General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Fly Tri - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Fly Tri - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 105/430
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/29
Pre-race routine:

Got the transition area set up. Did some mantra breathing. Okay, that was a lie.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water and swam out and back to get the stiffness out of my shoulders.
Swim
  • 07m 8s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was relatively easy pace for me. There were so many people in the way, half the time I just couldn't get through and had to wait. People were swimming straight across the pack. It was a mess. Swim was done and I was on the bike like I had done nothing at all.
What would you do differently?:

Push to find a line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

For some reason I cannot run fast right out of the water. Always makes me sick to my stomach.

Practice running right out of the water.
Bike
  • 58m 52s
  • 21 miles
  • 21.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike felt good to me. It was windy on the way out and I felt pushed around a bit in the front end. This was the first time I really had a chance to ride at high speed in the wind with my 808 and it was definitely noticeable. By using my power meter I was able to keep myself in check on the way out. I pushed pretty hard and had a blast passing a bunch of people and was able to stay with a group of a few guys, but then when we turn to come back uphill they dropped me within a few miles and I only saw one of them at the end of the bike. Tried to keep my watts in the 230 range and ended up at 234, so I'm cool with that I guess.

Not much. This was a pretty good bike for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I attempted the riding on the shoes thing for the first time today. Worked out well. Makes it much easier to run without bike shoes on!
Run
  • 43m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Although this run was hard, I was able to push the pace a couple times. I was hurting pretty good on the way out up those little hills. On the way back I was able to hold 7:30 pace for a good section and as long as held off people from passing me for the most part.

I really need to push it on the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited in line for a massage and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited experience on hills with tired legs. In training I could push through the hills, but during the race when my legs were already tired and my heart rate was up there, I couldn't push very hard.

Event comments:

This is a great race, run by great people. The event food is kind of crappy though. For this price, I would expect a bit more.

Last updated: 2011-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:08 | 440 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 36/430
Performance: Below average
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise with about ten or eleven buoys. Crazy course if you as me. There were four turns.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:52 | 21 miles | 21.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 56/430
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 165 AVG POWER: 234
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with a lollipop type loop. Mostly downhill on the way out.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:25 | 05 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/430
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. A couple small hills and gradual uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: Black Fly Tri - International Distance

2011-07-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3590256

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Black Fly Tri - International Distance

I feel pretty sure that it's best to run with the same effort up the hills as on the flats.  You will obviously slow down quite a bit, but you reach the top fresh and able to accelerate more quickly back to your pace.  And if you relax down the hills you can get some really good speed without any effort. 

The reason I have a completely different approach to pacing hills on the bike is that you aren't supporting your weight and can recover on the downhill at a pace higher than your average speed.

2011-07-12 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3591010

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Black Fly Tri - International Distance
JeffY - 2011-07-11 3:35 PM

I feel pretty sure that it's best to run with the same effort up the hills as on the flats.  You will obviously slow down quite a bit, but you reach the top fresh and able to accelerate more quickly back to your pace.  And if you relax down the hills you can get some really good speed without any effort. 

The reason I have a completely different approach to pacing hills on the bike is that you aren't supporting your weight and can recover on the downhill at a pace higher than your average speed.

Yeah, I completely agree with this.  I try my best to take it easy up the hills.  Sucks because it is like a fast walk!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Fly Tri - International Distance Rss Feed