FRPM
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 53s
Overall Rank = 8/283
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/20+/-
Pre-race routine:

Protein shake and some water before leaving home. About 8 ounces of water right before the race.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 20m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough run, but decent finish. Started off in front, got to the single track entrance in 9th place. Took 3 spots on the single track in some opportune places and then lost 2 places (to the top female and the winner of the 40-44 age group) about 2 miles in. No one passed me after that and no one else was around to chase...so I just kept my pace up and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Well I probably went out too fast, but if you don't sprint to the front before getting to the single track entrance, you'll be trapped in traffic...so...nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for about 5 minutes. Drank a Coca Cola.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trail conditions, heat, humidity. The usual stuff. It's summer in Florida, I can't run 19s in the summer.

Event comments:

FRPM knows how to do it. They are consistent and fair. Activities are always good.

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:53 | 03.11 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/20+/-
Overall: 8/283
Performance: Good
So much for even splits...but hey...mostly trail...ouch. 628 642 658 043(640pace for last .11)
Course: It really is hell on this course...mud, roots, rocks, stumps, etc. Some pavement. Starts on pavement in the park and goes about a quarter mile before entering the single track. The course goes along the trail until almost a mile and a half. After that there's about three quarters of a mile of pavement, but then it's back to trail running again until the end of the race. So...about 2/3 of the race is on a trail. I'm pretty happy with a sub 21 5K on a trail like this...especially when I'm slogging thru mud for most of it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes