DQ Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 1s
Overall Rank = 281/370
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/18
Pre-race routine:

I woke up and grabbed a bowl of Mixed Berry Cheerios for breakfast. I filled my camelbak and water bottle, and headed out the door. For some reason, it took me longer than expected to put the bike rack on the back of my car. After getting everything in place, I headed out for the 40 minute drive to the race. Unfortunately, I left about 15 minutes later than I had planned. Since I was running late, I took a wrong turn. My directions told me to turn right on the road, but it neglected to say that I should go past the road and take the jug handle to head in the other direction. By the time I got there, there were cars everywhere and I had quite a hike to the registration table and transition area. I got my race number and goodie bag and set up my transition area in once of the few remaining racks.

I took a wrong
Event warmup:

The long walk from the car to the transition area. (I had too much stuff in my hands to ride.) After the pre-race meeting, there was another walk to the swim start.
Swim
  • 09m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't feel as strong on the swim as I had in my past two triathlons. It might have had something to do with the fact that I only swam twice in the past two months. I started out fairly strong, but seemed to tire too quickly. The swim is usually one of my stronger events. After seeing the official results, I'm not happy with my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Since I got to the transition area so late, the only open racks were near the swim exit. The transition area was set up along both sides of the road. The swim exit was at one end and the bike was at the other. I had to "run" the entire length of the transition area with my bike, which proved to be difficult in bike shoes.

Not get lost heading to the race and get there earlier.
Bike
  • 35m 58s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a great bike. I was passed by one person during the first 6 miles and throughout the entire course I was flying past people. In the second half, I was passed by 10-15 people. The only problem that I had was with the gel that I ate. I tried a Clif Shot for the first time (not a good idea). It caused a lot of phlegm that I had a hard time dealing with. Other than that, it was a great ride. The new bike races very well.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

This transition felt pretty good, with the exception of the long "run" back to my rack.

Arrive earlier.
Run
  • 33m 36s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run so far this year. I was able to run the entire distance, only walking through the water stops. My pace was slower than I would have liked, but I was running instead of walking. During the run, I think I figured out why the run is so difficult for me (aside from shin splints/leg issues). First, I can't run in hot and humid weather. This was the first race where it wasn't in the 90s and very humid by the time I got to the run. I also realized that when I start breathing heavy, I tire very quickly and have the urge to walk. By breathing through my nose and out my mouth, I was able to keep my breathing and heart rate under control.

Nothing today. Maybe at the next race push the pace a little bit. In the off-season, I need to work on my running. It's the only thing keeping me from being a solid MOP.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and then walked back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training after my last triathlon. Due to looking for a new job, vacations, and work, I pretty much took the month of July off from training. II bought a new bike at the end of July and signed up for two more triathlons to get myself back into it. I was good during August, but only made it to the pool when I was at my parents house. More time in the pool would have made the swim easier.

Event comments:

This race was great. I would recommend doing this race next year.

Last updated: 2005-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:01 | 440 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 140/370
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts and Sports Bra
Course: Point to Point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:58 | 11 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 207/370
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around country roads; some rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:36 | 03 miles | 11m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 337/370
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back in the subdivision around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-04 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Subject: DQ Tri at Marlton Lakes

2005-09-05 1:25 PM
in reply to: #240408

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: DQ Tri at Marlton Lakes
Good Job. I really enjoyed this race as well. Weather was nice, lot of the course is shaded, and the swim was different. Still can't get used to seeing the person next to me stand up in the middle of the lake.
2005-09-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: #240408

New user

Cherry Hill
Subject: RE: DQ Tri at Marlton Lakes
Hey Lt Dallas,

I couldn't agree more with the post that it is strangely unnerving to be swimming as hard as you can and then turn to see the person next to you running by. I actually had to stop swimming and float on my back for a few strokes to catch my breath from laughing so hard. The race director remarked several times that drafting was illegal on the bike and would result in a two minute penalty / disqualification but there wasn't any comment on the swim "runners."
Last year it was the same thing and it kinda lowers the standards of the final rankings when no penalty is assessed to the water runners. But other than that, I think this is an extremely high quality event. I circle this weekend on my calender and register as soon as I can to avoid missing the cutoff. I think you did a great job this year and expect you to be passing me next year. Have fun in the off season and catch up to ya next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DQ Tri at Marlton Lakes Rss Feed