United States
Elite Racing
Precipitation
Total Time = 29m 41s
Overall Rank = 510/795
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Light stretching, small pastry, a banana, some energy gels, a lot of water.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Run
  • 29m 41s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 09m 35s  min/km
Comments:

I wanted to have an average pace at least under 10 min, preferably under 9 min. Endded up with 9.33. Despite trying not to, I started too fast (7.54). And that was with alot of hills still in front of me - I knew I was going to have trouble. Mile 2 time was 18:05. Water station was at mile 2. (I wish thay had more water stations then just 1). I was finally able to get my breathe after the hills during mile 2 and now settle into my pace. It didn't last long - there were more hills. Some small long grades, and then one monster grade. I thought the finish line was at the top of this grade (several hundred feet long), and gave it all I had up this hill. About 2/3 up the hill I realized, the finish was somewhere beyond the top of the hill. I was gassed and had to walk a little bit - I told myself I wouldn't walk, but couldn't help it. At the top of the hill, I started jogging through the last 2 small grades, and then was able to dig down one more time and actually sprinted the last strectch (it was FLAT - thank you Lord!). I was really exhausted when done. It was harder than I expected...stupid hills. Anyhow, it was good to get out there. I am going to do a 10K in 3 weeks...
What would you do differently?:

Not have stomach flu week of race...arrive a little earlier (about total of 1 hour early)...SLOW down at the start...not walk AT ALL...bring some music so I don't get distracted and think too much while running. The mental part of the event is as important as the physical part (at least for me). It's hard not to compare yourself to everyone running past you (this includes kids, people many years my senior, people pushing strollers, and a pregnant lady. That pregnant lady kicked my butt she just cruised (big stomach and all).
Post race
Warm down:

light strectching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills, my lack of not training better. I had stomach flu at beginning of week, but don't think it was a factor (except cutting into training time).

Event comments:

Other than not enough water stations, it was great. I thought it was well organized.

Last updated: 2004-02-23 5:04 PM
Running
00:29:41 | 03.1 kms | 09m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 504/795
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3