United States
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 1s
Overall Rank = 21/47
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Had an odd morning. This was the weekend of the Thompson family reunion in Twin Falls ID. Also, my brother-in-law Daniel needed to go to the airport. So Christi and I woke up at 5am to drive him to the airport with about 3-4 hours sleep. Yippy!

Well, dropped him off and got some Burger King for breakfast. Came back to the camp ground, got dressed and semi organized and picked up my bike, Jeff and went to the race in my dad's truck so Christi could stay at the camp ground and come later
Event warmup:

Setup transition, had to squeeze in next to a diva with a nice bike, nice wheels and who thinks she needs 800 sq feet for herself in transition. Sigh. Got the wet-suit on and watch the Olympic distance athletes start the swim. Jumped in the water and did a little warm up about 10 minutes before the start of the race.
Swim
  • 21m 42s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was okay. I feel the speed wasn't great, but I was happy that I didn't over do it in the water. I have been going to hard in the water, not gaining almost anything and being dead for most of the bike and part of the run. This time I took it easy and tried to be smooth. I still need to get in the water more often, and do some open water swims in my wet suit.

Also time includes climbing a latter out of the lake at the dock, and running a couple hundred yards to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. I just need to continue training and getting faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Ok transition. I would like to have some more urgency and obviously more space. I didn't have a towel, but that was okay.

Get my transition setup earlier so I could have more room. I also had a lot of time to get my wet suit down to a better position but didn't take enough advantage of that on the run up to transition.
Bike
  • 56m 41s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike. I felt I pushed well and did a pretty good job. I gained some time on this leg. I still know I can improve, but I'm happy with what I did. I stayed aero most of the time

Keep up the bike training. I need to get back into power intervals.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I did something a little different this time that worked out well. I took the time to put body glide on the bottom of my feet and it worked great. No hot spots and no blisters sock less.

I can always be faster!
Run
  • 41m 11s
  • 5.25 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run. The course looks like it was a half a mile short. Felt good on the run and really passed a lot of people. I used my cool wings by De Soto and LOVED them. Kept them wet and they really kept me cool.

Not much. Just keep getting faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Not a ton. Just drank some water and had a bagel and cream cheese. Stayed with the family and watched my friend Jeff get his first ever podium, 1st in his age group!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to stick with it and keep training hard. This was a tune up race for Spudman in two weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

Event comments:

Good race, close to home. It's small, but the price is right! It was a great time with some great friends. Jeff did great, the Passey girls had an awesome relay and my buddy Ryan also did very well. A great bunch of people!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:42 | 880 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/47
Performance: Average
Suit: De Soto
Course: The course was an out and back in Dierkes Lake in the Snake River canyon. Guessing about the water temp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:56:41 | 17.5 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Performance: Good
My bike computer was weird, but did get working. So here is the info on the last 15.33 miles. Avg Power: 171 Avg Cadence: 77 Avg Speed: 19.49 Work: 477 kJ Norm Pwr: 182
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course that was a TON of uphill for the first half and great down on the back end. It starts with a climb out of the Snake River Canyon.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:11 | 05.25 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99945882
Course: Killer course! Start the run around the lake, then you have to go up the canyon. Not on a road, but a trail. You gain over 110 ft in less than .2 miles. Fun way to start a run!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No