ran a little; ate a banana, tried not to puke
Event warmup:

ran a little
Swim
  • 20m 42s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

fun, crazy swim. There were logs to slide over in the river and the intermediate climb was nuts. I was sliding all over the place.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear slick shoes for the island run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I didn't time this, but it took me about 4 minutes. Slow slow, but my main goal for this race was to race smart, finish, and have a good experience. Plus, my bike shoes are lace-up and velcro, so they took a little time.

AFter a few more xterras under my belt I'll get better shoes, and I'll also feel more confident about hurrying throught transition
Bike
  • 2h 36m 14s
  • 16.16 miles
  • 6.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Don' laugh at this bike split, please. I am very inexperienced on the mountain bike. My first lap was abysmal - crashing like crazy, getting used to having that many riders on the singletrack, and trying to stay calm while racing. My first lap was close to 90 minutes; second lap close to 60 minutes. (T1 is included in bike split) Had a chick scream at me quite nastily on the first lap, but to my satisfaction I passed her handily on the second (with courtesy and grace, I might add). I climbed extremely well and had most trouble with wet roots, muddy descents and failing to clip in with so much mud in my cleats. Plus, I'm still chicke *&%# on the windy descents. After all was said and done, I finished the bike course feeling great and smiling.

Ideally, I'd be able to practice on the course numerous times - I'm confident my bike split would've been closer to 2 hours had I been more familiar with the course on the first lap. But, I live 4 hours away, so that just won't happen. I'd also carry a camelback and drink a lot more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again slow. But I was so happy to have finished the bike course with over an hour to spare that I just wanted to take my time. T2 time is included in run split.

Nothing.
Run
  • 52m 21s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a fantastic run! After working so hard on the bike, and doing many many little uphill sprints running my bike up rooty sections, I expected to be fried. But my fitness and trail running training kicked in and the legs felt awesome. I was getting quite dehydrated though, and the 2.5ish miles to the first water station seemed to take forever. But, I had a nice time on the run and enjoyed the course - challenging and shaded except for the last mile.

I could've pushed harder on the run. But I was passing enough people as it was, so whatevs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk. Drink. x 17

What limited your ability to perform faster:

inexperience, moderate dehydration.

Event comments:

Not getting an aid station until 2.5 miles into the run sucked, but logistically I see why they parked the station at that point in the trail. This race was a very difficult one for an xterra newbie - at least the bike course was - but I'm glad I did it. I will do it again next year and see how much time I can lop off. I wish they'd do it in May instead of July.

Last updated: 2011-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:42 | 820 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 0/134
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: swim in river, run/climb over an island, swim in a holding pond
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:14 | 16.16 miles | 6.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Muddy, lots of short hills, tons of roots, tricky descents, nasty climbs, a few flat less technical sections. Fun once I got used to it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:21 | 04.97 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Performance: Good
Course: Singletrack, mainly flattish with a few short hills in the beginning and 2 longer hills at the end. T2 is included in this run split, and I know that took me at least 3 minutes. So I really snuck in under 10 min. miles.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 10:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Xterra Whitewater

2011-07-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3591856

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Xterra Whitewater
Sounds like an extremely fun event!!! I may give it a shot next year.
2011-07-12 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3593462

User image

Extreme Veteran
It really was. It's a totally different animal from on-road tri. Good luck at Louisville - I have several friends doing that next month.  At least you're getting used to heat ahead of time, lol.
2011-07-13 4:20 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Great report!  Welcome to the dirty side of things.  There are always interesting things thrown at you on ALL setments.  Fun stuff fo sho.

2011-07-18 12:40 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Congrats Shop Cat! Whitewater is definitely a course that takes practice so you did an awesome job for going into it blind and wet. I ride their often and trail conditions were slick enough that I was trying to warn riders of areas to look out for. Also check out the trail run series there in Jan. good time to get to know the trails while they are frozen instead of wet. See you next year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra Whitewater Rss Feed