Sun Sport Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 455/505
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 and got myself moving. Had to pack up the hotel room too. I almost puked but just wretched. The anxiety was killing me.
Event warmup:

I suppose I could have swam, but I didn't. I just wanted to get going. Things were a bit disorganized in the morning and the race went off late.
Swim
  • 45m 56s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hard to spot orange buoys when you are in the orange cap group. Very good conditions. Long Pond has no current or waves. I should have swam harder.
What would you do differently?:

Go harder.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Didn't really rush, so I can't complain. I just wanted to make sure I had everything like gloves.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a target power of 105 and I was really short. I don;t why I lost gas so much. I had a hammer espresso gel every 30 min. The last 2 gels ended up all over my hands. I didn't stop to refill my speedfil.

I had major anxiety about the open course. I only had 1 problem when on a major road, there was a funeral procession in the oncoming lane, so the traffic getting around the bikers couldn't really swerve that wide around us. I don't like cars.

I so need to just go harder, but I needed to leave something for the run and considering my run performance, I don't know if I could justify going harder
Transition 2
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

I also drank, ate a few bites of PB&J and reapplied sunscreen. Yeajackson was there to encourage me.

Go faster as usual.
Run
  • 2h 56m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am the worst runner. I fell pretty good for the first 6 miles, but then things fell apart. I "ran" up until mile 9 except through the aid stations. Then I walked a little. I had a lot of pain in my feet and knees. If you had told me that there was 1 more mile, I don't think I could have done it.

I did get a good tip from a racer after the mile 1 aid station. She told me to put ice in my sportsbra. I did it at every aid station and also put it in my hat. That really kept me cool.

My run training leading up to this race was limited due to a leg injury. I think that had I been better prepared, I would have done better.
Post race
Warm down:

I cried when I crossed the finish. I was so happy. I grabbed a soda, packed up my gear and went for a short dip in the pond. Then we headed right back home to NYC. I called all the necessary people to let them know I completed the race, uninjured.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weak muscles.

Event comments:

No expo associated with the race. I like buying stuff at the race expo. No vendors for spectators to buy from. Not even water.

Morning of the race, the people directing traffic did a poor job. Registration and body marking really held racers up outside of transition and delayed the start. On the course there were a lot of volunteers and seemed very organized.

Last updated: 2010-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:56 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 414/505
Performance: Average
Suit: Xtrerra Vortex 2
Course: Rectangular course. No waves or current.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:52 | 56 miles | 15.28 mile/hr
Overall: 472/505
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of rolling hills. No big hills. Nice course around farms and lakes. Course was open to traffic, but at all intersections there was a police officer stopping vehicles so bikes could pass without stopping.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 67
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:56:33 | 13.1 miles | 13m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 449/505
Performance: Bad
Course: 1 loop of rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan
Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2011-06-19 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3556979

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Congrats on the finish, you did really well, don't sell your self short, you put in a good effort, it was nice seeing you and great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed