General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-12 3:11 PM

Veteran
Subject: Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit
Has anyone ever gotten a pre-fitting with the intentions of not getting a bike at that location?  I want to get a pre-fitting and find out what to look for, but have full intentions of buying a gently used triathlon bike and not a new bike.  Thoughts?

2011-07-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3593279

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit
I would be up front with your intentions and expect to pay for their time and expertise in helping you in your search.

Shane
2011-07-12 3:22 PM

Veteran
I would totally be up front and let them know before the fitting.  No question.  I just wonder if people do that, or if it is a common practice.  And also is it possible to do this.  Will I be able to get a good idea of what to look for bike wise (brands)?
2011-07-12 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Houston

It is often recommended when people ask about buying a used bike, so yes.. I assume it is done.

You would probably be best served by doing both the pre-fitting, and the post-fitting, with the same LBS.  Then you may end up buying some various upgrades at the shop while you are there.

2011-07-12 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
It depends on the LBS/fitter; some will be able to give you a good idea of your fit coordinates while others will basically be able to tell you which of their bikes you would fit best. If you call around to a few LBS's and talk to some local athletes, you should be able to get a good idea of who can help you get on the right bike.

Shane
2011-07-12 3:28 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Because the bike industry has not done a great job of standardizing the words we use to describe the fit process I'm not sure what you may be describing.

In general, the fit process ought work something like this:

Step 1: The client's body is measured to determine dimensions. The most prominent relationship is the ratio of torso length to leg length: Are they a long torso, average torso or short torso person?

Step 2: Based on the data collected in step 1 two things coud happen:

1. The measurements from Step 1 are used to configure a fit bike into an optimal configuration for the person's dimensions. The person then rides the fit bike and further (smaller) adjustments are made to optimize the position based on feedback from that experience. Some fitters will use instrumentation such as a Computrainer Spin Scan, a Power Meter, etc. to illustrate some quantitative value or effect to the changes as they are made. Based on the findings from the fit bike, a prescription for an optimal configuration (either on an existing client's bike or some new bike) is made by the fitter.

2. Skip step above- no fit bike. Use the dimensions collected in Step 1 to go directly to a specific bike if the customer is bike shopping or to make direct improvements in the customers existing bike.

That describes the fit process most commonly employed.

2011-07-12 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3593292

User image

Elite

gsmacleod - 2011-07-12 4:16 PM I would be up front with your intentions and expect to pay for their time and expertise in helping you in your search. Shane

x2....you will need them again after you buy that used bike to get the bike "dialed in" for you.....plus have you asked them if they have any used bikes?

I made a slight error when I bought mine, I got a new bike from one shop for a great price but they did a shabby fitting, and another place that does a great fitting had no sales on bikes...so one way or another I was going to pay!...its better to find a local place that you can get to easily and form a relationship because you will need them.

good luck in the search

2011-07-12 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3593323

User image

Expert
Alabama
Tom Demerly. - 2011-07-12 3:28 PM

Because the bike industry has not done a great job of standardizing the words we use to describe the fit process I'm not sure what you may be describing.

In general, the fit process ought work something like this:

Step 1: The client's body is measured to determine dimensions. The most prominent relationship is the ratio of torso length to leg length: Are they a long torso, average torso or short torso person?

Step 2: Based on the data collected in step 1 two things coud happen:

1. The measurements from Step 1 are used to configure a fit bike into an optimal configuration for the person's dimensions. The person then rides the fit bike and further (smaller) adjustments are made to optimize the position based on feedback from that experience. Some fitters will use instrumentation such as a Computrainer Spin Scan, a Power Meter, etc. to illustrate some quantitative value or effect to the changes as they are made. Based on the findings from the fit bike, a prescription for an optimal configuration (either on an existing client's bike or some new bike) is made by the fitter.

2. Skip step above- no fit bike. Use the dimensions collected in Step 1 to go directly to a specific bike if the customer is bike shopping or to make direct improvements in the customers existing bike.

That describes the fit process most commonly employed.

Tom,

What's the best way to get fit for a tri bike?  Some local LBS just look at you and then "recommend" a bike based on what you look and maybe some very prelim fit (no actual measurements), and of course they are going to recommend something they stock.  They then do a "fitting" after the bike is purchased to adjust for any "experience" problems.

Do they just have a really good rough idea from experience about which bikes fit which folks?

I would love to have a Cervelo P2 or P3, but are those really the best fit for me?  I have no idea.

What's the best way to make sure you get the right bike/frame for your body?

And, sorry I totally hijacked the thread.

Edited by pilotzs 2011-07-12 3:47 PM
2011-07-12 3:47 PM

Veteran

One of my big problems is there is not a great selection of tri bikes in my area.  I would need to go to Richmond or DC.  Guess I need to find the best tri-bike fitter in my area nd go from there.

2011-07-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3593352

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I think I've done somewhere north of 5,000 bike fits since the late 1980's. I can tell you from my experience that I cannot "just look" at someone and "eyeball" what bike they should be on. I cannot.

As a matter of fact, there have been frequent occasions when I've taken a set of measurements of a client and gotten data that seemed so odd I re-took the measurements to verify their accuracy. Upon doing so- and finding out they were correct- I then when on to do a good fit that would have been very different from any result I would have produced by "eyeballing" it- and I've done thousands of fits.

You can't "eyeball" a fit. What's more, I think the customer is owed a little more than a wink and an eyeball and a spin around the parking lot. when someone is spending over a thousand dollars on a bike they should be measured. They should get a more structured, dimension driven fitting.

Fitting and positioning needs to be more standardized. That is a big part of what Dan Empfield was doing when he started the F.I.S.T. triathlon bike fitting school and the stack and reach database.

Fitters have a responsibility to clients to provide a tangible service. Not just an eyeball guess based on their extensive "experience".

2011-07-12 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

This place does pre buy bike (tri or road) fits both in person but also remote with various technology. I know many folks that are happy with his fits and help.

Doing this might be a better way to get fit well and have brands and sizes of bikes recommended that would work for you best.

2011-07-13 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I just recently had a "pre-fitting" done.  It was a great learning experience.  The fit cost $375 and $200 of that could go to a bike in-house.  Fantastic deal I think.   
2011-07-13 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It all depends on the fitter... the better LBS's sell the bike fit others, simply see bike fitting as a way of selling a bike. Subtle difference? Not really... the first will have issue with you getting a bike fit and then you can determine what bike would be the best geometry for you; the second will try to sell you a bike that close to your needs...

In general, I would say that you should expect either to pay slightly more for a bike fit without a purchase (or in some cases, the $ is the same for either, but part of the fitting cost will be applied towards the purchase of bike at that LBS).

Either way, be honest with the LBS. If they have no objections, then I would say this is a good LBS that you should keep. If they flat out refuse, tell them that you're going to look for a different LBS since they are clearly not interested in your business anyways.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit Rss Feed