General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon Mont-Tremblant - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Canada
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 30m
Overall Rank = 229/274
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/35
Pre-race routine:

First time, no routine.
Event warmup:

Walk around the site
Swim
  • 18m 30s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the back of the pack, outside to avoid the crowd.
So much fog I had to remove my googles to be able to spot the buoy, which actually were just a green flag. Fummy idea considering the surroundings are a big green forest and there was no wind for the flag to wave....
After rounding the bouy, I felt I took an outside course and made twice the distance. On the other hand, I was never alone, so I think it is an impression
What would you do differently?:

ANTI FOG and better googles.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Do not know T1 time. Managed to take off top of wet-suit while running to T1 more easily than I thought. Was wearing running shoes, so took the time to put on socks, shoes and T-shirt.

BUY BIB HOLDER. I saw the other carry it on the back. I was planning to pin it on the T-Shirt then realized it may be torn by the speed/wind.
Bike
  • 55m 44s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 13.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Every-one was passing me: all AG and gender. Felt like a movie, was laughing at some point at the situation.
I was carefull to stay on the right all the time, but this increased my distance.

1. Train more (had my bike in May and rode it 3 times only thinking the cardio from the pool and the running was enough, ah ah ah....)
2. Bike fit (had no time to come back to the shop as they offered me)
Consider bike shoes (maybe clips). My running shoes do not fit well in the cage
3. Gain confidence on the bike (drinking while biking was scary, neary came to a full stop to put bottle back). High speed and curves do not feel natural.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Do not know the time. Just swapped t-shirt
Run
  • 24m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

With the result on the bike, I was running amongts the slowest competitors. Was passing a LOT of people and thought I was doing great, so I continued at a pace that felt right. Sprinted around the end and passed 5 more people in the last 100m, was not exhausted when I get to the finish line. Running is where I have the most background, I should have used a faster pace overall and definitly hit it hard on the return path.
I tried to encourage some participants but they felt annoyed by that, did not work too well on my mental/motivation.

Go faster / stronger. Note that more training on the bike should help me keep some more energy on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: experience (spotting course, swimming with others)
Bike: Poor bike training
Run: mental. Did not feel like being in a race.

Event comments:

This was my first, so not sure if the rating is fair or not.
This was also my first race ever and do not have background in organized sports. The training at lunch time with the co-workers gave good feelings. The crowd at the event felt more inaccessible (did not even returned my greetings as I was setting-up in the T-zone, or felt bothered by some encouragements I gave during the race, or did not acknowledge apologies during the swin even thought there was eye contact). Might just be me, might just have been the event itsef, but it felt like an obnoxious elite club. Huge exception to that was my immediate neighbor in the T-Zone. Super friendly, very helpfull, great chat, good spirit, if it was not for him it would have been a bitter day. Sport-wise, VERY pleased with the experience. I think I will do another one with better physical and mental preparation, and have my ipod and warm-up on from arrival to start of the race.

Last updated: 2011-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:30 | 820 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 183/274
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:55:44 | 12.43 miles | 13.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/35
Overall: 256/274
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Car circuit (loop)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/35
Overall: 171/274
Performance: Below average
Course: Some hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-12 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada
Subject: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant - Sprint Course

2011-06-12 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3544555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant - Sprint Course

Congratulations !!   Great job on your first tri.  More time on the bike will give you much greater confidence for your next one 

kelly

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant - Sprint Course Rss Feed