Bozeman, Montana
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m 35s
Overall Rank = 34/80
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early to the finish line to take a bus to the start. It was about 40 degrees, but felt very cold waiting for the race to start.
Run
  • 4h 35m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Much of the first 4 miles were uphill which was tough, but I tried to just cruise as much as possible and was a little sad hitting the 4 mile mark knowing it would be over in just a few more hours. Between 4-10 something came over me and I ran some sub-8 and all sub-9 minute miles (more of a 10 min. mile girl) but it felt relatively easy, so I didn't really hold back. Not sure it that was a pacing mistake as I did then slow down some mid-race. I found myself counting down the miles pretty early thinking how 20 miles really isn't far at all left and I "can run 20 in my sleep", but the reality was that it as a little tough. At mile 23 I really tried to focus and find my zen place and tried to be thankful that NOTHING hurt (ok, my shoulders were sore on and off...), but that kind of made me feel bad that I couldn't run with ease without an identifiable hindrance. I was working hard at the end even resorting to running to landmarks and then taking walking breaks which I know is not defeat, but felt a little like it at the time and still does some. I didn't go into the race planning any PR's, but was still humbled somewhat by the difficulty of this race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

The race finished on the university track. Casey (who did the 1/2) tried to run me in, but couldn't keep up the last 1/4 mile. Ate some pizza and talked to other runners, then headed down to Yellowstone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't really taper for this race (18 miler 10 days before, hiking week of) or even specifically train for it as I'm in the midst of Ironman/100 miler training. I race best when fully recovered and rested.

Event comments:

It will be hard to find a prettier, more friendly race. It does stand as a reminder though of how much more work I will have to do to reach my goal of a sub 4 hour marathon and eventual BQ. I am not even close!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:35:35 | 26.2 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/80
Performance:
Course: Prettiest course I've done yet. Back country roads and some in town dirt paths, but a significant amount of uphill and some steep declines too. Mountain views for the entire race. Elevation 4810-not really sure if that affected anything or not. The course was a little unclear in two spots which did add about an extra 1/2 mile. Aid stations only every 3 miles so I used a handheld and stopped to refill. Great volunteers though!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes