Capri Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 22s
Overall Rank = 2048/3632
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 390/529
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 took a shower to wake up and had some juice and water and then weht down to transition with Jim (rio) and Marc (jernigancpa).
Event warmup:

No warm up. Just made sure that the transiton was set up and ready. Which was pretty difficult to do in the dark. Next year I will remember to bring a light for my head. Jim, Marc and I spent some time making sure a route to our spot in transtion would be found easily. 7500 bikes could be a little hard to desifer when you are tired. You only had one and a half hours to set up and it closed proply at 6:00 am
Swim
  • 40m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, the cool thing is there were 18 waves in front of me so you could watch how the other swimmers were doing and how the were exiting. The bad thing is that you had to stand in your group three waves in advance in your wet suit sweating to death. Two minutes before your wave takes off you jump into the 72 deg. water and tread. I tried to position my self to the back off the pack so I would not get killed when to buzzer went off. I still got pushed around, but at least not kicked. The water was alot more choppy than anything I had ever swam in before and I spent the first 150 to 200 meters swimming with my head out of the water. Every time I tried to put my face in the water and then try to breath to my side a wave of water was there for me to breath in. It took to about the first bouy to get in to a rythem. I had to breath to my left the whole time to keep the sun out of my eyes and to keep track of the pier which I was using most of the time to sight. I free styled 80 to 85 percent and only breast stroked to sight and to let faster peaple by to avoid getting kicked in the face. The wet suit and drafting made this a pretty fun swim in the end.
What would you do differently?:

More yardage in the pool and open water practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

Other than the the transition area being a half mile on asphalt away it went well. I had a little problem getting my suit of due to my race bracket on my wrist other than that there was not much else I coul change.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was fast and senic. There were quite a bit of tall bumps in the road as well as a lot of pot hole fillins witch kind of made it an obstacle course at times. There were times on the course were it felt you were flying and it took very little effert. There were more people with flat tires then I had ever seen before. I was starting to think when was I going to get a flat tire.

The course had a perfect mix of rolling hills an flats. I thought racing down lake shore was an absolute blast. There was not one time on the bike were I was not having fun.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Took my time at transition to make sure I had every ting and drank some gatorade with some E-CAPs.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 05m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again the Run was very hot, no clouds in the sky and no shade. I did manage to run the whole route with only walking at the aid stations were i would drink a water and gaterade then pour another water over my head.

Getting into the running transtion felt pretty good this time and was easier than the last race to settle into a pace. After mile three it was about 2 mile before mile 4 which came twice. Let me tell you that when you think you only have 2.2 miles left and you havn't got to the 10 k turn around sign yet and then when you are on your way back and then you see the 4 mile sign again you just want o pass out because you still have 2.2 more miles and you are no closer to the finsh then what you tought. From the the second 4 mile sign to 5 mile sign was absolutely brutal. It felt like 5 miles in the desert with no water. Mile 5 to 6 went much better except for the face I tought I had to go much farther based on the cource map so I reserved some energy to farther. We all tought the race finsh was on the other far side of the hilton. If only I new it was only One block away I could have ran a little fast a little earler. But by that time my race was already ran. The run was hot, but I finished tired and smiling.

Train with more miles in the heat and more bricks
Post race
Warm down:

After I was finished with the race I hung out at the finish and waited for my friends Jim and Marc to cheer them in. Jim started his race 20 minutes after my race started and Marc's was 4 minutes before mine this was also his first olympic distance race. We were all very excited for him when he finished and so was he.

About 20 minutes after our race were over I started to get a pretty bad cramp in my stomach. So i spent some time hunched over and hanging out thinking I would get over it. Then I stood up to wake around and quickly sat down agian. Jim told me the is no shame in going to the medical tent to get checked out so thats what i did. To make a long story short I had bad gas and I got a cold gaterade out of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and not knowing the course.

Event comments:

I will do this race agian next year. It was very well done and organized. Next ime we are going to come down on friday and leave on monday so we can stay and enjoy the activitys and beer.

Last updated: 2005-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:34 | 1640 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/529
Overall: 2893/3632
Performance: Good
Suit: P-FLEX
Course: We swam in lake michigan harbour. The course was south 300 meters then north 1200 all along the pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:47 | 24.85 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Overall: 1100/3632
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: It was a out and back loop on Lake Shore Drive
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:35 | 06.21 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 2333/3632
Performance: Below average
Course: It was an out and back around Shedd Aquarium and Grant park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 8:42 PM

User image

Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

2005-08-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #237044

User image

West Lafayette, Indiana
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon

Great job on your Olympic tri Eric.  It's looks like you guys had a great race.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Maybe next year I will do it with you. Did you have trouble finding your bike in the transition area? Looks like you held a great pace on your bike leg to. nice job.  I better get my butt in gear if I am going to keep up with you at the Purdue race.

T.J.

2005-08-29 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
I only competed in the sprint but congrats on finishing. I was with a group of 6 frineds for the sprint and next year we are competing in the International distance. Can't wait and again great job.
2005-08-30 7:22 AM
in reply to: #237079

User image

Tj,

I did have great race and a good time at the event. I lucked out when it came to the transition area, my rack was at the entrance from the swim so it was easy to find. See you at purdue!

thanks

eric

2005-08-30 7:23 AM
in reply to: #237095

User image

Thanks for the comments!  Its nice to do a race with friends and have a good time.  Great job on your race and good luck next year!

eric

2005-08-30 8:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Well done!  No kidding about the heat coming back from the run loop, I was dying out there.  Way to finish strong!

2005-08-30 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Great race Eric,

Your bike split is awesome.  Way to finish strong and thanks for the water and Gatorade at the finish.  Can't wait until next year.

2005-08-31 11:31 AM
in reply to: #237485

User image

You are welcome!  Thats what it is all about,  Friends and fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon Rss Feed