8.25 hours of sleep, glass of water, glass of soy milk, large banana
Event warmup:

5min stretch, 250yd warmup to loosen up
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beat goal of 30mins, if I get rid of relying on brest and back for rest during swim and practice flip turns I can get the time down. Stroke starts off solid but after first 1k it really gets messy. 5 of 10 effort. Need to work on more straight freestyle 2k swims.
What would you do differently?:

extra warmup definitely helped, still a little tight from yesterdays workout, should have rested the day before more, ie easier workout.
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

crowded locker room had to switch lockers for some space to change, drying off feet and using rolled socks made it easier. Mental run through while swimming helped not forget anything. Someone jumped on my pre-setup lifecycle so I lost 30-45secs finding and mounting foot straps, etc. Wacked my face with the strap during hast. Made me laugh. Sucked down energy gel.

Maybe try pulling bike shorts over swim suit to simulate race.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 15s
  • 26 miles
  • 25.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall more work than last time, maybe 6 out of 10 effort. 1st 13mi @ 31mins, 2nd 13mi @ 29mins. Negative split! Stretch & energy gels definitely helped.

Try to quickin pace ealier so I can slow down in 2nd half, although neg split is good motivation for keeping up.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

30 secs to get a set treadmill, took 90secs to stretch legs.

All good.
Run
  • 49m 10s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of water at end, cotton mouth during cooldown was tiring. Good run. 1st half foot revs at 196 or so, 2nd half increased to 200+. Started heel striking at end and had to really concentrate on foot revs and keep it light with a mid-strike Maybe 7 of 10 effort. Need to practice this on more longer runs.

Make sure I have a full water bottle at beginning of run.
Post race
Warm down:

0.25 jog, 0.25 walk, 10min stretch, 6 X 8oz water total, 3 shots of LAVA energy gel (100cal/ea), 300 cal Promax protein bar at end, shower, lunch and nap!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Held back at swim not wanting to overdo it too early. Could have increased effort slightly, flip turns and more freestyle would definitely help. Bike was good, and run was faster than expected. Need to take an easier previous day and make sure I get plenty of good food and sleep. Forgot my Omega fattys this morning!

Event comments:

I loved it! Had to push a little harder than last time, run was way tougher due to faster bike I think. Need to keep running techique solid no matter how tired. Shaved 3:30 off swim, 2mins off run and bike each and 1:30 off transitions. 9 minutes faster than last month. Missed goal by 1 minute, but I can live with that! WOOHOO!

Last updated: 2004-02-23 5:09 PM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 1500 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1
Performance: Good
(200fr/50br/100bk/150fr)x2 followed by 500fr to finish, easy swim, heart trate probably 135bpm or so, open turns, tri bilat breathing but gulped water so went to 2 breaths double stroke on right side usual. Pool was getting crowded toward the end.
Suit: speedo jammer, cap, goggles
Course: gym pool, shared middle lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:15 | 26 miles | 25.89 mile/hr
Overall: 1/1
Started off easy, then at 1 min upped to pace. Manual setting, level 13 or so. Tought keeping it a 90+, stated seating like a dog quickly, forced hydration every 15 minutes. Needed to pee at halfway but worked thru it. pace a little slow so upped to 14 at tried to keep 95rpm+. 2nd energy shot at 45mins, Yikes too fast heart rate above 150bpms, slowed to level 13 but keep the rpms 95+. Tried to spin out (100rpms+) too early at 15min to go, had to slow down. Pushed it the last 10mins to make 1hr goal, last 5mins really tough.
Wind:
Course: upright Lifecycle at gym
Road:   Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:10 | 06.2 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 1/1
Started jogging slow for first quarter, then increased to 8min/mi pace. Tough at first but got into it quick. 1-2 mile was work but nothing like rigorous 3rd mile. #rd energy gel shot at mile 3. Boy I wanted to bonk. Concentrated on breathing and foot revs. Gel must have kicked in at mile 4 so I increased pace to 7:30min/mi to end. Very tough last half mile but kept it strong.
Course: treadmill, 0 incline
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1.75
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes