General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon readiness litmus test? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-08 2:53 PM

Subject: Triathlon readiness litmus test?
So I am new to the triathlon world and have my sights set on a triathlon on July 21st.  The tri has both an olympic and sprint distance, and I can't decide which to sign up for.  I'm late to the game, so I'm kind of winging it when it comes to training, but I've kept in pretty good shape running, and am comfortable swimming and on the bike.  What would be a good litmus test to whether you can finish an olympic tri comfortably?

2011-06-08 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3539477

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Triathlon readiness litmus test?
If you haven't done one, start with the sprint. For new folks getting out there for 3 hours in an oly may not sound bad, but in the heat of summer, untrained, it can be kinda brutal. Have you done a brick? Like 20 mile ride and 5 mile run? That would be a decent litmus test.
2011-06-08 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
My litmus test, right or wrong, has always been to brick two of the three disciplines at race distance (not necessarily race pace).
I always choose my weak event (running, for me) as one of the disciplines.
2011-06-08 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

I might be totally talking out my rear here, but would this simple approach work:

Honestly ask yourself how far you can swim, bike and run.  Individually.  For example, with the running since it's last and therefore going to be hardest, what kind of running shape are you currently in?  By itself, could you maybe get through a 10K?  Or are you a frequent runner, and that distance is trivial to you?  Or with the biking, how long are the rides you go on?  Do you frequently go out for 30+ miles, averaging 18+ mph?  And with the swimming, will you have the opportunity to get out and swim in a lake a few times to see what you're really getting into?

If you think you can maybe get through each of those distances by themselves if someone placed you on the course this second, then maybe an Oly might be a bit of a stretch.  The thing is, we would hate to see you struggle through, maybe even get injured, and end up never doing another tri again.

2011-06-08 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

If you can do the events separately in training, you'll do them fine together in a race.

That being said, starting with the sprint is a good idea since you'll learn a lot, maybe be competitive, have a good time, and be excited to go on the the challenge of the Oly later in the summer.

If you start with the Oly but cook yourself on the bike, you'll have a miserable run and will never want to do a triathlon again....

Brian

2011-06-08 4:32 PM

Thanks for the tips! I am leaning toward the sprint based on suggestions.  I can do the olympic distances separately, but have yet to try combining any of them.  My rationale for trying the longer race was that I am comfortable in each leg on their own, but will probably suck combining them (aka transitions), so those extra minutes it takes me to figure out how to transition would be a little less detrimental in a longer race, whereas taking forever to put on bike shoes would be pretty noticeable in a sprint.  In all likelihood, I'll wait to the last possible minute to register and decide then!

2011-06-08 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Houston

I have heard it said that Triathalons are 4 sports.

S/B/R and transition.

It is worth it to train on that 4th skill as well (though spend a lot less time on it than the others).

If you can watch a race prior to yours stand near transition and watch how others do it right, and wrong.

2011-06-08 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I say sprint, you can always find an Oly later in the season if you want.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon readiness litmus test? Rss Feed