Colorado Masters Running Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 56s
Overall Rank = 32/86
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had a smoothie, showered packe up and headed out. - Registered, port-o-let, put my stuff away, short jog, another port-o-let and then the start
Event warmup:

Friday night about 9:30, my wife comes and says she doesn't want to race Saturday, I can go do it. Well, I have not been running/racing well lately and didn't figure I was running Sat so I did my "long" run over lunch on Friday. So I had no expectations of a quick time. I decided to map out a path and ride to the race. Got it down to 21.5 miles. First 9 on bike paths pretty much then the rest on city streets. The first 15.5 were my old commute to work - so memory lanes so to speak. Felt great on the ride and was really enjoying it. Got to the venue 25 minutes before the start. Did short run out to the start and back to the potty and then back to the start.
Run
  • 38m 56s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out hoping for 7:35's -7:40's but figured that would be way optimistic. Stayed closer to some folks than I anticipated. Hit the first mile marker in 6:55 - didn't seem like it even though it was downhill. Second mile was tougher, nice trail/path then a tough uphill followed by a downhill that had a lot of extra "pebbles" finally hit the second mile in 8:17 - average the 2 and that seems right for the effort I was putting I guess (after mapping come to find out while mile 1 was pretty accurate, the distance between mile marker 1 and mile marker 2 was actually 1.15 miles - wish I would have known that, I would have been feeling much better instead of thinking I was in damage control :( ). Nasty little hill to finish up the lap. Walked through a cup of water and a couple of people passed me. I picked them back off by the time we hit mile marker 1 again. Did that mile and a half in 10:58. Then 8:46 to the "2" mile marker. In that section on guy passed me. Then on the last hill to the finish another guy past me - didn't think I would lose so much ground to him, but in that short stretch it turned out to be 12 seconds - Yuck. I supposedly finished the last 1/2 mile or so in 3:58. Low and behold, those last 2 guys to pass me were in my age group :(
Now I have to question what ever happened to my fighting spirit. I use to pick people off in the last 1/2 mile and seldom get passed after the first mile or two. But this year, I just have been letting it go, letting people go - just not having it. I want it back, or maybe I am just going out to quick for my current fitness level.
What would you do differently?:

Overall, nothing it was a great day, a fun run considering I thought I was going to be at home with the kids, but instead I go to get in 50 miles on the bike and a 5 mile race.....
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a soda then went out for a 1 mile cool down with Greyhound and Kevin. Came back for door prizes and awards. About 9:45 headed home on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed work, missing base miles, run the day before, the 21 mile warmup ride - but this was a good June test for my re-intro to tri's labor day weekend with a small OLY

Event comments:

Another CMRA race, for 35 bucks a year for the family - it is a great bargain!

Last updated: 2011-06-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:56 | 05 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 7/86
Performance: Average
HR didn't seem to pick up well on the run - bummer, I could have used the feedback.
Course: Crushed stone paths and dirt trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?