General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to the sport Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-29 2:04 PM

New user

Subject: New to the sport

Hello all,

My name is Ben, and I have been running and racing in the military since 2006. I have recently decided that I want to complete an Ironman in a few years. My boss has done a few and has given me some advice, but it always helps to get others views and advise.

I am 24 years old, married, 2 dogs (labs), and run just about everyday. I need to focus my energy at meeting this goal... Please point me in the right direction!!! Thanks for listening!

V/r,

Ben

2011-06-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3573251

User image

Master
Subject: RE: New to the sport

Welcome to BT!  One of the best places to get the direction you are looking for.

AND, thank you for your service!

C

2011-06-29 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO
Welcome to the world of triathlon!

BT is a great place to find information and motivation to keep at it.

My advice is to view triathlon training as a long-term (if not life-long) fitness program. Triathlon offers a balanced workout for your body and an effective way to prevent overuse-type injuries (biking and running strengthen complimentary leg muscles...biking is low-impact...swimming is no-impact).

Also...you don't have to complete an Ironman to be considered a triathlete. A goal of going from "beginner" triathlete to Ironman triathlete in 2 years (for me, anyway) would be a difficult goal to achieve. It may not be for you, but it would be a shame to burn yourself out when a sprint, Olympic, or half IM can offer similar satisfaction.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Jered
2011-06-30 5:52 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Welcome Ben> I would stop running every day now that you have made triathlon your goal. Reduce running to 3-4 times/week and add swimming and biking workouts. There are training plans available here depending upon what type (length) of triathlon you are training for. You can also find a lot of advice on equipment. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to the sport Rss Feed