United States
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 30s
Overall Rank = 267/449
Age Group = M35-40
Age Group Rank = 35/46
Pre-race routine:

Nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't trained at all this season due to work and personal issues but racing is pure fun so you know I'm going to go out there and have a truckload of it (fun).
Setting up Transition was just a walk in the park. I didn't stress one bit about getting there early or obsessing over having every little detail covered. I just went with the flow and relied on my prior race experience to guide me in prepping for the event.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 21m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

What a swim! I don't know...about half way through the swim I said to myself, Self: "how did you get here...and why aren't you even close to being done yet?" I will say that I was starting to get fatigued about half-way to three-quarters of the way through the swim. But it was not too much of an effort to complete the rest of the swim.
The water was PERFECT and I didn't go hard or spike in effort the whole way. This was a preconcieved approach because, did I mention, I haven't trained all season? Before too much longer, I was on the sand bar and the swim finish was only a few swim strokes away.
Piece of Cake!
What would you do differently?:

I think I would have been a bit more aggressive since I didn't really have anything to lose. But, since I didn't swim one single stroke since last year I was too worried that I would have an altercation in the water. In this phase I thought I would just be cautious and make it out alive.
Transition 1
  • 12m 2s
Comments:

NO WAY IN HELL that I had a 12 minute T-1! Anyway, I got to my area and got my suit off pretty quickly. I was still taking things easy due to lack of any training. Plus last year at this race after T-1, I got a really bad cramp or something right in my ass and I couldn't even pedal. I had to spend 5 minutes on the side of the road wondering what to do and about 2 miles pedalling with one leg.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Yikes this is the 2nd time during the race where I had to ask myself what the hell I was doing out there. This point came during the approach for the finish of the bike into Transition. I was all set to roll into Transition, I had my feet out of my shoes, I took my Gu, and took a few healthy swigs of my water...but guess what...I still had the 2nd loop to go! Oh my God! I was already thinking about having to admit this on my Race Report and to anyone else who would listen.

This is what you get for 1) not training, 2) taking it easy prepping for a race, and 3) not studying the course description.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Well finally getting into T-2 was a welcome event, that's for sure. I was low on water during the 2nd loop due to my lack or preparedness. But after practicing coming into T-2 during the 1st loop, I was at the ready to get things done right the 2nd time around.

Nothing. This T-2 was extra special however. This race happened to be on my actualy birthday! Read on...
Run
  • 50m 46s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I ran the whole run course with my birthday hat on. I got so many laughs and good hearted comments. Best decision I could have made apart from running in my birthday suit.

Unfortunately, I couln't make up any of the time I gave away on the bike for not training. But, I kept a somewhat uncomfortable 8:00/mile pace the whole way and I'm happy with that. There was a bit of cramping creeping up in the hammies so I knew if I pushed it they would slow me down to a crawl. So I just stayed below the cramping threshold and rode it out the whole way. Besides I was having too much fun with the birthday hat to end it early.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank plenty of water, gatorades, and fruit to cool down and rehydrate. Yelled into the camera filming at the finish line and went over to shake Leon's hand again for giving us another spectacular event and experience.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, did I mention my total lack of training and no swimming at all this season?

Event comments:

Oh, and I chased down Mike Ademle for a quick comment and a picture. He was really nice and even made sure to ask me a couple of personal questions. I know he was busy and had everyone trying to stop and get a picture with him. He was still accomodating and tried to connect with people.

Ok peeps, bring on the comments.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:57 | 1500 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/46
Overall: 65/449
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full-Orca Equip
Course: Relatively well-marked course. Horseshoe shaped to the left, which benefitted me since I breathe exclusively on the left. There were some comments about the course bouyes being small and not very visable but it wasn't too bad. I think we're all accostomed to bigger bouyes that's all.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 12:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:27:55 | 24.85 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/46
Overall: 274/449
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Mostly flat with 4 rollers per circuit on the closed highway portion of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:46 | 06.2 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/449
I had a great T-2 as described above, but what made it special was that it was my birthday on race-day. So, with just a little forethought the day before, I had a Birthday Hat ready to put on after putting on my socks, running shoes and grabbing my race number belt.
Course: The course was out and back along the same course as last years, except for miles 2-5. They wound aroung the residential neighborhood and provided a portion of the course alongside a really nice park. The sun never made it through the hazy cloud cover so the heat never really turned on thankfully.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?