sure the poor stay poor right?

Who does this benefit?

Right now, the only people benefiting are the drug testing centers. They will be paid by the state to run a program which has been proven in the past to be a waste of money.The alternative would be to quit treating drug users like dregs of society and actually address the issues that lead to their drug problems. Get them treatment, and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives. I think this is a much better solution than just saying "No money for you"Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.

Edited by powerman 2011-06-02 1:50 PM
2011-06-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3528881

User image

Elite

Ya, because only people that live a crappy life use drugs. Paleease! We all know rich people do not use drugs. I'm so saddened by Sheens crappy life that he has to use all those drugs.

Addiction is a disease, one that should be treated as such IF... IF the user wants to change, and needs help doing it. Until then it is all wasted money...... not to mention..... as hard as it is to belive..... you can actually stop using drugs without spending one penny. I know right!!! Who knew??? Been going on for decades.

Edited by powerman 2011-06-02 1:50 PM
2011-06-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3529477

User image

Elite

tikicult - 2011-06-02 12:46 PM
Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 1:25 PM I'm just curious, what on earth does "...and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives." mean?

Drug addiction has been linked to be heavily influenced by one's environment. Summary of study with links to the paper: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Rat_park [/QUOTE]

Right, because it is not possible for one's living environment to be heavily influenced by the drugs they use and the decisions they make?????

Edited by powerman 2011-06-02 1:57 PM

2011-06-02 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3529440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 2:29 PM
tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:11 PM Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.

Right. I agree.  The issue that does need to be addressed is that there is a percentage of individuals that receives government subsidies of various types.  The eligibility for these subsidies is economic need based.  However, a certain percentage of these receipients are buying drugs, either directly with government subsidized monies or with the money the save by not having to pay for things that are subsidized by receiving government monies. 

And as DanielG pointed out, buying drugs is illegal.  Shouldn't something be done?

What really bothers me that this done under the umbrella of fiscal responsibility and holding people accountable when in reality is a drive to get rid of social programs. Yes, some assistance recipients use drugs.  Some of them buy it with that money that they obtain, but that is a very small minority.  So in order to combat that very small percentage we create a system that will cost more money to implement than the saving that it will bring by cutting that assistance to ineligible users, so no real benefit to the taxpayers.

The only ones that will benefit from all this are the clinics where these tests are administered, and guess who is a big player in that business, yeap the Governor who signed this bill into law.

Isn't anyone else bothered by the hypocrisy?  I’m only basing my statement on the financial side, I have an even bigger problem with the human and moral side but I won’t even go there again.

2011-06-02 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3529477

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:46 PM
Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 1:25 PM I'm just curious, what on earth does "...and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives." mean?

Drug addiction has been linked to be heavily influenced by one's environment. Summary of study with links to the paper: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Rat_park
/>
That's great.  A 1970's experiment on opiate addicted rats...great...but that doesn't answer my question.

So are you proposing that whatever "crappy" environment that the person is in, the government pay to change this "crappy" environment?

Is this a subjective test or an objective test?  Is there some line that the government will say "no that's not a 'crappy' enough environment so you don't get taken out of your 'crappy environment' or is it purely the addicts call?

You assert the governmental money would best be used by getting people into an environment in which they don't need drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives.  You then support your argument with a study linking drug addiction to the addicts environment.

I say "So What!"  This doesn't answer the practical question that I posed and I will again pose....what does this look like?  How is it accomplished?  Given the myriad of different drug addicts from differing socio-economic strata, and differing cultural up bringings, how do you effectuate this postive environmental change?

I have no idea why this came out underlined...not intended and I have no idea how to fix it.

Edited by Brock Samson 2011-06-02 2:03 PM
2011-06-02 2:38 PM

User image

NC
tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:11 PM

Who does this benefit?

Right now, the only people benefiting are the drug testing centers. They will be paid by the state to run a program which has been proven in the past to be a waste of money. The alternative would be to quit treating drug users like dregs of society and actually address the issues that lead to their drug problems. Get them treatment, and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives. I think this is a much better solution than just saying "No money for you" Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.

