United States
City of Carlsbad
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/38
Pre-race routine:

I did this race last year and loved it. But I decided to skip it this year and do a tri in St George, UT instead. Well, after the St George race, I still really wanted to do this race. I asked my friend Mark, who I bike with, if he wanted to do it, but the ocean swim thing freaks him out. Legoland is in the same city, so I thought maybe we could make a family vacation out of it. Unfortunately, Max is not an amusement park kind of guy and the thought of bringing my almost two year on the trip was exhausting.I also didn't think she would have a lot of fun being trapped in her carseat and stroller for big parts of the trip. So, I considered just going by myself, but felt kinda guilty about spending the money (drive, hotel room, etc) on myself. I mentioned this to my best friend, Jamie. Turned out that her husband was out of town that week and she offered to come with me and bring her two kids. So that's what happened. On Saturaday morning, Jamie and I drove down to Carlsbad with her two boys (ages 5 & 3) and my two boys (ages almost 6 & 4) We spent the whole day at Legoland & then I woke up at 6am & drove to the race. Thankfully, Jamie stayed at the hotel with all the kids so I could do this event.
Event warmup:

I remembered last year that parking was an issue, so I got there early and was able to park fairly close. Last year I had to park over 2 miles from transition & ride my bike there. That was a little stressful. This year was much more relaxed. Since I got there early I had some time to kill. I jogged up and down a pathway next to the beach & chatted with some other racers.
Swim
  • 30m 52s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Haha. I just checked bad to about every box in this section and that about sums up the swim. I consider myself a decent swimmer. Not fast, but MOP. My estimated time for this swim, based on my previous races, was about 21 minutes. Well, the best laid plans... I swam this course last year and remember having to fight the waves a bit to get going, but I remember thinking it was no big deal, kinda fun actually. Well, this year, I almost quit the swim. I got caught in the waves and couldn't get past them. When I was swimming under the waves I could feel them pulling me back. Everytime I wouyld lift my head up for air, I would see another wave about to come down on me and think "I hope I have enough air to get under this one". My goggles fogged up and I couldn't see any other swimmers or bouys. A lifeguard came up to me and informed me that I was way off course and redirected me. The waves really disoriented me and I had no idea where I was going. I finally got back on course, but was never able to get into a good rhythm. I saw that all the caps around me were pink and white meaning my group of green caps was long gone. I just tried to stay with the pink caps, but at that point I just wanted to get out of the water. I could care less about my time since I knew it was gonna be bad. I just wanted to move on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not get caught in the waves. Seriously, I don't know what happened & why I had such a problem getting out there.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Ok, this is the one part of this race that annoys me, the timing on this race does not give you a T1 & T2 time. Instead, both transitions are rolled into your bike time. So I set my bike computer to know my bike time & just estimated at the transition times. Transitions are something I need to work on. This one went ok, but lots of room for improvement.
Bike
  • 49m 2s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm going off the time from my bike computer here. During the swim, I told myself, "If you quit, you won't get to do the bike. So get through this!" Since I've been working primarily on my cycling this year, I really wanted to do this course again and see how much I could inmprove. So I tried to push it right from the start and stay in as hard a gear as I could that still allowed me to mantain a good spin.I thought I handled the change from hills to flats good. I thought I gave a good effort and was happy with my overall time. Last year, I averaged 15 mph, so averaging 19 mph this year was great.

Nothing. I was happy with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Again, time is an estimate. Ok transition.
Run
  • 32m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt tired going into this run. I think the crappy swim and going hard on the bike took its toll. I think I just sorta zoned out and got through it instead of pushing myself. In my last two races, my run time had been under 30 mins, so I was dissappointed with this time but not surprised. I was tired and felt a little dehydrated.

I don't have a Garmin, but maybe just wearing my watch could help me pay attention to my pace. Like I said, I didn't consciously give up, but I think I just zoned out and ran at a slower pace than I should have.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossd the finish line, I hussled to transition, grabbed my stuff and headed back to the hotel. Jamie & I took the kids to Legoland again for a few hours (we had a two day pass), then we headed home. All in all a great weekend. Even though this wasn't my best race, I was proud of my bike performance and happy to get to have a great time with my best friend & kids.

Last updated: 2011-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:52 | 1094 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:02 | 15.53 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills. Two loops round around a street along the coast. Very scenic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:24 | 03.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-13 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Carlsbad Triathlon

2011-07-13 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3595532

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Triathlon

Awesome bike Jackie!!! :-)

You'll do GREAT on Pumpkinman!! 

2011-07-14 5:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Great job. Really nice bike pace.
2012-03-26 10:10 PM

New user

San Diego
Hello! This will be my first triathlon EVER! I am really excited! Started training 3 weeks ago doing the Olympic free training program. So far going well! Any tips for a newbie?Cathryn
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Triathlon Rss Feed