www.bike-and-run.com
38C / 100F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 10s
Overall Rank = 266/475
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Sleep through nightclub noise next to hotel, get up late, get cawfee and change my mind on what I'm going to wear and get that stuff together. Get to transition 15 min before it closes and find there is NO ROOM for any of my stuff. Sigh. Leave most of stuff (I'm changing for the run) in a bag and hang stuff on my bike.
Event warmup:

"Swim" (dolphin and jump) through the breakers to just beyond to breakers to try and see where the swim will go. Just barely make out what the course most likely is.
Swim
  • 41m 2s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm not used to going through breakers so it was a little difficult getting through them (seemed like they went forever) and I think I swam through 2 groups ahead (we all had the same color cap so it was hard to say). Tried to surf the waves coming back in instead of using my legs as I was way out of breath from "run/swim" on the outbound part. Felt like I paced pretty well. Stuck to the outside and open water instead of fighting the previous waves of swimmers. Got congested only around the 1st bouy. Looking through the female results I was slow 21/68.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm...not sure. I felt I was well prepared but in hindsight I should have swum more in the (12 m) pool when we had rough weather instead of sitting out the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

I probably sucked in transistion but honestly I was happy. Run up the beach, up the stairs, sit down and take off top, put on bike jersey (struggel with zipper and keeping stuff from dumping out of pockets), get sand off feet, socks and shoes on, run through the rest of transition (we oldies were at the very start of transistion) and mount just outside transition. Not too much running to do thankfully.

I guess figure out different top - I got badly chafed with the run/swim top I chose.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 26s
  • 90 kms
  • 29.76 km/hr
Comments:

i was happy with the bike. I wanted to average 30km/hr and that is just about what I did. I wanted to go easy on the bike to save myself for the run but I honestly could not keep my HR out of the 150s for the 1st loop, under 140 for the 2nd loop and only got under 140 on the downhills. We had rain and by the 5th loop dry pavement. Saw 2 good crashes. Judges were Very Stingent on breaking up packs and discouraging drafting. I was very pleased to see that as we're used to drafting here and it was hard not to. I had 2 bottles of Cytomax (1 scoop each) and came back with 1/2 bottle left over, drank 1 liter of water and had a TON of Poweraid. Pee should be blue now. Not one female passed me on the bike - from any age group. I tried to hold back for the run but it was really hard to do that.

Not sure. Bring another Cliff bar. There was only liquid nutrition on the course even though they said they'd have powerbars. Luckily I brought a Cliff bar and GU with me.
Transition 2
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Yelled for access to the bathroom area, ran down, peed, changed into running shorts, yelled for access back into transition, grabbed 3 gels and hat and waterbottle (with Electrolit) and headed out.

Wish for a bathroom in transition.
Run
  • 2h 32m 9s
  • 21.2 kms
  • 07m 11s  min/km
Comments:

I Gallowalked 9 min run and 45s to 1min walk. Worked AWESOMELY! I'm really happy with my time but LOTS of room for improvement. :) I was shocked when I found I was actually passing some people. By last 6km or so my hips were killing me along wiht the balls of my feet (friction) and my son Jesse ran with me the last 6 km or so. I kept looking for people in my age group but never saw any. Seemed like the run took forever. :) I wish I'd had more nutrition on the run. Ate pretzels and drank poweraid and had 3 GUs.

train more. This was the first time I went over 12km or so.
Post race
Warm down:

none.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Event comments:

AMAZING for a first event! The run course was INCREDIBLY stocked for the heat and the course. I do wish they had powerbars (bike) and GU (run) as they had advertised though.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:02 | 1900 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/475
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle. Due to early turtle nesting we couldn't leave from the island so did a triangle from shore instead.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:01:26 | 90 kms | 29.76 km/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 5 loops. It was great for seeing the family.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:09 | 21.2 kms | 07m 11s  min/km
overall HR for bike+run was 140.
Course: 2 loops with aid stations every 1.3km plus private citizens handing out all kinds of stuff.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Subject: Fuga de Isla de Sacrificios 2011

2011-06-09 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3534810

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Fuga de Isla de Sacrificios 2011

Congrats on a great HIM!

Smart training, good pacing all worked out well.

2011-06-09 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Delmar

Congrats. Great effort.

I used to go to Veracruz every summer and I can see it is still beautiful. I would love to be able to do this race one of these days. 

2011-06-09 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

Congratulations on a nice race...

Me encanta el nombre de este HIM, agrega un poquito de drama al evento.  Si alguien se guia por el nombre solamente pensarian dos veces antes de hacerlo....

2011-06-25 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

wow! I didn't even see that there were comments here until I found this thread searching for fotos.    Kathy, THANK YOu!  You are a real inspiration to me, you young pup. 

To the 2nd commenter, Veracruz is still nice (this HIM was in Boca though, like it makes a difference) but Veracruz is heating up with 3 cartels now.  I'm not sure we'll go back next year - we'll have to see if the violence continues to escalate or dies down (and odds are not on anything dying down anytime soon).

3rd commenter - Si, es verdad - que lindo nombre.  El ano que viene nos dicen que empezamos de la isla el triatlon.  Quien sabe. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fuga de Isla de Sacrificios 2011 Rss Feed