AA sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 9s
Overall Rank = 362/384
Age Group = Athena>40
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, ate a bagel with cc and a banana, drank a cup of coffee, and readied another mug for the car. Had everything packed up just needed to fetch gels & gatorade from the fridge and pack the car up and go man go.
Event warmup:

Arrived stupidly early to the race site - like a good 1.5 hours. Unloaded, got marked and dumped my pack in transition and went off to scope the new transition / swim course layout due to flooding in the park. Took some time to stretch, hit the john, get my back as relaxed as possible. Then went back into transition to set up my stuff, get the wetsuit on, lube up with sunscreen, and head down to the start. Took a gel with water about 25 mins before start, and did more stretching.

The goal of the race at this point was to do as much of the race as possible. About a week+ prior I strained my mid-back, not sure how, but it was quite stiff, and occasionally very painful. I hadn't swam or biked the week before, and only tried a 10 minute bike to see if I could ride at all the day before. The OWS of last weekend caused massive spasming about half way through, so I was going to take this race one discipline at a time.
Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Athenas were with the <29 females. And boy howdy were they grabby-pants. I set up at the front outside. The first 200 m I took off and got pounded on the side by a girl, and another trying to climb up the back of my legs. I let the one go ahead (I later passed her half way through the swim - neener neener), and kicked like crazy to get the other one off my legs. Messy start. Got into a good rhythm rounding the first buoy, but was having trouble seeing the rest of the buoys so just swam straight and steady. Managed to hit the buoys dead on even though I couldn't sight them well. About half way, just like in last weeks OWS my back started giving me grief. I just kept it steady with lots of body roll and short strokes, particularly on the right side. Back strain seems to be something in the lat area, so I definitely did not have full power on my right side. The straight away was long and painful, and couldn't find any good drafts. Made the final turn and just poured it on, passed a lot of people here. My hand hit bottom about 15 feet from shore, so I had to get up and mud run in, that was a pain in the arse, definitely lost some time there.

About 1:30 mins off last years pace, on a lot more yardage and pool time. Back definitely played a big role in performance.
What would you do differently?:

Not be gimpy. I didn't warm up as usual, but felt like it didn't impact my swim at all, but who knows. I thought for what I could give it, it was a solid swim. I might have tried the clear goggles rather than the mirrored as the clouds came in after starting which made the buoys harder to see, but no biggie.

Kick like hell to keep grabby girls off my feet at the start!
Transition 1
  • 04m 33s
Comments:

The transition was LONG. Maybe .2-.25 miles. And I just couldnt get my shisa together. Wetsuit would not come off. The run out was horrible, legs would not cooperate.

It's time to get a seat pack, i'm sick of sticking my tube & lever in the back pocket. It wastes time.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a minute and change faster this year on the bike. Which I find miraculous for how uncomfortable the second half of the bike was. The first half was great, I was flying. Then about mile 10-12 I started getting a pain in my crotch from the tri suit. I was holding aero religiously to avoid the little wind there was and as it didn't hurt my back. But then about mile 13 my back started stiffening up. It was pretty wild at the airport turn around to see 6 national guard jets taking off - LOUD! Woah. That was cool though, made me go faster! ;) Then around mile 15 my quads and adductors started cramping, both of em. I backed off the pace a bit which was frustrating, and took in more gatorade. At that point I had been drinking to thirst and took in about 2.5 gels and 1/2 bottle of gatorade. Rode into transition with cramps continuing, crotch hurting, back aching, and wondering if I could run at all. I have never been so ready to be off that bike.

At both turn arounds I didnt downshift before making the turn, making it hard to come out of the turn at a good pace. Make better shifting choices on hard turns!

Drink more gatorade! Also took too much gel too late in the game and was burping pineapple roctane the first bit of the run. yuck.
Transition 2
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

I got off the bike and my legs said no way. I shuffled/walked through transition to rack my bike. I spent a little time getting my head together and easing my back with a little stretch. Shoes went on okay, went totally sockless this race and it worked out well. Grabbed my hat, garmin, and took off.

Nothing I could really do differently except hustle!
Run
  • 1h 21m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to finish at this point. In whatever fashion that might be. I managed to eek out the entire run actually running, with three <30 sec walk breaks to take in fluids at aid stations. Alternated electro and water. I just kept moving forward. Back was spasming on and off, so it ached, fortunately couldn't feel the crotch after I got off the bike. I expended a lot of mental energy turning off / ignoring the ache.

My run continues to suck. I hope the marathon training improves it some. Of course the back had a lot to do with it, racing for 3 hours with some sort of ache at constant attention is DRAINING. I ran to the best of my abilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a ton of fluids, ate some of the food provided, listened for results. Waited. Waited. Waited for results. Finally as just about everyone was ready to leave they announced athena results, and I took 1st in A>40. Yay! Bittersweet though, as I really would have preferred a PR!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back gimpiness. Lack of really long rides - though the trainer rides I have been doing with lots of speed work really paid off, I was not at my crit power for the bike, and felt like I had more to give there. Run continues to be my downfall.

Event comments:

Great race, gave it all when I wasn't even expecting to finish. Maybe next year (or later this summer) I'll get the PR I was shooting for. Injuries are a PITA!

Blue Lake is a fun race, and this was even more fun with all the teams vying for the NW championship, great to see PTCers out there on the course as well! I especially LOVED the beaver tails on the OSU Tri Team race belts. Hilarious.

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 184/384
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Counter clockwise around lake 7 or 8 buoys. Different start, exit, and direction from last year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:49 | 24.85 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 316/384
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with two shard turn arounds, mostly flat with one overpass and one underpass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Bad Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:13
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:21:28 | 06.21 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 387/384
Performance: Bad
Min HR: 147 Avg HR: 159 Max HR: 171 1 13m 14s 1.03 miles 12m 53s /mile 157 160 2 12m 54s 0.99 miles 12m 59s /mile 157 160 3 10m 24s 0.76 miles 13m 40s /mile 157 160 4 12m 59s 0.99 miles 13m 11s /mile 160 163 5 02m 54s 0.23 miles 12m 40s /mile 163 165 6 16m 08s 1.15 miles 14m 01s /mile 159 162 7 10m 38s 0.76 miles 13m 57s /mile 159 166 8 03m 22s 0.22 miles 15m 17s /mile 165 171
Course: Out and back along marine drive and through park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-14 2:14 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon

2011-06-14 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3547709

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
Great report. Sorry about the back.
2011-06-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3547709

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
Amazing effort! Way to push thru the injury (and the pushy swimmers!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed