Set Up Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 53s
Overall Rank = 34/435
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, started a pot of coffee and ate my normal breakfast. I should have made the coffee stronger b/c I almost fell asleep on the couch. Finished packing my bag and then headed to the site. My bike is a 61cm so I wanted to get to the transition site early enough to raise the bike pole up. My last tri, the bike rack already had 5 bikes on it and I couldn't adjust the pole for my saddle to rest on. No worries today though.
Event warmup:

I had a sweatshirt on most of the morning just to get my muscles warmed up. Jog/ run on the beach, stretch, and then swam for a bit. Checked and double checked my transition area, had a gatorade and then headed to the swim start.
Swim
  • 29m 32s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

There was no countdown (or at least I never heard it) for the wave to start. I was just standing there fixing my goggles when the horn went off. Into the first two buoys I felt great and was sighting dead-on. Since the turn buoy was next I decided to increase my stroke rate and not site for about 30 strokes. Big mistake, after our wave started, the buoy was moved to the right of us several hundred feet. When I looked up to site the buoy was nowhere to be seen. I had to stop and figure out where I was. So I headed into the current early just so I could get back on track. The current was a blast though, I wasn't tired at all even though I wasn't making the time I wanted. I eventually made the turn and tried not hit the pier on my way to the beach. I was honestly having a blast at this point.
What would you do differently?:

Talk to the guys on the kayak and say "so....are you planning on moving the the buoy after I start swimming?"
Transition 1
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Had a little trouble once on the bike, one of the top shoe straps came out and had the thread it, but got up to speed fairly quickly.

Nothing really, Im learning the no race is perfect. It's all about how you deal with the challenges.
Bike
  • 54m 26s
  • 21 miles
  • 23.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Boy was this course set on some rough roads, I did my best to avoid potholes but still managed to hit a few. There was some wind out there, but not bad, was able to hold 20mph into the wind, fastest speed w/ the wind was 28.88mph. I witnessed two crashes, but nothing too bad. Overall the course was great, just need better surfaces.

Talk to the cops and say "so....are you gonna let someone drive right out in front of me?"
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

At T-2 my right hamstring started to cramp, it forced me to sit down to put my shoes on. But it didn't concern me enough to stretch it out.

Stretch more before the race, I knew my legs were tight and neglected them.
Run
  • 36m 40s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shooting for a 7 minute pace but was slightly over that. Loved the support on the run, they were great and motivating. I believe that if I open up my stride a little more I'll hit my pace right off the bike.

Say it together now..."Bricks"
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately I took in 1 coke, 1 gatorade, and 1 slice of pizza. Hung out with my wife and son at the beach for a bit and waited to the results to post.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience and discipline in training.

I cannot say the current effected me b/c we all had to deal with it. I'm sure if the buoy was not moved most people in my wave would have been faster.

Event comments:

This is my third race and second time to the podium...Im pretty stoked about that!

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:32 | 1000 meters | 02m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 0/435
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: One loop. 60 degree left/ out to the first buoy, right hand turn into a 2mph current, right turn straight into the beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:26 | 21 miles | 23.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/28
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops on semi closed course. However, the cop at the first turn must have been very liberal with the semi-closed part because he let a car cross the road right in front of me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:40 | 04.97 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/28
Course: Two loops along the boardwalk and into a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes