Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 1h 16m 4s
Overall Rank = 40/211
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am for cereal (Kashi Go lean 3/4c, 1T Flaxseed, 3 heaping tablespoons of Blueberries, milk) and coffee. Waiting on family to get up whom wanted to tag along as well. About my food intake some mention having too much fiber is bad but I have never had an issue. My body seems to process quickly in the morning so it is not a worry.
Event warmup:

Tested out the water since I was SANS wetsuit. It was perfect temp. Talked with family and looked in awe at some of the bikes. Got down to the water and swam a little more to warm up before the race.
Swim
  • 16m 35s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time OWS in a long time. Also first OWS in a race. Started with the first pack in the 0-29 AG. Most people had wetsuits and I did not but the water was perfect and refreshing. Started out nice but my goggles fogged up quickly. I was trying to figure out how to sight and swim with foggy goggles. I felt good in the water but I am just slow. Also slowed after ingesting some of the lake and trying to figure out where the turn in bouy was to exit the water.
What would you do differently?:

Sign up for the Duathlon...I am a terrible swimmer but am trying to improve! Also anti-fog for the goggles and a Wetsuit even though the water was fine...any advantage right?
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

T1 felt slow but 1min isn't bad. I had to catch my breathe after the swim....did it really get me that winded?? I need to practice putting on my tri shoes quicker. I didn't leave them clipped on the bike but running the short distance in them was no problem.

Pracetice putting on my tri shoes. It was like they were foreign objects.
Bike
  • 37m 32s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to keep pace ~20mph and chace someone in front of me and slowly pick off people. The slower guys must have went to Warrior Dash. I kept at it and with the same pack. I sighted in on a guy in a Red and Gray 1 piece and we traded spots throughout the bike. He would get me on the 2 big hills but I would reel him back in.

The road surface is not bad but just rough. Maybe I just ride on spoiled roads? But it was nice and I felt great. I am sure I kept my HR up the whole time but did not wear my HRM.

I think spinning in a higher cadence. As I ride with groups more I see people keeping pace but just in a higher cadence. I keep lower cadence so maybe they are saving for the run but after only 12.4 miles on the bike can you really be THAT tired? I also feel better at a lower cadence but higher gear. As I get to longer distances I am sure I'll learn.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Foreign shoes AGAIN! What are these damn things and these laces? I do have elastic laces but the nightmare was the socks. I grabbed a swig of water before I popped up and left. Also forgot my watch attached to the bike.

Practice, practice, practice!
Run
  • 21m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

PR! I stopped early in the run to put on my watch that was not cooperating so I think I could have been in the <21 minute crowd but happy none the less.
As for my chase I see the red and gray guy up ahead. I look down at my pace after a minute or 2 and I am in the <20 min 5k pace. Really in a race Joe? At which point I do not think I will catch him. Damn cadence! Well I keep up the pace and see another guy I will follow. No pace booty so nothing else to occupy my time. Pass an aid station and I throw water on my head.
After we make the turn and I take some sips of water from the aid station again then pour the rest on my head. My current pace guy walks the water stations but then blasts off. Well we continue and 1 mile left! Thank god it is almost over but I cheer on others and people I pass to encourage them. It was getting hot.
Well who is that up ahead? Red and gray? Well damn, what happened buddy? I think I have him now. I keep my pace up and he is slowing, other guy is slowing as well but passed red and gray. It is on. Towards the end of the run is a slight uphill and I pass red and gray. Felt like one of the Kona passes you see on Palani Hill. It felt awesome. Well I round a corner and turn on the jets for home. Mission: Out sprint other guy! Legs feel great, pace is fast, I have him! Check out the race photo for the end .

Nothing. Was a great run. Did feel some gurgle at some point from possible too much fluid on the bike but not note worthy.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some PB&J, oranges, banana, watermelon, water. I was a piggy. Said hi to the family and congratulated my 2 competitors for an awesome race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more swim practice and anti-fog for my goggles but I am going to try baby shampoo. Heat wasn't an issue but a later race it would have came into play.

Event comments:

Better food at this HFP race than the last one (Miami).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:35 | 820 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/211
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: