General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What was I thinking?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-08 11:16 PM

Subject: What was I thinking?!

So, I volunteered for an IM last month at T2.  I was inspired and ashamed!  I haven't worked out in 20 years, but wanted to see what this was all about.  So, I searched out some Sprint tri's and found one just for women on July 2. 

I registered for it, not owning running shoes, a wet suit or a bike.  What was I thinking?!  I've started swimming, bought a bike and now have shoes.  I have a little over three weeks until the event.  I'll take any advice or ridicule

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and finally have the nerve to peak out from behind the screen.

p.s. I still need some good bike shorts.  I am not a fan of biking and don't want to feel the pain associated with it.  Does anyone have advice on a good, cheap pair of bike shorts? Thanks!

2011-06-09 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3540124

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What was I thinking?!
gypsearl - 2011-06-09 12:16 AM

So, I volunteered for an IM last month at T2.  I was inspired and ashamed!  I haven't worked out in 20 years, but wanted to see what this was all about.  So, I searched out some Sprint tri's and found one just for women on July 2. 

I registered for it, not owning running shoes, a wet suit or a bike.  What was I thinking?!  I've started swimming, bought a bike and now have shoes.  I have a little over three weeks until the event.  I'll take any advice or ridicule

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and finally have the nerve to peak out from behind the screen.

p.s. I still need some good bike shorts.  I am not a fan of biking and don't want to feel the pain associated with it.  Does anyone have advice on a good, cheap pair of bike shorts? Thanks!

First, I would like to welcome you to BT. Second, don't worry about your event. Just approach it like a regular training day. You're doing all the things you need to do. How far have you swam, biked and ran? Have you done any of the two back to back, aka a brick e.g. Swim, then within 10 mins Bike, or Bike and then Run? If you haven't I would suggest doing so. You're legs will need time to be accustomed to this feeling. 

Look online for Bike Apparel

try

www.SBRShop.com

www.trisports.com

shop.sparkbrs.com

or any other stores found on google.

What kind of bike did you purchase? Were you fitted for running shoes? 

You'll do great! Most important have fun. Race you're race and remember ask questions. No question is a silly question. 

Scott

2011-06-09 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3540124

User image

New user

A wise person told me "Your race, your pace." Seriously, as long as you finish you are doing more than a gazillion people out there who have never even tried to do a triathlon.Smile

I am doing my first sprint tri at the end of the month...in a 10year old shortie wetsuit that I got on clearance to jetski in way back when...on a 10 year old super heavy mid-frame suspension big box store mountain bike that's almost too big for me and the handgrips are dryrotting (I need to go get those changed out! LOL)...and in running shoes that I got at the adidas outlet for a 5K earlier this spring.

If I can do it in my ragtag tossed together stuff...you will have an edge on me because you have newer gear. Not to mention that I have an immense fear of swimming in lakes...it really borders on a phobia. I did my first open water swim last weekend and sat on the end of the dock and cried for a good five minutes before I could convince myself (with my hubby's help) that I wouldn't get eaten by big nasty fish if I got in the lake.

I've been working my endurance up on my bike...just a little longer every time I ride. I hadn't ridden my bike in about 5 years before I hopped back on at the beginning of the month...I'm up to 12 miles now...and I did a 10.5mi/1mi brick the other day and I didn't die! (Only kinda felt like it...)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

P.S. Try getting one of the gel slipcovers for your bike seat...it's done WONDERS on mine.

Edited by strollerfreak 2011-06-09 8:51 AM
2011-06-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3540222

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement!  I haven't done any bricks yet, just two of the three on the same day.  I'm having a little trouble trying to "fit this in" with my work and family.  Everyone is being so supportive and I'm looking at this a little like childbirth.  I'm in it now and now I just have to live it

I ended up with a hybrid bike.  I don't think I'm ready for a road bike.  I was fitted for it and I feel pretty safe on it.  One salesman at a bike store told me, "You don't look like a roadbike kind of girl" and he tried to put me on a beach cruiser.  The bike portion will be the hardest for me.

I was also fitted for my shoes.  I was surprised that they are bigger than I normally wear, but they feel great.  I don't run fast or pound hard.  I am just wanting to finish!  I hope they give me enough time in the tri.

2011-06-09 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3540431

I feel so honored to be in the same boat as you!  Thank you for your kind words!  I'm 52 and haven't been among the moving for many years.  I've just sat in my house and let myself go soft.  I'm so inspired by you all on here.

The bike portion will be the hardest for me.  I haven't built any endurance on the bike yet.  Although I'm a pretty good swimmer, I don't know what to expect in the open water swim.

Thanks for the great advice on the slipcover!  The pain from the bike is what I dread the most!

2011-06-10 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3540874

User image

New user

gypsearl - 2011-06-09 12:19 PM

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement!  I haven't done any bricks yet, just two of the three on the same day.  I'm having a little trouble trying to "fit this in" with my work and family.  Everyone is being so supportive and I'm looking at this a little like childbirth.  I'm in it now and now I just have to live it

I ended up with a hybrid bike.  I don't think I'm ready for a road bike.  I was fitted for it and I feel pretty safe on it.  One salesman at a bike store told me, "You don't look like a roadbike kind of girl" and he tried to put me on a beach cruiser.  The bike portion will be the hardest for me.

I was also fitted for my shoes.  I was surprised that they are bigger than I normally wear, but they feel great.  I don't run fast or pound hard.  I am just wanting to finish!  I hope they give me enough time in the tri.

A hybrid was what was recommended to me when I went to the bike shop to talk to them about what I should get *if* I was to buy something new. Since I'm not planning to keep doing tri's, it would suit me better for the long haul, so it sounds like the bike store that you went to is a good one that didn't sell you something more than what you needed. :-)

2011-06-12 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3540890

New user

Bathurst
Just joined this morning and am doing my first tri in August.  Just browsing and read your posts.  So happy to see that I'm not the only 'older' person on here.  I do have swimming and running experience but no biking.  Can't wait to read how you do on your first tri.  Just remember that you're in it to finish it. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What was I thinking?! Rss Feed