Overall Rank = 53/270
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Swim
  • 08m 12s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam in the 2nd wave. Male AGers 40 & above. Lots of fast swimmers in the group. Stayed at the rear and wide left at the start. Swept right to the 1st buoy where it got crowded and a little physical. From there I continued to stay left of the pack (easy to do since I naturally drift left). I don't have any idea how many people I passed or how many people passed me (I was that far left of all swimmers). Swept right again at the last buoy and then into shore.

Overall a good swim for me. My positioning added a little distance on the swim but that's OK. Much, much better swim than FIT in May. Great swim conditions (the Gulf was calm). Forward sighting during the swim worked well.
What would you do differently?:

Just more swim training with an emphasis on OWS's. I wish I had put my Garmie in the swim cap to see how badly I zigzaged.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I gotta work on this stuff. I always have to sit my fat butt down to put socks on. Gave away over a minute to most of those who finished in front in the AG. Perhaps, racing without socks in the future?

I was slow in T1 but I also was penalized by the course setup a bit. The swim entry and the bike exit were the same. My rack setup in transition was on the opposite end of this exit. So I had to run down transition on swim entry and back out the same way on bike start exit. Not a long distance or a big deal but depending on where your bike was positioned in transition there was a bias.

Practice transitions.
Bike
  • 37m 10s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike (for me) as well. Put in a solid effort the entire trip. Flat, fast and shaded with no wind. What's not to like !! There was one place on the course where it got bumpy which surprised me and got me out of my aerobars. On the trip out maybe 3-4 people went past me. All legit. However, with 4 miles to go the train come flying thru. 5-6 guys going fast (23-24mph) close to one another (not much of a gap). What's up with that? I know for a fact the really, really fast dudes at the front of the race were racing legit because I could see them on their trip in while I was heading out. Not those guys.

Nothing really short of making an investment in a bike. My $475 KHS Flite 220 with clip on aerobars gets the job done but the people that were passing me on the bike had some nice bike setups. Not saying it would make much of a difference but at least it sure does look sexy!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Ho, hum. Not bad but everybody that finished ahead of me in the AG did it faster.

Practice transitions.
Run
  • 26m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

The run wasn't horrible. However, I was a bit disappointed in the results. The "reach goal" was just under 8:00/mile pace. Honestly, I thought I would come in at 8:05-8:10 pace. I ended up doing 8:22 which isn't that great. However, it was really hot/himid out there on the run (no shade like on the bike). Also, since the calf injury I have not gotten the run volume or intensity where it needs to be. On the bright side, the calf didn't give me problems today at all.

It was actually inteeresting and I have never had this happen to me before but...

as I was nearing the end of the race people were cheering and it sounded like they were saying somebody was coming up from behind me. When I heard that I was able to put it in another gear and finish strong. Interesting enough, it didn't hurt anymore when I notched up the effort. Makes me wonder if I should of increased my effort earlier in the run.

Nothing really. I know what I have to do in training to fix this.
Post race
Event comments:

1st time doing this event. I thuoght the organizers did a great job and I'll do this race again in the future.

Last updated: 2011-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:12 | 400 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 0/270
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:10 | 13 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/13
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:08 | 03.11 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/13
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: Englewood YMCA Triathlon

2011-07-19 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3600131

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Englewood YMCA Triathlon
Very impressive times - congrats
2011-07-19 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Swim - very nice.

T1 - I have that problem, too. My times are laughable compared to yours, though.

Bike - You were cookin'!

T2 - Yes, practice makes perfect. Or so they say. 

Run - You're fast and nothing you can say will ever make me change my mind.

Congrats on a solid race!! You did marvelous!

2011-07-21 12:34 PM

User image

Expert

Nice report - thanks for posting  It was a fun race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Englewood YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed