General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping bike versus Flying with Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-10 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Shipping bike versus Flying with Bike
Pros? Cons?

I've flown with my bike before out of state. Other than dragging it through the airports alone with the rest of my luggage it wasn't that bad. I'm trying to decide between two races this fall that will require out of state travel. The current plan is to fly out on SWA which has a very low bike transport fee (50.00 each way) versus other airline carriers.
Neither races are supported by Tri Bike transport. The major disadvantage that I can see to shipping a bike is that it will be in a cardboard box versus a bike case. Kathy G's bike was ruined on the way to CA this year.

2011-06-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3542463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA
Subject: RE: Shipping bike versus Flying with Bike

I'm using trisportsexpress to get my bike to Nice, France for IM France. 

Pro's, they deal with the bulky box, customs, getting the bike to race and getting it back to me, not having to deal with Airlines losing the bike box or the bike box missing a connection, not having to deal with Airport Baggage Handlers beating up the box.

Con's, Somewhat more expensive than doing it yourself, typically will be without bike for a week prior to race.

2011-06-10 2:00 PM

www.Shipbikes.com 

or... get a hard shell case and take it with you. The other (hidden) cost involved in taking your bike with on the airplane is that you need transportation from the airport that will carry a bike case (read SUV or such).

2011-06-10 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3543000

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
bnhsdad - 2011-06-10 2:00 PM

www.Shipbikes.com 

or... get a hard shell case and take it with you. The other (hidden) cost involved in taking your bike with on the airplane is that you need transportation from the airport that will carry a bike case (read SUV or such).

I just got back from Hawaii and was surprised that the car I rented (Mazda 6) had a trunk that fit my bike which was in an Iron Case. The trunk didn't quite close all the way but I brought a bungee cord just so it would not flop up and down. Even that actually wasn't necessary. We had our son with us so needed the back seat but they did fold down so bike would have fit all the way in. I looked at a few other cars there and it seemed other models would have worked out as well.
2011-06-12 3:01 AM

User image

Expert
Why do you say that you have to use a cardboard box if you have it shipped? Fedex will ship my Trico Iron Case, although they charge extra because it is oversized.

Pros of airline: Can go overseas, you generally know where it is at any time
Cons of airline: Generally more expensive with the exception of SWA. Have to lug it through airports, counts as one of your checked on bags even though you pay extra for a bike, difficult to transport from airport, airline or TSA could misplace bike causing a delay. Compensation is complicated if lost or destroyed.
Pros of shipping: Generally less expensive. Bike will be waiting for you at hotel (if all goes well). Can insure for full value of bike.
Cons of shipping: Overseas shipping is very expensive, have to ship in advance

Either method could lose, damage or destroy your bike, so that is a draw.

Edited by greyg8r 2011-06-12 3:15 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shipping bike versus Flying with Bike Rss Feed