General Discussion Race Reports! » June Olympic Distance Triathlon - Guatemala Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

June Olympic Distance Triathlon - Guatemala - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Puerto San Jose,
Guatemala
Guatemalan Triathlon Federation
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 am, 90 min before race time, and had a light breakfast consisting of a bagel with jelly and a banana with orange juice. Drove to the Pacific Naval Base with enough time to get numbers marked, biked checked and gear properly arranged in T1.
Event warmup:

Swam a little before the start of the race
Swim
  • 31m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim pace has been consistent during all of my races to date (2 Sprints and 1 Oly tri) and felt better coming out of the water this time versus 1st Oly tri 5 weeks ago. Warm water swim so no wetsuits, but had benefit of increased buoyancy due to salinity of the ocean (vs training on the swimming pool).
What would you do differently?:

Continue to increase a portion of my swim training on improving speed/conditioning vs. heavy focus on improving form.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Lost some time trying to get socks on and then road biking shoes with straps on. Was able to save some time by having my gels/bars already on bike on a new bento box (vs tugging them in my singlet pockets in T1 during my last tri).

Get tri specific bike shoes and learn to mount/ jump with them already on the bike. Practice more my transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 9s
  • 23.39 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Based on our great BT mentor's advice (Ernesto Villaroel), did a better job at pacing early on using my HR data and consumed my energy gels and bars during the first 15 minutes of my ride. Felt good and was able to maintain a consistent pace close to 20 mph. Finished with enough energy for the run, unlike my previous Tri 5 wks ago where I was tired during the bike segment and even more for the run.

Increase frequency/distance of my long rides and do more sprint work
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Lost time removing Garmin 305 from the bike to strap on my wrist. Improved a little getting running shoes on by getting elastic lock laces

Practice more my transitions
Run
  • 56m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started run too strong and was not able to maintain a constant pace, plus extreme heat did not help. At the end of the race was able to push myself with everything I had left to increase pace. Got blisters because of wet shoes from water sponges for cooling runners.

Work on increasing aerobic base and do more/longer bricks (bike/run) to get better at Tri run.
Post race
Warm down:

Met with friends at the finisher's tent and had a lot of water/Gatorade and a bowl of fruit to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited experience and conditioning, which results in not optimizing my energy (e.g. pushing my self too hard early on) along with the hot and humid weather (90-96F). However, I was able to improve my overall time by 9 minutes vs my previous tri (same course/conditions) 5 weeks before!

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri short + Tri Singlet
Course: Two triangle shape laps of 750M starting from the Naval Base beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:09 | 23.39 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Avg HR 163, max HR 171
Wind: Some
Course: 2 X 20k circuits on main road. Mostly flat with some climbs at underpasses.
Road:   Cadence: 97
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:56:28 | 06.21 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 165, max HR 182
Course: 4 X 2.5k laps of asphalt road inside the Naval Base. Boring run with no shade and gets extra hot in high heat due to dark asphalt road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-13 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: June Olympic Distance Triathlon - Guatemala
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » June Olympic Distance Triathlon - Guatemala Rss Feed