abita springs
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:00 am for some oatmeal, wheat, banana, and coffee. big glass of water too. last night i changed the clocks before retiring, spring forward right? i gathered all my gear into the car, racked the bike and drove off at 5:00 for an hour drive. (urgent stop at gas station thanks to all the water) arrived at 6:00, parked across the street and hauled my stuff to the transition area.
Event warmup:

6:30 am. the day is beautiful but cold. it must be in the 50's or so, and windy. everyone is shivering. the spectators are all bundled up in sweaters and jackets and look bleary eyed. are we crazy or what? so here i am, the first race of the season. i stretch a little and run some on the beach. the water is calm and a beautiful blue-green, but i know it's cold. i wade in-i don't want to lose my breath. oooh! it's cold, some tough types have no wetsuit. man. a few moments and it begins.
Swim
  • 14m 21s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

the swim was tougher than i thought. it wasn't the cold as much as the darn wetsuit that seemed to impede my arm and shoulder movement. i was struggling by the time i got to the first buoy. ooof! i was winded but determined at the end.
What would you do differently?:

maybe use a different wetsuit or no wetsuit at all.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

can't complain about my transition. much better than last time. well-prepared layout and all. i was huffing and puffing but moved ahead. the wetsuit came off really easily, so that was a good thing. putting on my socks took most of my time.

try it without socks maybe
Bike
  • 1h 02m 58s
  • 30 kms
  • 28.59 km/hr
Comments:

i was really huffing on the way out of T1. but i was kind of pushing it anyway. after a few miles or so i calmed and worked on going faster, pumping the pedals, working on technique, unfortunately i didn't seem to go very fast. maybe it was the wind. so i relaxed a little and put it on an easy gear. i started to feel better and again tried to go faster, but no. people started passing me which i expected anyway. but more and more showed up and i knew the later waves were showing up, because the girls who started after the guys were speeding by me on their zipps and kestrels and what nots. so i chugged along, resigning myself to my pace and looking forward to that tailwind that never came. sigh. at about mile 15 i see a referee taking notes as he passes me by on a motorcylce. uh? what? i guess i took too long in passing the guy on my right or something because my final results show a penalty of 1 min. ugh.

relax and take it easy. forget about speed. enjoy the ride. don't draft!! the last thing i want to do is cheat, so it makes me feel really bad when something like that happens. this race was very well organized. officials everywhere. also drink more. my bottle should have been empty or close to it. then again i don't want a full stomach for the run. but i tend to forget to drink. i'm going to get one of those aero bar bottles and keep it near my face.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

a little slower than what i would like but still not bad, for me. i was pretty winded so i fumbled somewhat with my changing.

speed laces!
Run
  • 24m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

i'm not sure if i got enough to drink. i didn't feel thirsty. i took a cup of water on the way out and a second one on the second turn. i was pretty winded and i cursed myself for going too hard on the bike, if that was the reason. i couldn't run as fast as i know or thought i could. i grinded on actually worried if i could make it. well, i wasn't going to stop. by the final lap and after a little water hmmm... i felt a little energy coming in and i pumped it up a bit. i had to stop to tie my one of my shoe laces (definitely go for speed laces). but i came in feeling a little stronger.

again not worry about my time. just enjoy it. and leave my best efforts for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

took some water. picked my stuff up and took it to the car. left the bike in transition as we couldn't remove the bikes yet. went to the restaurant for the post race party and had my bowl of jambalaya. that came down pretty good. no beer for me though. not yet anyway.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i'm not sure. partly shoddy training, and partly general fatigue. energy sapping jitters didn't help any either. the cold weather and water might have played a factor. i may have not been warmed up enough and my muscles might have suffered for it. my calves are sore now and that never really happens. my butt muscles and hams were really sore immediately after the race but abated the next day. i don't know. a better warm up might be in order.

Event comments:

a good, well organized race in a nice area. i think it was tougher than i expected due to the conditions. that was the general commentary at any rate that i heard at the race. people complained about the cold and the wind. but all in all it was good. i just have to be better prepared.

Last updated: 2004-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:21 | 600 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: surf suit
Course: a triangular course running clockwise. 150m out towards the left buoy. 300m to the right buoy and 150m back to the shore. looks kind of distant. the wave starts from the beach, run in and swim out.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:58 | 30 kms | 28.59 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 18.6 miles on a road alongside the beach. 9.3 miles out and back. the announcer said there was a headwind on the way out and therefore a nice tailwind on the way back. well, it felt more like a crosswind to me. not bad really, but i didn't experience the promised tailwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:53 | 05 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: a double loop around the beach park. asphalt trails. it was weird. it reminded me of a go cart or small car race track with winding loops. a little toyland race track if you can imagine that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes