United States
BAA
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 10s
Overall Rank = 401/695
Age Group = Males 20 - 24
Age Group Rank = 34/43
Pre-race routine:

Ate oatmeal, and drank a gatorade (small). Drove to the race which took about 20 minutes due to detours.
Event warmup:

Jogged alittle outside the transition area. Stretched out after the jog.
Swim
  • 17m 25s
  • 1080 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out bad. Poorly organized wave start. Waves started in water, but first wave waited 10-15 minutes doing nothing but treading water until start. My arms felt like all the blood rushed out of them during the swim. The tide was coming in, so the first part of the swim was alot more difficult than the rest. Also, starting with the elites might have screwed with my rhythm to start.
What would you do differently?:

Not kill myself at the start. Not swim around the water for 10-15 minutes until the start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good layout at transition. Rip the number on my shirt but it didn't hurt me during the race. Spent some time just catching my breath.

Spend less time recouperating from the swim. Nothing else.
Bike
  • 41m 21s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike, with a good speed throughout. The road was flat and fast and only hit some winds at mile 8-9. Felt fast towards the end and really pushed to get past people during the race. Lots of racers pasted me during this part. Time includes both transitions.

Go faster, otherwise it was good.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Quick transition. Don't think I can speed it up any.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt tired to start but picked up after the second loop. However, it was so demoralizing to see the finish than have to turn around for the rest of t he run. Lots people afterwards were saying how they started spiriting only to find out that there was another lap.

Not much. Kept a good pace and finished with alittle kick, but not much of one.
Post race
Warm down:

Drove home, napped for a few hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My recovery after the swim caused my transition to go alittle slower than I would have liked. Maybe I should do some swim bike workouts next season to get my body use to that transition.

Event comments:

I liked the race course, but it was so poorly organized I have no intention on doing it next year. At the end of the race, they had people finishing with no where to go because the bike a ruun courses blocked them in. Also, there were no drinks/food for the finishers. I had to take water from the table set up at the start of the run. It was just poorly managed.

Last updated: 2005-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:25 | 1080 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 455/695
Performance: Average
Suit: Not-full too big wetsuit
Course: Lap around the building.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:21 | 12.4 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Overall: 471/695
Wind: Some
Course: One loop with a weird place to have the turn around.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:24 | 03.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 273/695
Course: 2 loops around the industrial park in Boston.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-09-06 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Boston Triathlon

2005-09-06 12:18 PM
in reply to: #241411

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: RE: Boston Triathlon
Good job, JP!
I have to agree with your critique. I couldn't get at a cup of water after the finish line! We were just herded back into the WTC where I had some water left on my bike. There was a table there, but they weren't handing out water, they were busy directing traffic. There were a bunch of 1/2 full used cups on the table, but I wasn't that desperate!
Also, if you were in the first wave, you DID have a really long time to wait. My fiance commented that you guys must have been exhausted before the swim even started!
Anyway - good job! Keep at it!
2005-09-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: #241411

User image

Pro
MA

Good job in the race.  If I had known you before, I would have try to meet with you at the race.  I brought a sign with the words "Beginner Triathlete.com" on a big carboard, placed in the middle of the TA close to the 300-400 bib area.  Somehow it got flipped backward.  It's the blank white board that you might ahve seen. 

Hey, at least you know there were 2 loops.  I lost tract and didn't know about the 2nd loop,  so I DNF'd.  Heard from racers of last year that they changed it.  Only 1 longer loop last year.  I swear I saw 3 markers that read "mile 1", "mile 2", "mile 3" along the run route.  Or were they in km?  Also saw arrows of "5K è".  I was confused. 

2005-09-06 3:49 PM
in reply to: #241558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Hey thanks!

I didn't get to see your sign, but I would have stopped and said hello if I did. The run was confusing, I remember only seeing the mile 2 sign twice. I pasted it the first time and looked at my watch, thinking that I was flying during my run. I didn't understand all of the 5K arrow signs either. I mean, the run was just down the road and straight back twice, so they didn't need all of those signs. I heard people talking that last year's run was much better with just one loop.

The thing that really bother me about the lack of planning was the fact that I wanted to hang out after the race. All of my previous triathlons I have just finished, milled about getting my stuff and left. So when there was no reason to hang out afterwards I was bummed that I didn't get to talk to other athletes and swap racing/training stories. Maybe thats why I find myself lurking more often in the forums now.
2005-09-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: #241628

User image

Pro
MA

I think the sprint 5k route is different from the Pros' oly route.  I stayed to watch the pros and saw that they actually ran 6 laps of some road partially overlapping with our route.  There was a guy holding up the "4 laps to go", "last lap" kind of signs for the pros.  I wish they did that to the Age Groups. 

So far the New England BTers are pretty good at planning to get together.  Read the "who is racing" forum. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Triathlon Rss Feed