United States
Piranha Sports, LLC
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 15s
Overall Rank = 301/400
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 13/21
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race about an hour early. Pumped my bike tires, got body marked, set up transition, drank some water and went to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Not much, walked around the event and talked with some friends. Went down to look at the water and check the temperature, it was nice! 74degrees.
Swim
  • 09m 31s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was a beach start in 74degree water and was perfect. OUt and back around 2 buoys. Swim was a wave start and my group was placed with every other male 39 and younger so there were about 81 of us. Got hit a little bit and got behind some slow people but I sighted well and made my way around slower swimmers. My actual time out of water was 8:48 but there was about 50yrd dash to the time mat at transition and that kinda stunk.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than go faster which will come with time and practice. I had a real good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

T1 was a little rough. I got out of the swim fast (8:48) but there was a 50yrd dash or so to the time mat and to T1 so it made my time slower. I found my bike pretty easy. Problem was the run to T1 was in high grass and was really mudddy which I didnt like at all. I spend alot of time cleaning my feet off before I put on my socks which I definately needed. Shoes and socks on, shirt, helmet and glasses and I was off. Improved my T1 time by over 2 mins which was awsome. Felt good getting onto the bike, wasnt tired and out of breath.

Not much I can do about the mud and location of T1, just tri to go a little faster.
Bike
  • 42m 5s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was rough for me, it is my weakest discipline by far. I got tired on the bike and was getting passed by people. I know I improved my pace from last year but I still have a ways to go.

I need more time on the bike. I definately didnt do enough bike rides or trainer rides to prepare for the race. I think that I can improve my bike time for the next race by simply getting out there more and biking.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Transition went really well. I got lock laces on my running shoes which helped greatly! Got off bike, helmet off, changed shoes and put my race belt on and off I went. I think I had a really good T2 time and I was happy.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 54s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

same as in course description. I did not like the run course at all. Too congested and rough terrain.

Nothing more simple than doing some brick training. I didnt do any brick training before this race and my legs felt it when I started the run. Other than that, not much. My pace and breathing were where I wanted it to be. I do think I would have been faster if I had practiced some brick workouts.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got my medal and went over to the food/beverage tent and got some granola and water. Met up with some friends, took some photos and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time on the bike and not doing any brick workouts.

Event comments:

Very well run race and very friendly atmosphere. I would run this race again.

Last updated: 2011-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:31 | 440 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 122/400
Performance:
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Beach start, out and a square around 2 buoys then back to shore
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:05 | 10 miles | 14.26 mile/hr
Overall: 337/400
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: one large loop around the park, flat roads with some slight rollers. Plenty of police and volunteer presence on the course to make it closed off and very safe for us.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:54 | 02 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 296/400
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back through the woods. RD actually changed the run course prior to the event. Coming out of T2 we went straight into the woods. Run course was mostly through high/wet grass (rained night before) and the woods. Alot of mud and wet rocks/tree stumps. I did not particuarly like this run course. The path was very narrow and you could easily rub shoulders with people on their way back and made it very difficult to pass people. I noticed several people almost fall during the run because of the terrain. My pace was not as fast as I wanted it too be. I was planning on 9min/mile but my calves were screaming at me when I got out of T2. I slowed down and walked a little because I thought I had pulled a muscle. I calmed down by the turnaround, got some water and ran straight to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes