World Triathlon Corporation
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 34s
Overall Rank = 986/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 103/161
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special got about 3.5 hours of sleep. Was a busy and hectic day before race day. We were in Michigan on vacation and I didn't get many workouts in should have a least got a swim in but didn't. On the way back from MI, I started thinking about what I had with me and what I didn't have...hmmmm..a little late..get to Muncie to my wife's cousins house (across the street from Ball St.)..let's see..where is my USTA card? My race belt? of course in Greenwood--more than 2 hrs away..Need a new bicycle helmet too..Ok..go to pick-up my packet and I buy a new helmet, race belt and read the general rules. 6 o'clock..time to drop my bike off at the Resevoir..back to the house...time to think about nutrition..need Gatorade or something and Clif Bars..OK...check got them..8 o'clock time to eat..spaghetti, salad, hydrating..good..Thanks Marianne (wife's cousin)..around 9:30 pm now..time to think about getting my transition stuff together...number on my helmet, on my race belt and my new triathlon suit (2 piece) good..10:30 now..bathroom break 3 times before midnight..finally asleep..wake up bright and early at 3:30 a.m. good 3.5 hours sleep..lol..banana for breakfast and gatorade...
Event warmup:

Load up at 5 a.m. get to the transition area and wait...Wave starts at 8:30 a.m. Get in the water a bit and wait with the other flourecent orange swim caps.
Swim
  • 43m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not too bad considering my trainng time and no experience in open water swims..My 1st Triathlon in 11 years...and it was a 1/2 ironman..silly
What would you do differently?:

Not much, train more
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Traditionally my transitions are slow..but I tried to relax a bit and talked to one of my bike rack mates..Rob Bowers. Anyway, wasn't too bad considering.

Not much
Bike
  • 3h 01m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I suck on the bike but this was good for me.

No much
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Not a bad transition for me.
Run
  • 2h 24m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Very hot..and my legs just didn't want to function. My left leg started cramping at the end of the bike and then my left knee felt like i tweeked it. So walked the fist 2 miles. then ate a banana and seemed to get a little legs back. Ran and walked the rest of the way. The last 3 or 4 miles I kept company with a Julie from Springfield, OH and we talked that was great, I think we helped each other out.

Bricks with a long run followed by a run. No of those in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did some stupid things one I had never raced in my new Tri suit and the top was too tight. I felt like I couldn't breath, at first I thought it was just the swim but it got progressively worse during the bike. My wife asked why I didn't take it off. I read in the rules that you had to have your shirt on the entire race. I tried to lift my top up so I could breathe during the run but it kept slipping back down. Had a hard time breathing the entire race. Be more prepared, do not use anything that you hadn't trained with. Prepare nutrition stuff well in advanced of a race.

Last updated: 2011-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:03 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/161
Overall: 680/
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Tri Suit
Course: 1.2 mile swim-boy it seemed a long way to first buoy..Not a bad start. got grab and bumped at bit but the start was not so bad. Relaxed on the swim as I knew I didn't to waste any energy. Last 50 yards got hit in the chin, on the head and my leg pulled on. Not a good last 50 yards or so.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:19
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:01:08 | 56 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/161
Overall: 1105/
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: OK. the 1st 10 miles I thought I was going to crush this course, averaging over 20 mph..then we had to turn around into the wind..oops..the next 10 miles were tuff..then we turn and the next 10 miles were good then back into the wind.. the last 6 miles were brutal with winds and hills. Overall though very good for me..My legs started cramping at the end though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80-
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average