General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam - Iowa's Distance Classic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dam to Dam - Iowa's Distance Classic - Run20k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Des Moines, Iowa
United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early, about 0400 ate breakfast of a bagel with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk and at the busses at 0500. Had to walk 1.5 miles from the bus drop off to the start line.
Event warmup:

Walked around stretching every few minutes. Had about one hour to burn before the start of the race. Used that port-a-potty once.
Run
  • 2h 30m 26s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 12m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow what a race it was. I was doing great for the first 5 K but started to feel very hot and dizzy. Slowed down from the 5k to 10 k marks. I was still feeling dizzy and started to feel sick. I was looking around and saw multiple runners on the side of the road unable to go on due to heat issues. Say one lady puking and trying to run, that did not work out to great. Finished the last 6 miles very slowly and enjoyed the senery. Would have like to go faster but did not want to be one of the one's on the side of road.
What would you do differently?:

Pour water over my head and neck at every water station instead of the last half of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit drinking my Poweraid and sitting down to stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The head and humity was beyond tolerable. At times I felt like I could not breath becasue the air was so heavy and hot. Also I needed new shoes and had them ordered to late. No cushion was on the soles of my feet.

Event comments:

While this is one of my faviorate races that I do every year I think that the weather realy put a damper on my performance.

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:26 | 12.43 miles | 12m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Courese was mostly flat with occational hills. We went from open farm country to residental areas of Des Moines, to bike trails and finaly into downtown.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dam to Dam - Iowa's Distance Classic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam - Iowa's Distance Classic Rss Feed