Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 37s
Overall Rank = 35/280
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

Up at 2am, bolus for high BG. Up again at 4am, normal breakfast (1/2 c oatmeal w/ walnuts & cherries + 1 egg + 1 sl turkey bacon, coffee). Off to the races! Not much traffic and easy parking. BG still a bit high...but set temp basal @ 75% since I was hoping not to test during the race.
Event warmup:

Met up with a few friends from church and my friend's teen son. Stood in long bathroom lines, stretched a little. Check BG, still high, cancelled temp basal.
Run
  • 58m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Got ahead of my pace plan in the first couple miles, and wound up doing my best to hang on towards the end. Poured water on my head at each water stop to stay less hot. Definitely a hard effort. Also the first race longer than a 5K where I have not tested my BG during the race.
What would you do differently?:

Train more/better. Maybe go a bit slower in the first couple miles, but given the rising heat it may have been good to bank a little in this one.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed fininsher medal, cold towel, and icee pop at finish line. Really nice job by volunteers. Walked back up the side of the course to encourage my friends to finish strong, and then chatted w/ them for a bit. Did not realize the awards had started since we were chatting, and then figured we'd go check the results board. Shocked to see I got 3rd in my AG. Went to claim prize after the awards were over since I missed it. Met my friend's son and his friend after the 1/2 and congratulated them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hope to train more/better for the next one, but very happy w/ this effort and result given my training. Heat didn't help things, but flat course did, so it's all good.

Event comments:

Really thought this race was well done and for a great cause. Water stop and finish line volunteers were awesome. Runners lacked for nothing. Really like this size of race...no big traffic tie ups on the race course or on the road. Hope to do it again next year.

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:37 | 06.2 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 35/280
Performance: Good
Avg HR 181 Max 194 8:56, 9:15, 9:43, 9:39, 10:12, 9:59, 1:04
Course: Nice and flat, much of it on the Campion trail, which is very nice. Volunteers did great job on the water stops, and the shower thing across the trail was VERY WELCOME.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes