84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 33s
Overall Rank = 47/73
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 30/6
Pre-race routine:

Night before:
Pack the truck with everything I need. Usual dinner, a beer, and tried to get to sleep early but wife wanted to watch “The Kings Speech” which left me getting to bed after 11pm (but a good movie!)
Morning of race:
Alarm set to for 4:10am. Up and ready to go. PB sandwich and Diet Pepsi for breakfast. Make another PB sandwich for the road and grab a banana. Check email and I am on the road only to find I left my banana at home. Two plus hours later I am at the race. This will be last time I drive the morning of the race to this race. Either a hotel or stay at friend’s camp. Way too much driving prior to a race.
Get to the race, check in, rack up, get my chip and numbered, bathroom break (yep, real bathrooms here!). Talk to a couple of racers. One I have seen at several of the T-Gators. He mentioned he has a camp and for the races next year I can sleep in one of the rooms there (if there is space). Sounds good to me as this is the only I think I am going to do these races again.

Swim
  • 13m 49s
  • 525 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall Ranking is all males.

As soon as we get to the water I have my cap and goggles on and I am in! Water is a bit warm for my liking but I have been in warmer. I am in the last wave and talk to a few racers as they are waiting on their wave. I noticed one guy using a snorkel, first time I had seen that but to each his own. Finally it is time and I get near the front, it is a deep water start and we are so spread out that you can be at the front and not have someone behind you. Announcer yells Go! And we are off. Not a bad swim, probably the straightest I have ever swam. I tried to push some and did pass some folks. Swim until my hand hits ground, stand, take a step into a pot hole and fall. Nice! Get up and gingerly pick my out of the water then start running up the hill.
What would you do differently?:

While I swam straight I think my sighting slowed me down. Need to improve this.Not sure why my swim was so slow but the fall and climbing out of the water took forever. But in my defense 3rd in my AG was only 10 seconds faster on the swim and 2nd was 47 seconds. If I hadn’t fallen I might have placed 3rd here. The good news is that compared to 2010 I shaved off 31seconds. A PR is a PR! The best swim time was 8:07.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

On the run to T1 I take off my cap and goggles and I am at the bike. Helmet and glasses on and I am heading out of transition. Quick, easy, flying mount and I am gone.

Practice
Bike
  • 44m 32s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I get going, get my feet in my shoes and start pushing. My Garmin is hanging on my aerobars and decide to leave it there. From here its pass and be passed. At mile two someone from my AG passes me. Dang, based upon my calculations that puts me in 4th in my AG. On the way back I get near transition and shift to a lower gear to spin a bit, take my feet out of my shoes, pull my leg over and coast a ways then dismount. Have to admit it looks pretty dang cool.

Train harder
My main goal for the ride was to avg 20 mph and I hit it!! Felt good the entire ride and really could have pushed a little harder but held back a bit so I could run a bit afterwards.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Dismount and jog to my rack spot. Helmet off, put on my hat, grab my Garmin and race belt, slip on shoes and I am off. I made the decision to run sockless for this race. Have done it a few times and under 3 miles I am fine. It helped and knocked off about 9 seconds from last year.
Run
  • 23m 33s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall Rank is for Males, Ladies were grouped separately.
Head out on the run and put on my hat, race number and Garmin. Hurray! No leg cramps at all just very hot and humid. Fairly brutal as the course was pretty much all in the sun and the humidity wasn’t helping. Very thankful the run was only 2.5 miles.
I start out really slow and am passed by some folks. By about the .5 mile mark I am picking up steam and start passing a couple of walkers and slower runners (not that I am running very fast). Hit the turn around and an aid station, throw some water on my head and take a quick drink. Soon I see someone else in my AG and pick up the tempo. I get to him and we joke about catching a 16 yr old up above. We both keep a good pace but I finally say I want to catch the kid and head off. He goes to a walk. I tried, really tried to catch the kid but he kept looking back and matching my pace.

Speed work
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity on the run and my lack of training on the swim

Event comments:

Good race but a bit too far to drive for me.

Last updated: 2011-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:49 | 525 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 49/73
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: POint to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:32 | 15 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 47/73
Performance: Good
Overall Ranking was for all Males. Females not included.
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with two small hills and some rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:33 | 02.5 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 47/73
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with some hills. Asphalt and little shade. Very Hot!!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-16 6:13 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: T-Gator Series - Race #3

2011-07-17 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3599738

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: T-Gator Series - Race #3
Nice race and congrats on the 20+ mph bike leg!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » T-Gator Series - Race #3 Rss Feed