Thanks, but I was asking who benefits from making sure the "poor stay poor?"

2011-06-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3529596

User image

Expert
CenTex

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed mulitple times in previous threads but it would apply here.)  This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

While we're at it, why not make welfare recipients work?  Give them 3 (or 4) opportunities for jobs that are equal to or better than their previous employment.  If they turn down all 3 (or 4) opportunities or fail to maintain employment for a specific period of time, perhaps 12-18 months, they are removed from the welfare roles.  (If they don't have a job history, any job will do.Didn't mean to hijack...

2011-06-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3529623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 4:02 PM

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed mulitple times in previous threads but it would apply here.)  This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

While we're at it, why not make welfare recipients work?  Give them 3 (or 4) opportunities for jobs that are equal to or better than their previous employment.  If they turn down all 3 (or 4) opportunities or fail to maintain employment for a specific period of time, perhaps 12-18 months, they are removed from the welfare roles.  (If they don't have a job history, any job will do.Didn't mean to hijack...

I like all those ideas. 

2011-06-02 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3529509

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 12:57 PM

What really bothers me that this done under the umbrella of fiscal responsibility and holding people accountable when in reality is a drive to get rid of social programs. Yes, some assistance recipients use drugs.  Some of them buy it with that money that they obtain, but that is a very small minority.  So in order to combat that very small percentage we create a system that will cost more money to implement than the saving that it will bring by cutting that assistance to ineligible users, so no real benefit to the taxpayers.

The only ones that will benefit from all this are the clinics where these tests are administered, and guess who is a big player in that business, yeap the Governor who signed this bill into law.

Isn't anyone else bothered by the hypocrisy?  I’m only basing my statement on the financial side, I have an even bigger problem with the human and moral side but I won’t even go there again.

Unfortunately for the sake of your argument you don't have any proof that it will end up costing the tax payer money. According to the article you posted the tests cost $10 - $25. Taking that much out of their handout check to pay for tests is not going to make anyone starve to death. So there, problem solved, didn't cost us anything we weren't already paying and we get to deny handouts to people who are buying drugs.

You need a lot more hard facts to argue the fiscal side of this. You need to know exactly how much the testing will cost. You need to know how many people will be off the because of this. And you need to know how many people aren't going to bother applying for a handout because they know they can't stay clean enough to get one. Oh and then you need to know how many people stop using drugs so they can get the handout thus relieving costs to the judicial, penal, and rehab facilities. Perhaps one of those who gets off drugs because of this goes on to open a center to keep kids of drugs and saves us all a bundle of money in the process.

It is easy to say this is going to cost a fortune and make a bundle of money for the drug testers. But it is a whole nother thing to prove.

2011-06-02 3:50 PM

User image

Elite
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 2:02 PM

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed mulitple times in previous threads but it would apply here.This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

The only problem I have is why should you make money off me doing what I am free to do??? Why? Cars need roads... and as such cars are taxed to pay for roads. SS pays out money, and as such we are taxed to pay for that. We all use federal highways, so we pay for that with gas tax.

But just because sombody wants to smoke, or drink, or gamble or possible use drugs, why do you all of a sudden see this huge revenue stream???

If alcohol puts a financial burden on society, then tax it. If drug use puts a burden on society due to regulation, rehab, and health care for it's users, then tax it's users.

You pay user fees to run races... but I tell you what.. I need some new roads.... I say we should tax triathletes for new roads. Let's tax running shoes and bike sales 25%... that should bring in huge revenues. How would you like that..... it would even be better if we could use that money to pay for the poor unfortunate souls addicted to drugs and send them to rehab so they can get healthy too. Win Win!

2011-06-02 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3529686

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Aarondb4 - 2011-06-02 4:40 PM

Unfortunately for the sake of your argument you don't have any proof that it will end up costing the tax payer money. According to the article you posted the tests cost $10 - $25. Taking that much out of their handout check to pay for tests is not going to make anyone starve to death. So there, problem solved, didn't cost us anything we weren't already paying and we get to deny handouts to people who are buying drugs.

You need a lot more hard facts to argue the fiscal side of this. You need to know exactly how much the testing will cost. You need to know how many people will be off the because of this. And you need to know how many people aren't going to bother applying for a handout because they know they can't stay clean enough to get one. Oh and then you need to know how many people stop using drugs so they can get the handout thus relieving costs to the judicial, penal, and rehab facilities. Perhaps one of those who gets off drugs because of this goes on to open a center to keep kids of drugs and saves us all a bundle of money in the process.

It is easy to say this is going to cost a fortune and make a bundle of money for the drug testers. But it is a whole nother thing to prove.

Hand outs, really?  I certainly hope that you never fall in hard times and have someone with those opinions on the giving end.  I will leave at that.

Those hard facts already exist, a pilot program was run during the previous administration and it wasn’t implemented because of the cost to benefit ratio.

2011-06-02 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3529509

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

What really bothers me that this done under the umbrella of fiscal responsibility and holding people accountable when in reality is a drive to get rid of social programs.

Or maybe it is to stop people who are in theory cheating the system from doing so.  The facts are that most people support helping those who can not help themselves.  But the majority also wish that people would hold themselves accountable for taking care of one's self. 

There is definitely a case to be made that those on drugs will continue to need assistence until such time as they stop taking drugs.  Many jobs do require drug testing.  And many people taking drugs are unable to hold down a job.  (PLEASE NOTE I SAID MANY not ALL)

It is not my job or societies job to fix everyones life, and it is not our responsiblity to pay for rehab. 
2011-06-02 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
On a side note:  While I agree with this new law, I wonder how it would be handled in a place like Colorado, where Marijuana has now been legalized for those with a Medical Marijuana card (Basically anyone who wants one).  From a Federal standpoint it is still illegal.

2011-06-02 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3529702

User image

Expert
CenTex
powerman - 2011-06-02 3:50 PM

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed mulitple times in previous threads but it would apply here.This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

The only problem I have is why should you make money off me doing what I am free to do??? Why? Cars need roads... and as such cars are taxed to pay for roads. SS pays out money, and as such we are taxed to pay for that. We all use federal highways, so we pay for that with gas tax.

But just because sombody wants to smoke, or drink, or gamble or possible use drugs, why do you all of a sudden see this huge revenue stream???

If alcohol puts a financial burden on society, then tax it. If drug use puts a burden on society due to regulation, rehab, and health care for it's users, then tax it's users.

You pay user fees to run races... but I tell you what.. I need some new roads.... I say we should tax triathletes for new roads. Let's tax running shoes and bike sales 25%... that should bring in huge revenues. How would you like that..... it would even be better if we could use that money to pay for the poor unfortunate souls addicted to drugs and send them to rehab so they can get healthy too. Win Win!

I don't necessarily condone a tax on drugs, should they be legalized, but I'm a realist and they will be taxed just as other consumables are.  The billions of $ would come from ending the war on drugs, not from new tax revenues. 

ETA: (That is to say that there will be increased tax revenues from the tax on drugs but the real "increase" would be in $ saved by ending WoD.)

While we're at it, why not release all non-violent drug offenders that are in our prison system, saving even more $?

Edited by cornchexs 2011-06-02 4:22 PM
2011-06-02 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3529746

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 2:20 PM

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed multiple times in previous threads but it would apply here.This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

But just because somebody wants to smoke, or drink, or gamble or possible use drugs, why do you all of a sudden see this huge revenue stream???

I don't necessarily condone a tax on drugs, should they be legalized, but I'm a realist and they will be taxed just as other consumables are.  The billions of $ would come from ending the war on drugs, not from new tax revenues. 

ETA: (That is to say that there will be increased tax revenues from the tax on drugs but the real "increase" would be in $ saved by ending WoD.)

While we're at it, why not release all non-violent drug offenders that are in our prison system, saving even more $?

Really?!?! There's a number of Wall Street insiders who absolutely raped this country.  I'd like to see all of them in prison with a very violent sex offender as a cell mate.  But that's just me...

2011-06-02 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3529758

User image

Expert
CenTex
blbriley - 2011-06-02 4:33 PM
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 2:20 PM

How about we legalize drugs, thereby making the tests unnecessary and, as a secondary benefit, end the war on drugs?  (Certainly this has been discussed multiple times in previous threads but it would apply here.This would end the need for this bill, save billions, and increase revenues through new taxation opportunities.

But just because somebody wants to smoke, or drink, or gamble or possible use drugs, why do you all of a sudden see this huge revenue stream???

Really?!?! There's a number of Wall Street insiders who absolutely raped this country.  I'd like to see all of them in prison with a very violent sex offender as a cell mate.  But that's just me...

What does this have to do with non-violent drug offenders?  I'd prefer not to have my tax $ spent on the guy who is serving life in prison for being busted 3x for buying bags of marijuana for personal consumption.  There are better things to do with this money, like let me keep it.

As for the Wall Street insiders, look to the politicians that passed the laws.  They are the ones that are truly to blame for the financial crisis that "raped this country."  (Google Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac for starters.  From there, go to Barney Frank.  The list is endless.)

\hijack

2011-06-02 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 4:02 PM

Ahhh...yes the old "legalize drugs" because the "war on drugs" isn't working.  We would spend a lot less money on prisons and housing prisoners for life if we just legalized murder, or rape, or theft...

How praytell do you anticipate that you would save money?  Yes those that would have been arrested and imprisoned for drug related crimes would no longer be, so you would save money there. I concede that. 

But do you advocate the government giving drugs away free?  If not then you will still have the attended ancilary crimes associated with people needing to gain money to support their drug habit.  You see, the majority of the time, effort and money isn't spent on direct interdiction and prosecution of drug related offenses.  The majority of the time, money and effort is spent on the ancillary or tangential crimes associated with the procurment of drugs.  Burglaries, thefts, robberies.  Where addicts are stealing to gain money to feed their habit.  And these aren't violent crimes.  These are stealing from family members and pawning their stuff.  Or the most recent rash of crimes, stealing air conditioning units right from the side of peoples houses to strip the cooper wiring out to sell for drug money.

How by legalizing drugs would these crimes go down.  The demand for drugs would still be there, thus addicts would still exist.  Addicts tend to be "underemployed" and thus can't meet the monetary needs of their drug habits.  So absent the government giving drugs away free, how will legalizing drugs address these associated crimes?

Also, the notion that drug use is a victimless crime is pure Huey!  the loss to the economy due to days lost due to drug addiction is staggering.  Talk to the family of an addict and see if they think addiction and use is a victimless crime.  Or how about the fact that approaximately 70% of Florida's Department of Children and Family services (DCF) calls for services for dependent children were due to addiction issues with parents.  And before you get all freaked and say it was alcohol, it wasn't it was pills, the booze, then meth....

We've never defeated the war on murder, or the war on theft, or the war on rape or the war on pick a crime, and yet we don't throw our hands up and say let's just legalize it to save the money.

And, I will never believe, that drug use and addiction is a victimless crime.  I've seen too many addicts, dealt with too many addicts, and their families and seen the crimes associated with drug addiction...
2011-06-02 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Drug testing the welfare people is something I totally agree with. I already feel that most of the people on the system should not be on it. I do also think that it would be great if they make the people on the system do some sort of work for their funds. Maybe clean up the beaches or their neighborhoods. The neighborhood would be great for the young welfare mothers that can't afford a babysitter.

As far a legalizing drugs that is the most insane suggestion I have heard. I can see maybe marijuana but am against that too.  The most popular drug of choice down here in Florida appears to be pain pills. While they are a prescription medicine, due to pill mills,they are easy to get hold of. A lot of the crime down here is people trying to get money to pay their pills. You make illegal drugs legal you will still have the high crime rate.

2011-06-02 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3529746

User image

Elite
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 3:20 PM

Sales tax is sales tax.... what you are talking about, and every other state out there with a budget short fall is a Sin Tax. And that is exactly why most places now are looking at leagalizing it... revenue off taxing it to tax it. Not sales tax. Here in Colorado the State has made Millions in one year off fees alone. I have a real hard time with sin tax..... or rather I'm going to make money off your recreation because I don't approve of it because some book says so "tax". If it's legal, and I'm an adult, and I'm free to do with my body as I please, why should I get taxed for that reason alone?

2011-06-02 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3529777

User image

Elite

Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 3:48 PM Ahhh...yes the old "legalize drugs" because the "war on drugs" isn't working.  We would spend a lot less money on prisons and housing prisoners for life if we just legalized murder, or rape, or theft...

Also, the notion that drug use is a victimless crime is pure Huey!  the loss to the economy due to days lost due to drug addiction is staggering.  Talk to the family of an addict and see if they think addiction and use is a victimless crime.  Or how about the fact that approaximately 70% of Florida's Department of Children and Family services (DCF) calls for services for dependent children were due to addiction issues with parents.  And before you get all freaked and say it was alcohol, it wasn't it was pills, the booze, then meth....

And, I will never believe, that drug use and addiction is a victimless crime.  I've seen too many addicts, dealt with too many addicts, and their families and seen the crimes associated with drug addiction...

Actually... you need to back up. The difference is that alcohol is the only legal DRUG. The financial burden alcohol places on society from health,lost time, unproductivity, and crime..... is more than all other illegal drugs COMBINED. So you can go on about the evils of legalizing drugs, but the legal one about every politicial in this country and a large part of the citizenry partakes in causes much more harm. There is a hipocrisy to this argument that is ridiculous... either legalize it all, or criminalize it all... for the same reasons.

I for one am all for legalizing all drugs... not because it is a great idea, not because there will be less addicts or because it will cost less.... simply because it will never be stopped... and the only people making money off of criminalization is criminals. The addicts will always be there. But current legislation of hipocritical laws funnels 100s of billions of dollars to criminal enterprizes every year. That is what is ridiculous.

And just so you know.... I do not use any drugs, even the legal one.

2011-06-02 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3529804

User image

Champion
the colony texas
powerman - 2011-06-02 5:26 PM
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 3:20 PM

Sales tax is sales tax.... what you are talking about, and every other state out there with a budget short fall is a Sin Tax. And that is exactly why most places now are looking at leagalizing it... revenue off taxing it to tax it. Not sales tax. Here in Colorado the State has made Millions in one year off fees alone. I have a real hard time with sin tax..... or rather I'm going to make money off your recreation because I don't approve of it because some book says so "tax". If it's legal, and I'm an adult, and I'm free to do with my body as I please, why should I get taxed for that reason alone?

Just because it is legal doesn't mean you are going to be able to collect a tax from it.  think it through. Will you be able to collect some from the legit places,  Yes..   But do you think the person selling everything except MJ is going to be collecting a tax and filing paperwork on it? Of course not,  You first have to set up a system of distribution, Just like in Colorado, they can collect a tax on the permits for the building, the sales tax on the purchase and the extra Sin tax,  but that is only for the actual places willing to be legit.   You can still easily buy MJ without any tax being collected.   To legalize all drugs so you can collect a tax on one is pretty short sighted

2011-06-02 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3529817

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
powerman - 2011-06-02 3:37 PM

Brock Samson - 2011-06-02 3:48 PM Ahhh...yes the old "legalize drugs" because the "war on drugs" isn't working.  We would spend a lot less money on prisons and housing prisoners for life if we just legalized murder, or rape, or theft...

Actually... you need to back up. The difference is that alcohol is the only legal DRUG. The financial burden alcohol places on society from health,lost time, unproductivity, and crime..... is more than all other illegal drugs COMBINED. So you can go on about the evils of legalizing drugs, but the legal one about every politicial in this country and a large part of the citizenry partakes in causes much more harm. There is a hipocrisy to this argument that is ridiculous... either legalize it all, or criminalize it all... for the same reasons.

I for one am all for legalizing all drugs... not because it is a great idea, not because there will be less addicts or because it will cost less.... simply because it will never be stopped... and the only people making money off of criminalization is criminals. The addicts will always be there. But current legislation of hipocritical laws funnels 100s of billions of dollars to criminal enterprizes every year. That is what is ridiculous.

And just so you know.... I do not use any drugs, even the legal one.

You forgot tobacco.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida Rss Feed  

of 5