Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-18 12:47 AM
in reply to: #3551470

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Is this what it's come to?

This is exactly why I never attempt to interact with kids of any age. Ever. Oh wait. I have smiled at babies if they are staring at me - usually in restaurants and from at least 10 feet away. That's it. You never know when you're gonna get a freak.

The 'stranger=danger-in-all-situations" policy leads to kids and young adults who can barely speak to anyone but their peers. I've watched a 10 year old literally hide behind mommy and not even say a polite hello when introduced to someone. I'd expect that of a 3 yr old. Watching it happen with a 10 year old was kindof sad.

2011-06-18 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3554850

User image

Master
ChineseDemocracy - 2011-06-17 5:14 PM
verga - 2011-06-17 5:23 AM
1stTimeTri - 2011-06-15 9:31 PM

But, why waste time?  The guy just finished his workout and entered the locker room...he has the idea to swim but knows the pool's pretty busy...you'd literally waste the time to walk out of the locker room to the front desk?  or go all the way into the pool area and bother the coach passing by 20 or 30 kids? (including the kid with the ridiculous father?)  

Of course it's wise to avoid situations in which you are alone with a child to avoid he-said/she-said situations, but this guy walked into a locker room!  He didn't go within 25' of this kid.  I feel terrible for this guy.  In my opinion, if a kid is old enough to know what time his class ends, it's okay to ask him or her when it ends.  To me it's about common sense and common courtesy.

Why waste the time? Well because I value my teaching license and position. If I am even accused of an impropiety I am immediately suspended.

After this there is a hearing. These things make the newspaper or local news and even though I may be innocent stories like this get a life of their own and follow you.

I have never been a big drinker, but I make extra sure not to consume any alcohol (Except a sip a church for communion) where any of my students might see.

To me it is just not worth the risk, but others can do as they see fit. 

2011-06-18 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh

Devil's advocate here: I don't think a grown man should necessarily be asking a 7 year old boy who is alone in the bathroom questions. A lot of molesters have "intro" questions to gauge how pliable a kid is. They start out innocently enough...

Also, Gavin DeBecker has a book called The Gift of Fear. In it he talks about our innate ability to sense danger. Kids, especially girls are taught at a young age to override that fear. "Come on, give your Uncle Bill a hug" seems innocent enough and a parent will demand it when the kid doesn't feel comfortable.

Not saying the guy didn't overreact, but I have that perspective. When you weigh in 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted before their 18th birthday, it's cause for at least heightened awareness.

2011-06-18 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3555466

User image

Elite
FishrCutB8 - 2011-06-18 11:22 AM

Devil's advocate here: I don't think a grown man should necessarily be asking a 7 year old boy who is alone in the bathroom questions. A lot of molesters have "intro" questions to gauge how pliable a kid is. They start out innocently enough...

Also, Gavin DeBecker has a book called The Gift of Fear. In it he talks about our innate ability to sense danger. Kids, especially girls are taught at a young age to override that fear. "Come on, give your Uncle Bill a hug" seems innocent enough and a parent will demand it when the kid doesn't feel comfortable.

Not saying the guy didn't overreact, but I have that perspective. When you weigh in 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted before their 18th birthday, it's cause for at least heightened awareness.

I just wanted to clarify.  It wasn't questions, plural.. It was question, singular.  Again, 25' away seems to me a safe distance to address a kid.  

btw, I don't doubt that stat, but I'd bet a lot of dough the majority of those victims are victims of fam. members and/or relatives/family friends...not complete strangers.

btw, any parent that demands their kid hug somebody they don't feel comfortable hugging is not doing the right thing...in my opinion of course.

2011-06-18 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

It all starts with one...completely innocent...question...

2011-06-19 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Precisely because of the facts laid out by Fishrcutb8, many kids now are told to ignore adults who ask for help (with directions, or finding lost dog, or whatever), and trained "grownups ask for help from other grownups."  Also fwiw I don't think a 7 or 8 year old kid necessarily knows what time class gets out.  They go when Mom or Dad says "get in the car" and leave when it's over.  Things are easier when you're 7 or 8, as well they should be. 

But I also agree with gearboy: the Dad could have just said, "sorry, we teach our son not to talk to strangers, the class gets out at X" and called it a day. He didn't need to be so over-the-top hostile about it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is this what it's come to? Rss Feed  

of 2