Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-06-02 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
Subject: Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida

Really?  Now people in need and the poor who need government assistance are the ones wasting taxpayers’ money.  It always amazes me how this “brand” of politicians find it  so easy to be tough on those less fortunate.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/31/2244532/scott-signs-welfare-drug-testing.html

2011-06-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3528881

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida
(bleeding-heart liberal here)

I have a hard time getting upset about this. You have to submit to drug testing in order to be hired by lots of companies. I don’t see it as an invasion of privacy, personally.

Before reading the article, I would have been concerned about what a positive test would mean to the children of a drug-user, but it sounds like the law addresses that. I would also hope that there would be an appeals process that would allow for a person to continue receiving aid while the appeal was heard. I would hate for someone to be cut off from assistance they deserve as a result of a false positive or administrative error.
2011-06-02 10:17 AM

User image

NC
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 10:22 AM

Really?  Now people in need and the poor who need government assistance are the ones wasting taxpayers’ money.  It always amazes me how this “brand” of politicians find it  so easy to be tough on those less fortunate.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/31/2244532/scott-signs-welfare-drug-testing.html

What is it that you don't like about the law? 

Invasion of privacy? Waste of money? Something else?

Edited by Goosedog 2011-06-02 10:17 AM
2011-06-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3528962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-06-02 10:02 AM (bleeding-heart liberal here) I have a hard time getting upset about this. You have to submit to drug testing in order to be hired by lots of companies. I don’t see it as an invasion of privacy, personally. Before reading the article, I would have been concerned about what a positive test would mean to the children of a drug-user, but it sounds like the law addresses that. I would also hope that there would be an appeals process that would allow for a person to continue receiving aid while the appeal was heard. I would hate for someone to be cut off from assistance they deserve as a result of a false positive or administrative error.

I consider myself socially liberal but fiscally conservative.  Meaning, y'all can do what you want within reason, but I don't think I should have to pay for alot of what y'all do - in a nutshell.

The primary problem with this bill is that often doing the right thing might also mean doing the most expensive thing.  Most probably balk at that.  On top of paying for drug tests and the administration of the data for each person, you would also have to pay for any appeals process that you proposed.  That could be more expensive then just handing out welfare money.

Again, weighing doing what's right vs. what is cheap and expedient often goes to cheap and expedient.  It's a shame but it also begs the question - why should I have to police someone else's failings specifically in regards to taking illiegal drugs?

I read in one of the comments to the story that Michigan kicks people off the public welfare system after 4 years.  I haven't been able to research the veracity of that statement.  Anyone have any insights?

2011-06-02 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

What many fail to realize, it is the importance of probable cause, or the differences between a private employer, and government. The applicants for assistance either qualify, or are denied benefits based on guidelines having to do with financial status. Being poor does not constitute probable cause of illegal drug use. What would you think 
of a morality test, for example? Private employers often talk to neighbors, former spouses, ex supervisors, for character references. Do you suppose this would be appropriate in determining whether a person in need can have a meal? I think this brand of politician fails to see the importance of these programs to the poorest. I feel they do
not believe the programs should exist at all. While perfectly comfortable in handing hundreds of millions of dollars to the connected wealthy, like themselves. They begrudge every bite, every medical procedure, every housing unit, and every after school program for people they consider less than significant. And I believe this is at the heart of all the drug testing. And one more thing, testing of welfare recipients has been tried many times, in other states. The requirement has been found to be unconstitutional, but more important, the drug usage denying benefits, were in the single digit percentiles, confirming my first suspicion.

2011-06-02 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
I see no problem with this whatsoever.

Edit: I would like to say that just giving them money because it's easier is only perpetuating the problem and ensuring that the cycle of poverty and drug use and the correlation between the two continues.

Edited by mr2tony 2011-06-02 10:22 AM

2011-06-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3529003

User image

Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 11:20 AM

And one more thing, testing of welfare recipients has been tried many times, in other states. The requirement has been found to be unconstitutional, but more important, the drug usage denying benefits, were in the single digit percentiles, confirming my first suspicion.

Nope. Only once. In MI and it was found unconstitutional by the appeals court so that doesn't hold in FL at all. MI didn't persue it any further after that.
2011-06-02 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3529038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

DanielG - 2011-06-02 11:32 AM
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 11:20 AM And one more thing, testing of welfare recipients has been tried many times, in other states. The requirement has been found to be unconstitutional, but more important, the drug usage denying benefits, were in the single digit percentiles, confirming my first suspicion.
Nope. Only once. In MI and it was found unconstitutional by the appeals court so that doesn't hold in FL at all. MI didn't persue it any further after that.

It was tried in FL as well as a pilot program.  They gave up on it because more money was spent on testing and everything associated than the savings by stopping assistance to those individuals where there was a positive test. 

2011-06-02 10:50 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I have no problem with the bill.  Then again, I would be okay with getting rid of welfare altogether.   

2011-06-02 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
CenTex
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 9:22 AM

I didn't read this to mean that people who need gov't assistance are wasting taxpayers $ but that people who are active drug users, i.e. fail a drug test, are not eligible for federal assistance.  I do not have an issue with this.  There is a provision in place to ensure that children of these parents are still provided the opportunity to receive assistance, so that is not an issue.

It's not "this brand of politicians" that are forcing "those less fortunate" to choose whether or not to consume illegal drugs.  Rather, they are forcing "those less fortunate" to be responsible for their actions and accept the consequences of those actions. 

2011-06-02 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

Isn't this the same as drug testing high school athletes?  They don't test all students, only the ones who want to compete in an extracurricular sport.  So, if you want to get welfare, you need to be clean.

Just an observation...

2011-06-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3529094

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
cornchexs - 2011-06-02 9:52 AM
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 9:22 AM

I didn't read this to mean that people who need gov't assistance are wasting taxpayers $ but that people who are active drug users, i.e. fail a drug test, are not eligible for federal assistance.  I do not have an issue with this.  There is a provision in place to ensure that children of these parents are still provided the opportunity to receive assistance, so that is not an issue.

It's not "this brand of politicians" that are forcing "those less fortunate" to choose whether or not to consume illegal drugs.  Rather, they are forcing "those less fortunate" to be responsible for their actions and accept the consequences of those actions. 

It is also often not "this brand of politician" that is preventing the individuals from getting off of gov't assistance. 
2011-06-02 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

I think folks have a misconception of cost for these tests and adminsitration.   As an example, it costs us $75 per employee.  Consider what the potential upside is of preventing tax dollars going into illegal drug trade and I am in huge favor of the law.  The #'s will be hard to justify here as I beleive those who do use won't even bother to apply and hence are never reported in the system, but remain off the state pay-roll.

I just have hard time seeing someone in need of assistance being the one to start determining the terms and conditions.  As long as requirements are not outside of what private sector does, what is the problem?  I dont see people picketing outside of IBM or Google because they were required to take a drug test.   My honest opinion is that people are nervous about what the results will look like.  Governor has not ruled out putting these folks to work or requiring volunteer hours either.   That will really earn a new thread.   

2011-06-02 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 10:20 AM

What many fail to realize, it is the importance of probable cause, or the differences between a private employer, and government. The applicants for assistance either qualify, or are denied benefits based on guidelines having to do with financial status. Being poor does not constitute probable cause of illegal drug use. What would you think 
of a morality test, for example? Private employers often talk to neighbors, former spouses, ex supervisors, for character references. Do you suppose this would be appropriate in determining whether a person in need can have a meal? I think this brand of politician fails to see the importance of these programs to the poorest. I feel they do
not believe the programs should exist at all. While perfectly comfortable in handing hundreds of millions of dollars to the connected wealthy, like themselves. They begrudge every bite, every medical procedure, every housing unit, and every after school program for people they consider less than significant. And I believe this is at the heart of all the drug testing. And one more thing, testing of welfare recipients has been tried many times, in other states. The requirement has been found to be unconstitutional, but more important, the drug usage denying benefits, were in the single digit percentiles, confirming my first suspicion.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I think there are a lot of people who are very quick to suggest that these types of programs serve no benefit whatsoever but to waste tax money and to enable the lazy and chronically unemployed to remain so indefinitely. I disagree, but that’s kind of a separate argument and one where I think you and I agree.

But I don’t really understand your “probable cause” argument. No one is suggesting that all poor people should be drug tested, only those who apply for and accept public assistance. Putting aside the question of whether it makes sense fiscally to pay for the administration and testing, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ensure that those who are accepting this money are not currently engaged in an illegal activity like drug use. It has nothing to do with morality. Regardless of whether you think drugs are immoral, they are illegal.
2011-06-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3529262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-06-02 12:50 PM

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I think there are a lot of people who are very quick to suggest that these types of programs serve no benefit whatsoever but to waste tax money and to enable the lazy and chronically unemployed to remain so indefinitely. I disagree, but that’s kind of a separate argument and one where I think you and I agree. But I don’t really understand your “probable cause” argument. No one is suggesting that all poor people should be drug tested, only those who apply for and accept public assistance. Putting aside the question of whether it makes sense fiscally to pay for the administration and testing, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ensure that those who are accepting this money are not currently engaged in an illegal activity like drug use. It has nothing to do with morality. Regardless of whether you think drugs are immoral, they are illegal.

The probable cause statement comes from A federal appellate court ruling that threw out Michigan's random drug testing law in 2003, saying it violated the constitutional ban against unreasonable search and seizure. Just because you're seeking public benefits doesn't mean you don't have the same kind of protection from unreasonable searches as anybody else.

My other problem is, yes you find someone that tested positive for drugs, and you take away their assistance, and then what?  There are no steps in place to help those people with their addiction.  So when you add the administrative costs on top of this what is the purpose?  What that article fails to mention is that the chain of health clinics that the governor used to own and whose control he transferred to his wife, tend to benefit greatly from this law.

And why only focus on the needy? Let's make this a stipulation for obtaining or renewing a driver's license, we certainly don't want a bunch of "druggies" driving around,  or to anyone that applies for a tax exemption in the state of Florida. Welfare should be controlled but let's not penalize all because of a few. Let them keep some of their dignity, it is hard enough to be in that situation without having to prove that you are “worthy” of assistance. 

To top it off, a study from the Department of Health and Human Services, found that 9.6 percent of people living in households that receive government assistance used illicit drugs in the previous month, compared with a 6.8 percent rate among families who receive no assistance.

2011-06-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3529318

User image

Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 1:24 PM

And why only focus on the needy? Let's make this a stipulation for obtaining or renewing a driver's license, we certainly don't want a bunch of "druggies" driving around,  or to anyone that applies for a tax exemption in the state of Florida.

Outstanding. When can this be implemented? That's an excellent idea.

2011-06-02 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3529318

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I think there are a lot of people who are very quick to suggest that these types of programs serve no benefit whatsoever but to waste tax money and to enable the lazy and chronically unemployed to remain so indefinitely. I disagree, but that’s kind of a separate argument and one where I think you and I agree. But I don’t really understand your “probable cause” argument. No one is suggesting that all poor people should be drug tested, only those who apply for and accept public assistance. Putting aside the question of whether it makes sense fiscally to pay for the administration and testing, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ensure that those who are accepting this money are not currently engaged in an illegal activity like drug use. It has nothing to do with morality. Regardless of whether you think drugs are immoral, they are illegal.

The probable cause statement comes from A federal appellate court ruling that threw out Michigan's random drug testing law in 2003, saying it violated the constitutional ban against unreasonable search and seizure. Just because you're seeking public benefits doesn't mean you don't have the same kind of protection from unreasonable searches as anybody else.

And yet DWI road blocks have been upheld repeatedly.  I do not see how this is any different.

2011-06-02 12:34 PM

User image

NC
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 11:20 AM

Do you suppose this would be appropriate in determining whether a person in need can have a meal?

Theoretically, I do feel it would be appropriate to determine if they are in need.

2011-06-02 12:36 PM

User image

Except for the part that those really don't take from the system. How about all medicaid, medicare, farm subsidy recipients, etc. People who accept money or services with the state government picking up the bill. The state workers already have a drug policy in place for just about every law enforcement group so extend that to everyone who gets a state paycheck.

That'll work for a start.

2011-06-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3529340

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
trinnas - 2011-06-02 1:34 PM

And yet DWI road blocks have been upheld repeatedly.  I do not see how this is any different.

Perhpas you dont, but the federal appellate court seems to realize there is a big difference.

2011-06-02 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Interesting... another way to make sure the poor stay poor right?

Also, seems like this is the same Rick Scott who happens to own a whole bunch of drug testing facilities...

2011-06-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3529368

User image

NC

tikicult - 2011-06-02 1:50 PM Interesting... another way to make sure the poor stay poor right?

Who does this benefit?

2011-06-02 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3529353

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Cuetoy - 2011-06-02 1:38 PM
trinnas - 2011-06-02 1:34 PM

Perhpas you dont, but the federal appellate court seems to realize there is a big difference.

Because a federal appelate court has never been wrong before?
2011-06-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3529372

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Goosedog - 2011-06-02 12:54 PM

tikicult - 2011-06-02 1:50 PM Interesting... another way to make sure the poor stay poor right?

Who does this benefit?

Right now, the only people benefiting are the drug testing centers. They will be paid by the state to run a program which has been proven in the past to be a waste of money.

The alternative would be to quit treating drug users like dregs of society and actually address the issues that lead to their drug problems. Get them treatment, and into an environment where they don't need to take drugs to escape the crappiness of their lives. I think this is a much better solution than just saying "No money for you"

Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.
2011-06-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3529399

User image

tikicult - 2011-06-02 2:11 PM

Besides, if wasteful spending by recipients was really a problem, then the law would include things such as alcohol and tobacco usage.

Neither of which is illegal so that does not follow.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Welfare Drug Testing Bill in Florida Rss Feed  

of 5