Ragnar Relay Series
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 53m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I was runner 6 so I drove the van for the first 4 legs. For the 5th leg I changed in the van and stretched as soon as we got to the exchange point and had some Gatorade or something, I can't remember.
Event warmup:

None unless you include 5hrs of driving! Just stretched and then ran when my teammate reached our exchange.
Run
  • 2h 53m 15s
  • 21.9 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I had 4 legs in the race that were distances of 8mi, 3.2mi, 2.9mi and 7.8mi. There were 11 of us instead of 12 so three of us had to pick up each of the missing person's legs which I did the last one. It ended up pretty well since he was going to be runner 5 and I was runner 6 so I ended up just running straight for almost 11mi on my last run. I've got to say, though, this was one of the best times I've had for a race! Not only was it a running race but also kind of like an adventure in a van trying to meet the current runner up at certain spots and then making it to the exchange area on time without getting lost. Well, we did veer off the course a few times but we always made it. All my teammates did awesome, everyone finished, and I was especially proud of my best friend (that doesn't run a whole lot) who completed her 4 legs of the race! So fun, everyone that's a runner should try one of these!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I had good paces throughout my 4 legs except for maybe my last leg where I may have went out too fast in the beginning and ended up walking for about 1-2min in the last mile, but that's ok, I still ended up with an 8:14/mi pace.
Post race
Warm down:

After my last leg I went straight for the pancakes they were selling and then went to sleep in the van.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than I had to run 3 times in 24 hours including 2 somewhat longish runs? Nada!

Event comments:

Oh, was there a party at the end like no other! Ragnar puts on a great race for the experience!

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:53:15 | 21.9 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started in Madison, WI and ended at Montrose Beach in Chicago for 197mi. It was mostly roads with some trails, which actually the last 7mi of my last leg was all trail running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes