General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 24s
Overall Rank = /369
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/42
Pre-race routine:

Well I think I got about 1 hour sleep. I was NERVOUS! I knew this was not going to end up well. We got into Michigan around 11 pm on Friday after a nice 8 hour drive. Should have be 6 but the traffic in Chicago was brutual. But let's forget all that because my head was not in this! I got up around 5:30 because I wanted to get my chip which I had forgotten at the packet pickup. I grabbed a banana and some gatorade. My stomach was telling me something but it wasn't good. Got there in plenty of time and set up my stuff and the two transitions. Walked my bike the mile to T1.
Event warmup:

Hit the porta-potty multiple times. Saw friend Christos. Grabbed some water. But basically I worked myself into a tizzy. They changed the water course. So there was deep water this time. Tested the water. It was nice so I relazed but as the time ticked away my anxiety got worse. My wife, kids and father-in-law showed up about 5 minutes before my start.
Swim
  • 15m 10s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

What do you expect? I panicked. BIG TIME. I was okay at first but once the water was over my head I lost it. My wetsuit works like a charm but I don't let it work for me. I was stiff instead of relaxed. My brain was not working. I was 2 seconds away from calling it quits. Many newbies were calling out for assistance, it was a little disheartening.
What would you do differently?:

How can I relax? That is the big issue. It wasn't a hard swim or choppy water. I just got panicky. It is all in my head. Perhaps a lobotomy would be in order?
Transition 1
  • 05m 27s
Comments:

I took my time. I was winded, disoriented and defeated. Luckily my family was there to cheer me on. I looked at all the empty racks and laughed. Luckily I wasn't the last bike left. But it was close.

I guess I should work on my transitions
Bike
  • 40m 20s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess I need a new bike fit because I was not comfortable on this bike at all! 2 miles in my water bottle rocketed out the back. Luckily this was just a sprint and it was cool out. I also got a brain fart and was riding in the fast lane. Speedier rider had to correct me. Sorry!! My gear changes sucked too! I really don't think the aero disc cover worked that great - for me! I need more power in the engine!

Get a bike fit. Ride the bike more!
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Better than usual. I was thirsty and hungry so I grabbed some shot blocks. That story will come later!!! Forget to put on my hat!

Nothing well, wait, maybe get tri bike shoes? The straps on mime were hard to get out of.
Run
  • 31m 14s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well as I got out of T2, I grabbed some water and ate a Shot Blok. As I was parched my throw was dry and probably constricting. Not a good combo for putting a square object in it. About 100 yards from the start, I started choking. The blok was stuck. The funny part is that I was doing this about fifty feet in front of a ambulance. But apparently unless there was blood I wasn't getting any assistance. After a couple of dry heaves I got it out and I was on my way. My goal was not to stop which was accomplished except for a water stop.

Endurance? I don't know I really had no rhythm out there. I should have worn my MP4 player.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Christos and his family, Snuck mine into the runner's area. Just sorta hung out. They left to get something to eat and I stayed around until the raffle. I won a wetsuit last year so I was hoping my luck would return. Out some pizza and drank some water. Prepared myself for the journey back to Chicago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

OWS! Hyno-therapy? Sorry but if the swim wasn't such a detriment to my mental ability this would have been a decent race. I am not a true triathlete. Pure and simple! I like them but unless I dedicate myself to them like many on here do I will always be BOP. Is that okay? Not sure. I am not going to quit though swims like these are demoralizing and, quite frankly, embarassing!

Event comments:

Races are for me. I am out to prove that I can do something challenging however, you have have to push yourself. In terms of the swim, I am not challenging myself because I am not preparing myself. I can't just do the swim without practicing because one day I could find myself in a bad situation and no one there to help me.
In the end, I did it and not a ton of people can say this is how they spent their Sunday.

Last updated: 2011-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:10 | 547 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 344/369
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: A water start. 100 meter parallel to beach then a triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:20 | 12.43 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Overall: 178/369
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 laps around Belle Isle
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:14 | 03.4 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 228/369
Performance: Average
Course: Through the hiking trail, I guess.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-06-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3546236

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Teddie!! Great race!! I know you are a little down on yourself, but I think you did great. First of all, you swam, then biked, and then ran in a race that you finished, so you are a "true triathlete". You are not a fan of the open water, you say you were 2 seconds from quitting, but you didn't quit. You finished the swim and kept going. Not only did you keep going, but you must have passed a bunch of people based on your overall rankings in the swim compared to the bike and run.

Must have been nice to have your family there.

Congratulations on a great race!!

2011-06-18 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3546236

New user

New York
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Great job getting through it...your description had me rolling on the floor in sympathy...Laughing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed