General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Revolution 3
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 44s
Overall Rank = 333/625
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 79/149
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:50am. Ate a peanut butter and nutella sandwich on whole wheat bread, a banana and a acai berry drink, went to the bathroom and then laid back down. Got back up at 4:50, went to bathroom again and then got stuff together and drove the 35 minutes to race course. Drank a coffee and gatorade driving to the race.
At race course at 6am. Went to bathroom set up transition and went down to beach.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of deep breathing to trying not to hyperventilate while looking at the length of the swim course.
Swim
  • 44m
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Walking to beach realized that the nose piece on my swim goggles were ripped halfway through.. Crossed my fingers that they would hold together through swim. I started to the far left side of the group and 2/3 of the way back or so. Very little contact. For some reason I just can not swim in open water without stopping. I don't feel winded really, or tired. Putting 25 strokes together is basically the max I get to before having to stop, reset and start up again. Stopped less after rounding the first buoy, but stopped again lots on the way back to shore after the second turn. Sighting after the first turn was tough with the sun low in the sky.
Was supposed to take a gu 15 minutes before swim but I forgot. I was expecting 40-45 minutes, so I was right on with my expectations, but if I don't stop I would be swimming less than 40 minutes
What would you do differently?:

Swim more, tread water less. Remember nutrition plan. Know how to setup and work my 310xt so that I could see how much I zigzag on the course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Not too long of a run to transition, but not short either. Saw Mila on the way out and since I was racked right next to the fence she came over and said hello. Took too much time in transition since I didn't want to ignore her. Goggles broke taking them off. Thank goodness it didn't happen in the water. Didn't have shoes clipped into pedals so had to run in bike shoes. Took it easy mounting and went on my way.

Ignore Mila. Clip shoes in pedals, if legal for that race.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course is just as hilly as advertised. My expectation for the ride was between 3:00 and 3:15 so my guess was right on the slower side. I was riding a little harder than I thought appropriate the first half and made a conscious effort to take it easier on the second half, especially the last 5 or 6 miles and especially on every ascent. I rode a compact with a 11-28 and used the big front ring and the 11 rear ring on many of the descents and the small front ring and the 28 rear ring on nearly every ascent. You need to be comfortable changing gears on this course, for sure. I was smoking down the descents before the 40 mile turn around, but on the last descent before 40 miles I felt my rear brake slip abit. So on all the later descents I took it easy unless they were straight and I could watch the riders in front of me. On those last few curvy descents I really couldn't let it go because I did not do any recon on the course and was not sure what was coming around the corner. I'd love to tell you my speeds on the decent, but for some reason my Garmin 310xt didn't record a darn thing. I guess that's what happens when you purchase something two days before the race and don't ensure you know how to work it! The only data I had was elapsed time; no HR, speed, cadence, pace, elevation, etc. Some of those descents were smoking fast. Loved the one that has you coming down to a reservoir near the bottom.
I rode with a front mounted aero hydration system (30 oz) with a straw and one bottle on the frame (20 oz) both with gatorade and three gu, a power bar and a pack of shot blocks in my bento box. Drank about 2/3rds of the aero hydration before dumping about 3/4 bottle of water in from one of the aide stations. Filled the aeor drink with my frame mounted bottle just after mile 40 while taking my pit stop. Took one gu every 50 minutes and drank whenever I thought about it. Subtracting what was left in my bottles I think I drank about 55 oz of fluid on the bike and had three gu's. The last few miles I was burping a little bit and wished I had some plain water but only had the gatorade. Right after the turn around around mile 40ish (I think) I pulled to the side of the road for a pit stop. I really wanted to pee while riding but I just can't make myself do it. Riding and then running in urine soaked socks just doesn't seem too enjoyable to me. I felt much better after the pit stop.
Concentrated on just spinning my legs on the uphills, especially on the second half. I didn't have mileage on my Garmin and was not familiar with the course, so could only gauge where we were by the aide stations and the mileage markers every 10 miles. Near the end I took it very easy and tried to stay 1 gear easier so that I was spinning my legs and relaxing.
Tried to keep things light on the course with those that passed my by saying "hey, I thought this was supposed to be a hilly course. I haven't seen a hill yet!" or asking saying that I was lost and wondering if they know how to get to the Quassy Amusement Park... It helped me to stay sane, I hope it made those I was talking to smile for a bit.
The temperature was perfect. No sweating profusely or baking in the sun. There was a bit of a headwind after mile 40 in some places, but when you're going uphill at 10mph or downhill at 40mph they don't affect you much.

Know how to set up my Garmin correctly so that I could have the data I need. Study the race reports and course maps more clearly and to ride the course, or at least drive it so as to be aware of what to expect. Learn how to drink from a bottle instead of the straw from the front mounted aero bottle so I could take advantage of the water hand ups and ride with less weight.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Unstrapped my feet from shoes and rode into the park with my feet on shoes. Easy fast dismount and ran in my socks into T2.
My feet must had swelled up a little on the bike, 'cause I couldn't slip my feet into my running shoes. Had to actually put my ass on the ground, untie my shoes, put in my foot and retie the shoes.

Yankz for my next race for sure.
Run
  • 1h 45m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I was thinking I was gonna run about 2 hours, maybe 2:05, so this run was exceptional for me. Legs felt perfect coming out of T2- I was shocked. Coming down the hill and at the 1 mile mark I felt like I was slapping my left food down. Stopped and readjusted my laces, this helped a lot. Took a pit stop in the woods at about 1.5 miles to water the plants. Stopped again immediately to stretch my left shin, it was really tight and after this I shortened my stride and increased my turnover a bit and everything was fine. Right from here continuing on the downhill I wanted to move left a bit on the road to be running on some flatter ground. I'm used to running against traffic, so with the slope of the roadway I'm used to my left foot a little below my right. Running along the roadway with traffic the road slopes so that your right foot is lower than your left. I wanted to move a foot or two off further left but someone was right on my shoulder and I thought they were gonna pass. So I stayed to the right and they stayed on my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder and the girl apologized for "doggin' me, but I was running a good pace for her". It was nice to talk to someone so I just stayed where I was and chatted with her for a while. We were running 7:45-7:50/mile and made the right turn that became gravel and the climbing started. She stuck with me for a while on the endless uphill and then said goodbye cause she was gonna pull back a bit. That first uphill on the gravel is one heck of wake up call after going about 2 miles downhill. Kept my turnover strong and was really surprised that I was still feeling good. Nearly all of the first 6 or 7 miles were shaded, so it was nice. I felt the right hamstring somewhere around mile 5 or 6 give me the sign that it wanted to cramp. I was still averaging below 8 minute miles so I eased up a bit. Somewhere between mile 7 and 8 you turn onto a private road for an out and back and you go up (surprise!!!) another uphill. There was a woman in some bad distress near the top of the hill before the turnaround and aide station. Looked like she was hyperventilating. She was being helped by some people and they were using their cell phones to call for help. The fire dept passed me about 5 minutes later to head to her help.
This was where there was a bit more sun hitting the roadway and the air temp was rising a little. I walked about 4 or 5 of the aide stations to drink some water. Ate one gu just before aide station 2 and washed it down with water than another gu around mile 8. Was burping a bit after the first gu and then at each aide station when I drank water. Stuck with water for the rest of the run. Miles 8 to almost 10 are up hill back toward Quassy. I felt good here and wanted to start to push the pace but my plan was to wait to the 10 mile marker and then push the last 10k. It started getting hot here because there was less shade. Running past Quassy on the sidewalk across the street from the park there is a 1/8th of a mile down hill before turning left onto Chrisian Rd where there is an aide station and the 10 mile marker. I saw Mila on this downhill which raised my spirits. That 1/8th of a mile down hill is great. Lots of support from fans. After the aide station and the 10 mile marker I was starting to suffer a bit. So much for racing the last 10k! I hung on as best I could and then there is another (surprise!) HILL! This was the only part of the race that I wanted to walk! I kept my legs moving, but at one point I think walking may have been faster. Running back to the park for the last 1/4 mile or so I thought I read on a race report about a grassy uphill before the finish chute, so I was sand bagging a little expecting a hill before the chute but I must have missed it because you turn off the road down gravel and the finish chute is right there. Some guy sprinted past me before I realized that this is the finish. So I kicked it up and finished with a sprint but still had some left in reserve thinking the finish was still about another 1/8 of a mile away.
The finish line is a bit unorganized and there is a small tent just past the finish line. Athletes are stopping under the tent to get some shade and it make for a crowded finish.

Same as the bike; know the course better.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed my medal, shirt, towel, two gatorades and a muscle mile and walked past the crowds so that no one would see me sobing and to the meet up by the lake with Mila. Put my name on the list for some ART, forced myself to eat even though I didn't have an appetite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: I have a fear of the water that I just can not shake. If I were to get over this I think I could have an average swim.
Bike: I should be a stronger cyclist. Probably need a professional bike fit and then push my training rides a bit harder. Maybe ride with someone instead of alone to push the pace a bit.
Run: Maybe hold back just a little bit on the first 3/4 of the race so I could have finished stronger.

Event comments:

The race is top notch. The location is great. The amusement park is great to keep the family busy while we do our thing. The lake is clean and calm. The bike course is challenging and the roads for the most part are good. Some cracks in the pavement that make you stay focused. The run is fun and challenging.
The only negatives for me (and they are not really that much of an issue)-The crowded finish line and the location of the stage for the pro interviews, race briefing and medal ceremony doesn't make much sense.
Great race, will probably do it again.

Last updated: 2011-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:00 | 2310 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 125/149
Overall: 518/625
Performance: Below average
Suit: blueseventy reaction full
Course: kinda triangular, clockwise direction
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:14:16 | 56 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/149
Overall: 0/625
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: A hilly monster with screaming downhills and lotsa up hills.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:45:40 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/149
Overall: 0/625
Performance: Good
Course: One hilly son of a beach!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2011-06-09 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3535439

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Great effort and performance Jerry!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed